TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:30 AM   #91
redbeard25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej42137 View Post
You could put electrical tape over the IR window, but then you couldn't control the auxiliary devices like your TV from the TiVo remote.

A better way might be to set the IR address of the remote to something you don't use, like address 9, and set all your TiVo receivers to some other IR address. This is what I have done.

Link to thread discussing how to change IR addresses on TiVo remotes and receivers.
Here's the problem though. I want it yellow (RF) all the time. When I press the Tivo buttons (like, say, the "Tivo" button,) it goes

yellow
yellow
yellow
red
yellow
yelllow
red
red
red
red
yellow
yellow

It's like the remote itself is saying, "I'm not going to even try RF. I'm just going to go IR for this press."

Former:
Premiere Elite LT + 1TB exp
TivoHD (upg to 1TB) LT
Stock TivoHD M2M
S2ST LT
S2DT 200GB
S2ST 200GB
Philips S1 (original 14hr version)
redbeard25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #92
aaronwt
HD Addict

It sounds like something is wrong. I use six remotes in rf mode and they stay in rf mode unless I take it out of range. And I would need to go to the other end of my condo to go out of range. It is pretty far.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:36 AM   #93
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard25 View Post
Here's the problem though. I want it yellow (RF) all the time. When I press the Tivo buttons (like, say, the "Tivo" button,) it goes

yellow
yellow
yellow
red
yellow
yelllow
red
red
red
red
yellow
yellow

It's like the remote itself is saying, "I'm not going to even try RF. I'm just going to go IR for this press."
Same frequently happens to me too. It comes and goes. Very frustrating especially when trying to stop a fast forward. I even bought a new remote but the same thing happens with it.

Last edited by RoyK; 07-25-2015 at 09:41 AM.
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #94
bbrown9

Mine just started doing this recently. I thought it might be the batteries but it says 80% or something like that on the info screen. I tried changing them anyway just in case the info screen isn't accurate. It made no difference.

bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:36 AM   #95
krkaufman

If your remote is having trouble maintaining its RF connection, you may consider adjusting the location of the associated Mini or DVR. My connectivity improved when I moved my Mini from just behind/below our 65" Sony LCD to about 5-ft to its left.

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #96
bbrown9

Nothing has changed with my setup, though. The TiVo and the TV are both in the same locations for a long time. I'm sitting the same disatance away. The remote just started acting funny. I wonder if this one is just on its way out and I should get a new one.

bbrown9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #97
Teeps

My Roamio remote exhibits the same or similar behavior as in post #91.
Has done this since new.
But because of this thread I did not seek a remedy from TiVo...
Guess we are all still waiting for that vapor-ware Margarete implied was coming.

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:33 PM   #98
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown9 View Post
Nothing has changed with my setup, though. The TiVo and the TV are both in the same locations for a long time. I'm sitting the same disatance away. The remote just started acting funny. I wonder if this one is just on its way out and I should get a new one.
If it works fine sometimes and gets flakey sometimes it's the same problem many of us are seeing. A new remote won't help, I can testify to that.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #99
El Maestro

I am sure you tried this, but...

I was having this problem and it was really slowing the TiVo down...I think the remote was sometimes sending IR and RF at the same time, and some button presses would cause stutters/hiccups in video and audio. I re-paired the remote with the Roamio and now it stays in RF mode and I no longer have the stutter issue on button presses. I had to do this once or twice in succession and it's been fine for months.

El Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-29-2015, 07:14 AM   #100
redbeard25

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Maestro View Post

I was having this problem and it was really slowing the TiVo down...I think the remote was sometimes sending IR and RF at the same time, and some button presses would cause stutters/hiccups in video and audio. I re-paired the remote with the Roamio and now it stays in RF mode and I no longer have the stutter issue on button presses. I had to do this once or twice in succession and it's been fine for months.
I didn't think of that, but I just did it, and it seems to help. Odd that it could get in a "partially paired" state. Thanks!

Former:
Premiere Elite LT + 1TB exp
TivoHD (upg to 1TB) LT
Stock TivoHD M2M
S2ST LT
S2DT 200GB
S2ST 200GB
Philips S1 (original 14hr version)
redbeard25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #101
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbeard25 View Post
I didn't think of that, but I just did it, and it seems to help. Odd that it could get in a "partially paired" state. Thanks!
I have done that several times in the 7 months I've had my Roamio. It does sometimes help for a short time but then the problem starts again. Holding down the D button and the tivo button to force the remote to RF mode sometimes works, again for a while. Same experience with both the remote that came with the box and the new one I purchased from Amazon.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #102
convergent

I just installed a Roamio and 2 Minis, and I've noticed the Roamio remote is doing this. The 2 Minis seem to be consistently working with RF with no problem. The Roamio is sitting on an open rack about 7' from me with no obstructions and there is no wireless phone or anything this room. Strange. I'm going to try swapping the remotes around to see if it follows the remote or not.

