TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 85 votes, 4.78 average.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:46 PM   #931
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
I have fios so my router is moca ready I believe.
Let's assume that's the case...

Quote:
My setup is this...
  • A tan cable (that looks like a thick phone cable) comes out of the floor and goes into a little white box.
  • That box has a Ethernet cable that connects to the router.
  • The router also has a coax cable connected to it that comes out of the floor too
... especially since your connections seem to indicate it is so.

Quote:
If I buy a roamio basic and mini, do I need a moca adapter at the router and/or the tivo/mini? Do I need a Ethernet connection to the tivo/mini? (There is no way I can run Ethernet to the tivo) Can I just hook the tivo/mini to coax and be done with it?
Assuming your FiOS router has created your MoCA network, you will only need to buy a single MoCA adapter *IF* you cannot run Ethernet to wherever your new Roamio basic will be installed. The base Roamio, unlike the Plus, Pro and Mini, has NO built-in MoCA capabilities, and so must rely on a separate MoCA adapter if a direct Ethernet connection is not available.

---
edit: See TiVo's support page detailing how to connect to your home network, specifically under Option 2: Join an existing MoCA network :: TiVo Roamio (be sure to review the associated image)

Last edited by krkaufman; 08-12-2015 at 11:52 PM.
krkaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-13-2015, 08:20 AM   #932
fcfc2

Quote:
Confused and looking for clarification please.

I have fios so my router is moca ready I believe.
My setup is this...
A tan cable (that looks like a thick phone cable) comes out of the floor and goes into a little white box.
That box has a Ethernet cable that connects to the router.
The router also has a coax cable connected to it that comes out of the floor too

If I buy a roamio basic and mini, do I need a moca adapter at the router and/or the tivo/mini?
Do I need a Ethernet connection to the tivo/mini? (There is no way I can run Ethernet to the tivo)

OR

Can I just hook the tivo/mini to coax and be done with it?
Hi, if you cannot get ethernet to your Roamio Basic, you will have to purchase one MoCA adapter and connect it near by your Roamio. Most would just use a 2 way splitter, one leg to Roamio and one to the adapter. Then make your ethernet connection from the adapter to your Roamio and you should be good if you are using one of Verizon's routers which have MoCA builtin. If you don't use Verizon's router then you will need a 2nd MoCA adapter to connect to your router. The mini has it's own built in.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #933
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Can one TiVo Mini gracefully coexist with two Roamios on the same MoCA network and get to the content of both receivers intuitively (meaning, does it have high WAF - wife acceptance factor)?

With the great OTA deal, I am considering throwing a second receiver in the mix with my current Roamio/Mini setup... Are all three able to co-exist with high WAF?

MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 10:06 AM   #934
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
Can one TiVo Mini gracefully coexist with two Roamios on the same MoCA network and get to the content of both receivers intuitively (meaning, does it have high WAF - wife acceptance factor)?

With the great OTA deal, I am considering throwing a second receiver in the mix with my current Roamio/Mini setup... Are all three able to co-exist with high WAF?
It only takes a few seconds to switch hosts for the mini. But there are several button presses/menu changes involved.

I don't think it's a big deal but it might be for someone else.

But the only reason to switch hosts is to watch live tv on the mini. You can see and play the recordings from the host TiVo and other TiVos on the network (with the same Media Access Key) without switching hosts.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #935
MikeekiM
Palindromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It only takes a few seconds to switch hosts for the mini. But there are several button presses/menu changes involved.

I don't think it's a big deal but it might be for someone else.

But the only reason to switch hosts is to watch live tv on the mini. You can see and play the recordings from the host TiVo and other TiVos on the network (with the same Media Access Key) without switching hosts.
So let me get this straight... If I have two Roamios, the mini aggregates the recorded content from both devices and shows them all to me under "My Shows"?

And the only reason I would want to switch hosts is if I care about whether I am grabbing a tuner from one machine or the other (which I am not sure I ever care about)...

Do I have that right?

MikeekiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 02:28 PM   #936
BigJimOutlaw

The "Host" Roamio's programs will be shown in My Shows by default.

The other Roamio will appear at the bottom of My Shows (or under 'Devices', depending on whether or not you're using the Left column view.) Select it, and you'll see what's on that box.

