TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 77 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #2101
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravingfans View Post
Great advice all! I'm upgrading from S3 to Roamio Plus and not sure if my CableCards are the MCard variety or not. Is there a way to tell by physically looking at it, or by any of the TiVo settings or diagnostics page?

From the discussion, I think I would like to plug the old CableCard in, run through Guided Setup, replace HDD, re-run Guided Setup, then call TWC to get it paired
You might check the CableCARD Decoder screen. It may tell you. It should also be indicated physically on the card.

Edit: If you've had it for a while, they are most likely s-cards so you'll need to obtain a new card.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #2102
jschaffhauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
My experience is with the Motorola M-Cards. My recommendation is like those above. See if they can connect with a cableCARD expert. If not then ask to go their supervisor. Keep on going up the chain. I have Charter and rarely do I luck out and get someone right from the start that knows cableCARDs. I have gone up 3 supervisors before finding someone that knows what they are doing. In a sense what needs to happen is to delete the pairing and then perform the pairing all over again. Most tech support people just want to send a hit to the card. That only works if nothing has been changed. Here is TiVo's link for the Cisco cards.

I used to let them do truck rolls but I find the tech has the same issues except they usually have a more knowledgeable person when they call for support. Now I just call back different times during the day to get someone who listens and troubleshoots without going by their script. Rarely will a truck roll is needed to pair a cableCARD, especially if it was working just prior to a drive upgrade.
Thanks everyone... I walked away for 4 hours, came back and everything was working. No idea why it wasn't authenticating when I was on the phone with TWC but I'm getting my channels now!
jschaffhauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #2103
dbpaddler

Easy as pie. Did the setup, swapped in the 3tb Red. It ran through the setup again, and 475 hrs or so of hd recording. Had to unpair and re-pair my cable card, but all is good.

My only but is the tivo website shows it active, but it doesn't show as an option to record shows. Just shows my other two units. Figured it couldn't be 100% smooth. And very annoyed nome of the new units can do both OTA & cable. Makes no sense.
dbpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:56 PM   #2104
ravingfans

Update: I swapped of of my M-Cards and the tuning adapter from my old S3 to my new Roamio Plus and called TWC. Within 5 minutes after reading off the codes and confirming a couple things they sent the signal out and we were testing the channels, all of which worked on first pass. Got my new 8TB WK kit (I know, I could read the forums and with a bunch of time get it done for a bunch less!) and went through the CableCard setup again and it also came right up.
ravingfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:25 AM   #2105
HarperVision

Not sure if this is a good deal or not, but figured I'd pass it on just in case. WD Red 3TB $122:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008...640_em_1p_0_ti.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:52 AM   #2106
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Not sure if this is a good deal or not, but figured I'd pass it on just in case. WD Red 3TB $122:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008...640_em_1p_0_ti.
Newegg had a 4-pack deal on them for $399 just the other day. Limit 2 packs per customer. I passed, even though I had the funds. Newegg tends to have them for as low as $115, about once a month.

Due to the issues with TLER/ERC that comes factory-enabled, on all Red & Purple drives, as well as other brand "NAS" drives, which can't be persistently disabled across power cycles, I'm wishing I had stuck with AV-GP (at least for my TiVo drives). I had bought three 3TB AV-GP drives a short while back, for $115 each, then sold them at cost to a member here, before realizing that the issues I thought I'd figured out with my Reds, were likely to re-occur.

There's also the fact that without changing the model numbers, WD has been shipping updated versions of Reds, with NASware 3.0, and most resellers are not guaranteeing what you get, making it "luck of the draw", and 2.0 can't be upgraded to 3.0. So, buying a few WD30EFRX drives could get you either the old, or the new (or even a mix). Most of the differences have no real impact, unless actually used for RAID, and in a use where you need what 3.0 has.

For those who have no issue tempting fate with TLER effectively crippling half the error correction mechanism, when used in a non-TLER host (like a TiVo), or having other uses for the drives, I wouldn't pay more than $120 per drive. I was hoping to see a super-deal on 2.0, to clear inventories out for the 3.0 drives. I guess that's not going to happen.

