TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
WhiskeyTango

Xfinity "Watchathon Week" - Tons of free content

Comcast is offering a bunch of shows, many from HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax, as well as other networks, through 3/31 On Demand and online for free. I use my old S2 to record On Demand content and I plan on trying to get all of Game of Thrones, Camelot and Hunted. I'd also like to catch up on Spartacus, Banshee, Strikeback, & Generation Kill but I don't see how I'll have the time to do that.

Here is the list of shows they are offering.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
derektem

Hi,
I am a fairly new owner of a Premiere 4. One can actually record the free shows from Xfinity on Demand? How do I go about doing that? Sorry if this might turn out to be a trivial question.
Thanks in advance!

-Derek
derektem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
WhiskeyTango

AFAIK you can't do it on newer units. It only works on the older models that were hooked up to a cable box.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
derektem

Ohh... okay. Darn!

Okay, thanks for the reply.
derektem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Zevida
witless and unarmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
AFAIK you can't do it on newer units. It only works on the older models that were hooked up to a cable box.
I have a Series 2 with lifetime I was thinking of ditching but I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Can you explain how to record on demand content with a Series 2?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- billypritchard
Zevida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
WhiskeyTango

Sure. You would put the Tivo on a channel that has a long enough program to fit what you want to record. I like to use the news channels that have large blocks of time so I don't necessarily have to start at the top of the hour. Then use the cable box remote to put on the On Demand channel which leaves the Tivo on what it thinks is a different channel. Go in and select the show and start playing it. When you do that, hit record. The Tivo will think it's recording the news or whatever but is actually recording what is being played on screen. I do this in my bedroom so it doesn't affect my TV watching in the living room. Just let it play and come back when you think or know the program will end and stop the recording. The title for the show will be wrong but it will have the show you wanted. I hope that makes sense, if not just let me know and I'll try to be more clear.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
Can you explain how to record on demand content with a Series 2?
If you have a DVD recorder, you could most likely use that too.

I use my XS32 (hard drive/DVD recorder that's much closer to a VCR in UI than a Tivo) ALL THE TIME to record stuff from my Tivos.. INCLUDING from On Demand. Not to record for keeps, but to
record so I can still skip the (sometimes limited) commercials in On Demand and/or watch faster
than realtime (like I do with MOST reality shows/talk shows/documentaries).

Once in a while something is 'copy once', but I can still record it. I've only hit a few copy protected shows, but I suspect all HBO shows are probably that way. (The stupid but entertaining conspiracy show with Jesse Ventura is one that once or twice for some reason was copy protected..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Beryl

Works on XFinity players and onDemand with my Premiere 3. I just dropped my premium channels so I'm happy to watch stuff I never got around to watching when I paid for it.

(I hope this can be the "official" thread for announcing free Comcast premium content.)
Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
mattack

BTW, I wish they'd do something like this during the SUMMER. I'd likely use it more.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #10
javabird

Xfinity "Watchathon Week" is coming up again - March 31 through April 6

http://www.xfinitywatchathonhq.com

I just got a new Roamio - will it be possible to record shows from HBO during this week to watch later?
javabird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
WhiskeyTango

Sweet, I was able to snag the first two seasons of Game of Thrones last year. I can get season 3 this time and maybe pick up one or two other series.