1 x Tivo HD with DVR Expander (retired)
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner (retired)
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #103
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by convergent View Post
I just installed a Roamio and 2 Minis, and I've noticed the Roamio remote is doing this. The 2 Minis seem to be consistently working with RF with no problem. The Roamio is sitting on an open rack about 7' from me with no obstructions and there is no wireless phone or anything this room. Strange. I'm going to try swapping the remotes around to see if it follows the remote or not.
Is it sitting anywhere near other RF (Wi-Fi) devices, such as a Wi-Fi enabled HDTV?

krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:57 PM   #104
convergent

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
Is it sitting anywhere near other RF (Wi-Fi) devices, such as a Wi-Fi enabled HDTV?
Wifi devices... they are all over the house. There are iPads, Smartphones, and laptops ... probably 10 of them total in the house. I don't think there are any more or less in the different rooms. There is also a router and a couple of Wifi network extenders. If they created a system that is disrupted by Wifi, that is a pretty bad design.

1 x Tivo HD with DVR Expander (retired)
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner (retired)
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #105
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Maestro View Post

I was having this problem and it was really slowing the TiVo down...I think the remote was sometimes sending IR and RF at the same time, and some button presses would cause stutters/hiccups in video and audio.

I re-paired the remote with the Roamio and now it stays in RF mode and I no longer have the stutter issue on button presses.

I had to do this once or twice in succession and it's been fine for months.
Roamio Basic, (a referb, after original RB failed after just 96 days of use.)
I did the "pairing" procedure yesterday.
Had no problems, with the remote switching from RF to IR and back to RF.

However, in reading the instructions on the remote pairing page.
I did not see the indicator blink or even come on when landing on the pair remote page...

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #106
opus472

After an hour in chat with a rep, they're sending me a new remote. Kinda hard to believe it's defective, everything seems to work ok except switching to RF.

opus472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #107
pagefault

+1 on seeing random drops into IR mode with my Roamio/Roamio remote.

Not seeing the same issue with my Roamio/Slide Pro remote in the other room.

pagefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #108
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagefault View Post
+1 on seeing random drops into IR mode with my Roamio/Roamio remote.

Not seeing the same issue with my Roamio/Slide Pro remote in the other room.
I caused a reduction of the IR mode when I did a reset of the remote. It's a pain since it controls my TV and AVR, but I wrote down the numbers. This is my second remote.

JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:20 PM   #109
dougdingle
HD Tech

I have a Roamio Plus (upgraded to a Pro with a 3TB drive), and three minis, and the Roamio and at least two of the Minis have this problem. I have re-paired the remotes, forced RF mode only, and the problem just keeps returning.

This is an ongoing and remarkably frustrating problem for MANY, with no apparent long term solution.

I am reminded of the issue with the first batch of DirecTiVos, where the remote shipped with it was an unresponsive slug. TiVo immediately replaced all the bad ones with new ones that worked. So this is not something totally new, although TiVo's complete lack of response to the problem is.

I am very disappointed that after a decade of being a TiVo customer (since the Series 1), I have to put up with this poorly designed and implemented remote.

It just spoils the entire experience.

dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #110
TonyD79

Didja try new batteries? Didn't see that in your post. May have missed it.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #111
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Didja try new batteries? Didn't see that in your post. May have missed it.
Of course. Devices indicate 100% remote battery level.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:41 PM   #112
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Try a "Global Reset":
https://support.tivo.com/SupportPort...Remote-Control
This is different from just re-pairing.

There is definitely something squirrelly with TiVo RF remote system that allows it to get in a mode where it's RF most of the time but drops back to IR sometimes. In my case the IR drop-backs occur for certain angles of the remote, even though it's only 8 ft from the TiVo. Mine will go for weeks with no IR drop-backs after a Global Reset then will start dropping back. It's never been bad enough to motivate me to ask for a warranty replacement though. (That will happen after my year is up.)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #113
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Try a "Global Reset":
https://support.tivo.com/SupportPort...Remote-Control
This is different from just re-pairing.