If anybody doubts what I say about TLER drives being used without a controller that can't complete the other half of what TLER does, just contact WD and tell them you want to use a Red or Purple in a TiVo. They don't support that, and will say you are using the wrong drive.

WD will also confirm that the AV-GP line has not been discontinued, is not scheduled to be, and despite Newegg claiming Purple is the newer model AV-GP, it's not true, and they are not interchangeable. RAID feature enabled drives belong with RAID enabled hosts, able to make TLER a Pro, instead of a con.

Just see this post here: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...2#post10270152 , as well as the post immediately following it. That way I don't have to carry it all over to here.

I'm rather upset that I gave my blessing for using Red drives, only to find out I shouldn't have... The link I just gave is addressing somebody who ordered an AV-GP drive, specifically, and received a Purple, instead. This was through an Amazon seller, and was completely wrong to happen. Purples actually tend to be cheaper than AV-GP, plus the cons of being a TLER drive...
Old 10-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #2107
jellyandtoast

I'm new to this so please bear with me.

About 4 months ago, I upgraded the stock drive in the Roamio Basic to the WD 3TB AV drive.

During the recent reboot loop debacle, I noticed that the upgraded hard drive upgrade on my Roamio basic was making some strange 'clicking' noise on occasion (especially during the initial phases of the reboot loop). So at first I thought the reboot loop issue was because my drive had gone bad, though I have no idea if the two issues are related. I did the Kickstart 54 SMART test and noticed that all 3 of the HD tests gave me a "Fail 7" error. I didn't do the offline test since it takes forever.

Should I pretty much assume the HD is done for and I should be getting a warranty replacement? Could this have been caused by the reboot issue or was the bad drive causing reboots?

Any help would be appreciated. for reference, the drive in question is the WD30EURS.

thanks
jellyandtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:42 AM   #2108
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyandtoast View Post
I'm new to this so please bear with me.

About 4 months ago, I upgraded the stock drive in the Roamio Basic to the WD 3TB AV drive.

During the recent reboot loop debacle, I noticed that the upgraded hard drive upgrade on my Roamio basic was making some strange 'clicking' noise on occasion (especially during the initial phases of the reboot loop). So at first I thought the reboot loop issue was because my drive had gone bad, though I have no idea if the two issues are related. I did the Kickstart 54 SMART test and noticed that all 3 of the HD tests gave me a "Fail 7" error. I didn't do the offline test since it takes forever.

Should I pretty much assume the HD is done for and I should be getting a warranty replacement? Could this have been caused by the reboot issue or was the bad drive causing reboots?

Any help would be appreciated. for reference, the drive in question is the WD30EURS.

thanks
If you can hear clicking on any EURS drive it's not a good sign. While it's still running use kmttg or TiVo Desktop to copy all of your shows, and use kmttg to back up your Season Passes.

Once your data is safe (or as much of it as you can get), pull the drive and run WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic on it. You'll have to do that anyway to get an RMA number.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #2109
telemark

Just after the reboot loop night, I copied the logs off a stock 320GB AV-GP, and tried to reimage it to a larger drive. Then discovered the whole drive was not readable. Missing: 208,896Bytes according to ddrescue.

Short test on PC fails.
Then ran KS 54 to see how it reports, and it said Fail 7 across 3 SMART tests.

Can I blame the reboot loop? No, cause my box never rebooted except I unplugged it for this testing.

Drives fail. But too often we only notice when we go look.

I bet your drive is already bad. WD will confirm that for certain. Did the extra reboots contribute, maybe it tipped an already failing drive to fail then. But be glad it made you check now instead of later where it would be worse off.

