TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #31
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
It was amazing that they completely ignored the fact that over the course of the show it's been demonstrated over and over that dumb Carter ain't that dumb, and that much of his job is (as I said earlier) saving the world from the smart folk of Eureka.

He's been portrayed as a pretty amazing guy, and to defend him as "Sure, he's stupid, but if you don't like stupid people you're just prejudiced" misses the point by, like, light-years.
I'm with you there. Carter is not and has never been stupid. In fact, he is resourceful and highly intelligent, and is able to think on his feet in an emergency. He just is not educated as well (perhaps excessively) as most of the rest of the town, or at least G.D. Failing to recognize the difference is not something of which most highly intelligent people are guilty.

One of the things I like most about his character is he is not stymied by overwhelming situations, and that is a mark of a particular and very rare sort of intelligence. That, and of course his courage is way, way above the mark.

Last edited by lrhorer : 06-25-2012 at 01:33 AM.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #32
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehusen View Post
Yeah. I'm glad they just didn't go with the standard "it will eventually kill you if we don't fix it". But then I thought ... "Really? You took a guy of average or lesser intelligence and made him a super genius. Not just smart by able to assimilate years of data in a day. And you are just going to throw that away???"
Well, I agree it was handled in a ham-fisted manner, but my take on it is the human psyche is not a bunch of leggos linked together to form a sapient being that can be swapped or moved around to create a new consciousness. One cannot fiddle with one aspect of one's mental machinery without impacting many other areas.

Quote:
I understand that he became "jerky" but if he were truly "logical" now, why would his new brain ever decide to give it up?
Presumably because in spite of his new found hyper-objectivity, he was still deeply in love with Allison, and at the core of his being was willing to do or give up anything for the sake of someone he loves.

Quote:
A better ending would have been Allison giving him the shot without his permission because she wanted her Carter back and not the super genius that would solve all the world's problems. It would also fit with her current crabbiness about everything.
Well, in fairness, I saw her point. For a lot of her recent behavior, someone needs to take her out back to the wood shed, but in this case, I'm on her side. As someone who has had to deal with more than one family member whose entire personality was shifted by a cerebral event, I can tell you the result is frightening and frustrating. Suddenly the one you loved is not the person you knew any more, and the helplessness that stems from feeling there is nothing one can do about it is overwhelming.

That said, I still crack up at the thought of her thinking she was going to have to choose between Jack's body with Fargo's mind in it or Fargo's body with Jack's mind in it.

Last edited by lrhorer : 06-25-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #33
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Wow. Just wow.
Can't handle the truth, eh?
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #34
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccbf View Post
What amazes me is that I like Wil Wheaton. He is sort of play the same role he did on STNG only without the goody-two-shoes image over it. Not a likable character, but he does work.
Yes, he is doing a fine job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccbf View Post
Allison and Jo have always been a little hard and cold to me. I'm more of a Holly person myself. Though I would like to have seen more of the woman that owned the laundry that Carter was dating for a while.
To each his own. Holly annoys the heck out of me, but then I am nothing like Fargo, and she fits very well with him. Both Jo and Allison have to be hard in their professional lives, but neither of them is cold. I would be happy to have either as a partner. Allison has been in need of an attitude adjustment for at least part of this season, though. The redeeming thing, however, is she seems to know it well enough. She seems genuinely sorry for stepping over the line.

Last edited by lrhorer : 06-25-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #35
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
How about the entire series?
No, she has always been a focussed and driven individual - no one who is head of a massive organization, and especially not one with as many loons as GD running around, could ever possibly be effective if they were not. Look at Nathan Stark, or for that matter look at Fargo now. This season she has stepped over the line a couple of times, though, especially now she is no longer head of GD.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #36
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemir View Post
Boy, do I agree with both comments here! Wheaton is doing a great job with the character. I was only surprised that Zane and Fargo didn't think of asking for his help with the Holly project - isn't he supposed to be doing something with organic bio?? There's not a shred of doubt that he'd be jumping on board with pretty much anything to restore her to a body.
Very likely, but it is also a very dangerous gamble. Presuming one knows how another person will react is a highly risky proposition.

Quote:
Allison is a intellectual snob.
A bit, but then so is the Wheaton character, and indeed most of the town. 'Occupational hazard, I suppose.

Quote:
I wasn't fond of her to begin with, but when she didn't give a bloody blue darn about how the changed timeline affected anyone else, I lost all sympathy for her. I understand how she wanted a world where her autistic son was normal, but she didn't care how it screwed anyone else up as long as her little part of the world was good.
In other words, she acted just like any decent mother would, and indeed any father. A person can be as nice and sweet as the day is long, and willing to give of themselves perhaps even right up to the ultimate sacrifice, but when it comes to their offspring, a parent will do anything and do it to anyone for the sake of the welfare of their child, and rightly so.