There is definitely something squirrelly with TiVo RF remote system that allows it to get in a mode where it's RF most of the time but drops back to IR sometimes. In my case the IR drop-backs occur for certain angles of the remote, even though it's only 8 ft from the TiVo. Mine will go for weeks with no IR drop-backs after a Global Reset then will start dropping back. It's never been bad enough to motivate me to ask for a warranty replacement though. (That will happen after my year is up.)
I've done that to each remote 3 or 4 times now. The problem always returns, just as it does with yours, except mine returns in a few days.

It is utterly ridiculous to have to do anything of the sort on a piece of consumer gear that cost almost $800 with lifetime service while the company stonewalls and issues procedures that need to be repeated often to make the device useful. I'm waiting for the support bulletin that says you have to stand on your left leg while sticking a wet finger into your right ear and holding the remote at a precise 45 degree angle to make sure it stays in RF mode.

Would people be as tolerant of, say, an $800 Samsung big screen which had the same remote dysfunctional issues? I highly doubt it.

Old 05-04-2016, 03:47 PM   #114
atmuscarella

At times my base Roamio has issues responding to it's remote which appear to be RF connectivity issues. Because I pretty much do everything through my Bolt I haven't bothered to try and fix it. Has anyone tried a new remote? If so did that fix the problem or was it necessary to replace the TiVo to get the issues resolved?

R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #115
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
At times my base Roamio has issues responding to it's remote which appear to be RF connectivity issues. Because I pretty much do everything through my Bolt I haven't bothered to try and fix it. Has anyone tried a new remote? If so did that fix the problem or was it necessary to replace the TiVo to get the issues resolved?
If you hit a button on the remote and nothing happens, look at the remote before you try again. If the LED is red, it has dropped into IR mode. Wait a few seconds and try again. My Roamio can not be seen (it's behind a barrier). It never responds to IR. It's the second remote I have tried.

I'm not going to replace the TiVo for this problem. I have a Mini v2 in RF mode and it never has this problem. Could it be the Roamio? Perhaps.

JoeKustra is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 05-04-2016, 09:13 PM   #116
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I have a Mini v2 in RF mode and it never has this problem. Could it be the Roamio? Perhaps.
I have a Roamio Plus and three v2 Minis, and the Roamio and two of the three Minis have this problem.

One of the Minis occasionally acts like its possessed, and will respond to a PgDown command in the guide as if there were TWO PgDown commands issued, after which, without any further button pushes from me, will do two PgUps on the guide, and I wind up where I was. Others have noted this behavior as well.

It is absolutely maddening. Completely ruins the user experience.

For the last decade, I recommended the TiVo to everyone. Now I don't recommend it to anyone, ever.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #117
FitzAusTex

Been having this problem with two Basic Roamios since 2014. Have turned off everything in house including ceiling fans, AC, and even the TV. Nothing helps. Gripping the remote too tightly makes it worse. Moving the direction of remote 2 degrees might help, might not. The ONLY thing that always helps is using the RF dongle that I got with my Slide remote. That dongle works perfectly! Only problem is that it is a crap shoot as to whether the dongle will be recognized by the Roamio. It is only recognized upon Roamio reboot MAYBE 1 in 25 times. I wish I knew how to break or deactivate the built-in RF module in the Roamio, because I suspect that the dongle would then be recognized 100% of the time.

Can anyone help me with locating/deactivating the built-in RF in my Roamio?

FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #118
aaronwt
HD Addict

The recent software update caused me to lose RF pairing with my Slide Pro and my ROmaio Pro. No matter what I did it wouldn't pair. So I needed to force the pairing by holding the TiVo button and some other button on the remote(I think the back button). To force it to pair while on the pairing screen.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #119
pagefault

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The recent software update caused me to lose RF pairing with my Slide Pro and my ROmaio Pro. No matter what I did it wouldn't pair. So I needed to force the pairing by holding the TiVo button and some other button on the remote(I think the back button). To force it to pair while on the pairing screen.
In my case, the remote is clearly still paired - it works in RF most of the time. It's just occasionally that it falls into IR mode for a few seconds.

Since I don't have line of sight, it's basically useless while it's in IR mode.

pagefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:24 AM   #120
dsando

Finding the thread is really interesting!

I have had my Base Roamio and Mini's for almost a year now and have never had a problem with my RF remotes, however I have just started having the same problems describe here.

My Base Roamio with Slide remote keeps randomly switching back and forth between RF (yellow) and IR (red)

My Mini with normal RF remote keeps randomly sending 2 x page down when scrolling through the guide.

I recently replace my wifi access points and thought it may be tied to that, however I am not starting to wonder if it was something in a Tivo software update.

I turn off the AP's and will try to do some more troubleshooting this weekend.

dsando is offline   Reply With Quote