PS. Did you happen to run KS54 when you first installed it? 4months might be infant mortality.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #2110
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Once your data is safe (or as much of it as you can get), pull the drive and run WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic on it. You'll have to do that anyway to get an RMA number.
I had RMA'd a couple of drives to WD and they didn't ask for any diagnostics data to be sent along. Both were 1 TB drives and I got back a 2 TB and a 1TB. I have not even done anything with these drives except to put them in the closet.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:37 AM   #2111
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
infant mortality.
Such a grim term.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #2112
dbpaddler

Quick question. Can I swap a drive from a Roamio to a Roamio Plus without formatting? Wasn't thinking when I bought the basic Roamio that it couldn't do OTA and Cable. Still quite annoyed at that. Since I'm going to stream and do Moca and my buddy I'm setting up isn't and is all ethernetted up. Was going to do put the Pro drive in the Plus and my 3TB drive in the Pro and set him up with the Plus and some Minis.

I have a Premier and HD with lifetime, but was thinking about selling both and just picking up a basic Roamio down the line so I can still do OTA in one room instead of putting a Mini there.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #2113
telemark

Moving drives between boxes requires at a minimum Clear&DeleteEverything.

Between Models, it's believed that even more than that is needed, but we only had one report so far, going from a Roamio Basic (4) to Roamio Pro/Plus (6 tuner).

What models are you moving between? Between Pro<->Plus, C&DE might be enough.

But you should be prepared with the factory reset code when you find problems.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=factory+reset
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:19 AM   #2114
dbpaddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
Moving drives between boxes requires at a minimum Clear&DeleteEverything.

Between Models, it's believed that even more than that is needed, but we only had one report so far, going from a Roamio Basic (4) to Roamio Pro/Plus (6 tuner).

What models are you moving between? Between Pro<->Plus, C&DE might be enough.

But you should be prepared with the factory reset code when you find problems.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=factory+reset
Just swapping between a Roamio Basic (the 4 tuner) with recordings on it to a Roamio Plus which is brand new. Rather do it sooner than later before I fill it with movies I can't transfer.

I don't mind doing the retailer reset on both after the swap. Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #2115
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
... Was going to do put the Pro drive in the Plus and my 3TB drive in the Pro and set him up with the Plus and some Minis.
That makes no sense. The Pro comes with a 3TB drive and the only difference between the Plus and the Pro is the drive size.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:46 PM   #2116
dbpaddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
That makes no sense. The Pro comes with a 3TB drive and the only difference between the Plus and the Pro is the drive size.
I thought I was confused for a second, but I think you are now. I'm not swapping between a Plus and a Pro. I'm swapping between a standard and the Plus. I put a 3TB Red in my standard one. I didn't need 6 tuners and only have 3 TV's total where I'd never be watching more than one at a time and have never needed to record more than three things at once. My buddy watches less TV than I do.

But now that I have the scare in me about the red drives, I suppose I can format and sell the red drive then and just buy the Pro. Or buy the Plus and 3tb AV-GB and sell the 1tb drive that comes in the Plus. Is it worth it to buy the Plus and separate 3tb AV-GB and sell the 1tb that comes with the Plus? It seems like it's only a $100 difference with the discount code. Think the buying, selling and installation isn't worth the hassle at that point.

If my buddy gets close to filling up the 500gb in the standard I have a 500gb Tivo Expander collecting dust I can connect to it.

Does all that makes sense?

Last edited by dbpaddler : 10-13-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #2117
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbpaddler View Post
I thought I was confused for a second, but I think you are now. I'm not swapping between a Plus and a Pro. I'm swapping between a standard and the Plus. I put a 3TB Red in my standard one. I didn't need 6 tuners and only have 3 TV's total where I'd never be watching more than one at a time and have never needed to record more than three things at once. My buddy watches less TV than I do.

But now that I have the scare in me about the red drives, I suppose I can format and sell the red drive then and just buy the Pro. Or buy the Plus and 3tb AV-GB and sell the 1tb drive that comes in the Plus. Is it worth it to buy the Plus and separate 3tb AV-GB and sell the 1tb that comes with the Plus?

If my buddy gets close to filling up the 500gb in the standard I have a 500gb Tivo Expander collecting dust I can connect to it.

Does all that makes sense?
I was responding to what you wrote in the sentence I quoted.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #2118
dbpaddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I was responding to what you wrote in the sentence I quoted.
Definitely my bad then. I was confused as to the three models at first.