Quote:
Jo is so fixated on being stronger and tougher than the men that she comes off as hard and cold. I don't think she's necessarily cold, but so afraid of being hurt or not measuring up that she puts up a very cold wall to avoid that.
Again, the wall is hard, not cold, unless you mean her attitude towards Zane. In that vein, there is much in what you say, but when it comes to everyone else, she merely realizes she must maintain her authority, and as such she must provide a strong and uncompromising persona. IMO, it is not just a facade, though. She really is tough and authoritative. That doesn't make her cold, though. It just makes her a good law enforcement officer.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #37
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy

Can't handle the truth, eh?
Hahaha. Just not a part of group think.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #38
cheesesteak
Meh.

I've never had a problem with Allison until the first couple of episodes this season. She was a serious b-word for those episodes but was perfectly fine and correct in this one.

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #39
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
Allison's hatred towards Jo & Carter for something that might have happened if the right conditions were met, then having it carry over for a few episodes, was really annoying and painted her as a really ugly, or at least not ready to be back at work and should be seeing a shrink, and shouldn't be making big life decisions like getting married until those issues are resolved.
I'm sure she intellectually understands that its not something the 'real' Carter and Jo have done, or are likely to do.

But in her defense emotions rarely listen to reason and she did spend a couple months liking in the virtual reality where Carter had picked Jo over her. (feels like dumped her for Jo) I can see where it's hard to keep that from coloring her interactions with them; even when she can objectively realize that she's wrong.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #40
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Boy, do I agree with both comments here! Wheaton is doing a great job with the character. I was only surprised that Zane and Fargo didn't think of asking for his help with the Holly project - isn't he supposed to be doing something with organic bio?? There's not a shred of doubt that he'd be jumping on board with pretty much anything to restore her to a body.<snip>
Seeing that Fargo & Dr. Parrish were rivals for Holly's attention, I would expect Fargo not to consider any help from Parrish for fear that Holly once re-made in physical form would be more grateful to Isaac than Doug. There's also the threat that in the same vein that Isaac would hard code into 'Holly' bias towards him.

But most likely, as was shown in the previous episode, Fargo is very cautious where the physicalization of Holly is concerned, and is reluctant to trust anybody but himself over that matter, and finds it hard to see beyond that which he understands to be possible.
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #41
Amnesia
The Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
The scene where Kevin tells Jack that his uncle is prejudiced was carried off especially well.
"Against white people?"
"No, against dumb people... No offense"
Can someone remind me---who is Kevin's father?

Kevin's uncle looked 100% black as does Kevin himself. Allison on the other hand, definitely does not (and it turns out that the actress has only one black grandparent, along with one Native American and two Caucasian).

Surely Kevin's father isn't Nathan Stark, is he?
Amnesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #42
robojerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia View Post
Surely Kevin's father isn't Nathan Stark, is he?
No.
Kevin's father died shortly before he was born.
http://eureka.wikia.com/wiki/Kevin_Blake

I think that would have been a good twist when they changed the time lines, Kevins father still alive.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #43
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Sorry to bump this thread (I was out of town when it aired) but I can't believe nobody has mentioned the apparent effectiveness of Cognitive Enhancing Drugs in Eureka. If giving these CEDs to one person of average intelligence for a couple of days resulted in Carter being able to disprove Marcus' theories, build a photonic processor, and discover new methods for generating cheap energy, wouldn't everyone at GD be taking them? Wouldn't we have heard about these things before? Wouldn't people at GD want to study what happened to Carter and why the drugs didn't wear off and why he kept getting smarter? Wouldn't they want to perfect the formula so they could get the same results Carter got without the negative effects on emotion and personality?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:34 PM   #44
busyba
The Funcooker

No.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #45
busyba
The Funcooker

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #46
Johnny Dancing
Closet Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Sorry to bump this thread (I was out of town when it aired) but I can't believe nobody has mentioned the apparent effectiveness of Cognitive Enhancing Drugs in Eureka. If giving these CEDs to one person of average intelligence for a couple of days resulted in Carter being able to disprove Marcus' theories, build a photonic processor, and discover new methods for generating cheap energy, wouldn't everyone at GD be taking them? Wouldn't we have heard about these things before? Wouldn't people at GD want to study what happened to Carter and why the drugs didn't wear off and why he kept getting smarter? Wouldn't they want to perfect the formula so they could get the same results Carter got without the negative effects on emotion and personality?
This is a humorous, fun summer sci fi fantasy show not Isaac Asimov.