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:52 PM   #937
chiguy50

MoCa Networking via Comcast Gateway

My step-daughter just moved into a new home in Hiram, GA, which she is renting. I got her a TiVo Roamio Basic (TCD846500) as a housewarming gift and set it up for her in tandem with her Comcast X1. (She has the HD Preferred Xf Bundle package with a TEC tc8305c gateway and the Pace PX013ANM (X1) DVR.) We got the CableCARD provisioned and paired successfully and everything seems to be operating correctly. If she (and her family) decide that they like it, they will presumably turn in their Comcast DVR and HD STB.

I connected the Roamio to the tc8305c via ethernet cat5 and noticed that the X1 was only wired via coax. (I don't believe that she has an active MoCA network through the tc8305c so the X1 must be communicating wirelessly.) If she wants to get a TiVo Mini for one of the bedrooms (where there is no ethernet connection available), then I believe we could swap out the X1 for an XB3 (model no. DPS3939, TC8706c, DPC3941t, or TC8717) which I understand has a built-in MoCA bridge. Once the MoCA networking is enabled in the Comcast gateway, and with the Roamio connected to the gateway via ethernet, my understanding is that the TiVo Mini client (which is MoCA-enabled) should be able to communicate with the Roamio (which itself is not MoCA-enabled) over MoCA.

Did I get this right? I have no personal experience with MoCA, but I believe I understand the basics.

How difficult is it to set up the MoCA network on the Comcast XB3 gateway? Should she plan to call in to Comcast technical assistance to accomplish it or is it something she can easily do herself?

Any advice/assistance will be greatly appreciated.

chiguy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #938
krkaufman

Quote:
swap out the (TC8305C) for an XB3 ... which I understand has a built-in MoCA bridge. Once the MoCA networking is enabled in the Comcast gateway, and with the Roamio connected to the gateway via ethernet, my understanding is that the TiVo Mini client (which is MoCA-enabled) should be able to communicate with the Roamio (which itself is not MoCA-enabled) ...

Did I get this right?
Completely, theoretically. And at least this post indicates it should work. (edit: another post indicating success enabling MoCA on XB2/3 gateways)

However, I haven't tested this and can't say whether Comcast allows the customer to enable that XB3 feature, or whether the XB3's MoCA network would cause a problem for the MoCA-enabled X1 DVR on the same coax plant. It *should* work, especially if the X1 DVR is removed from the configuration, since the MoCA 2.0 certification indicates compatibility w/ the Mini.

Quote:
How difficult is it to set up the MoCA network on the Comcast XB3 gateway?
It should be relatively easy, just a tweak of a setting on the gateway -- with improved chances for overall success since her home is already MoCA-ready, given the prior X1 DVR install.

She should be able to do/test it herself, so long as she can replace the gateway and then log in to it to modify the MoCA setting.

Last edited by krkaufman; 08-18-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-26-2015, 10:07 PM   #939
idabe

I'd appreciate any help! Just got a new roamio basic and TiVo mini to replace an older hd box. Really looking forward to multi room capability but can't get it set up.

I have a fios router in upstairs spare room (not close to roamio setup in lr.) Hooked up mini in another upstairs bedroom. Mini located moca network, connected to TiVo service, and updated. I then set up the roamio downstairs with a moca bridge (from TiVo). Set it up per diagram: coax from wall to adapter, coax out from adapter to roamio, and Ethernet connected between adapter and roamio.

After that set up, there is no option on the roamio to connect to a moca network. There is only wireless or Ethernet. If I try to connect via Ethernet it fail. I'm unable to connect to the TiVo service and the mini upstairs cannot connect to the roamio for content.

Any ideas?

idabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #940
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by idabe View Post
After that set up, there is no option on the roamio to connect to a moca network. There is only wireless or Ethernet. If I try to connect via Ethernet it fail. I'm unable to connect to the TiVo service and the mini upstairs cannot connect to the roamio for content.

Any ideas?
Setting it to ethernet is correct. The base Roamio doesn't have any moca options. As far as it knows, it's connected by ethernet (which it technically is).

It sounds like the coax line to the Mini is working fine, so there's something questionable about the line going to the Roamio. The problem is either the moca adapter, a wonky splitter (most likely), or an amp if you have one on the line somewhere.

The first thing I would try is replace the splitter(s) leading to the Roamio's line. Use one rated for at least 1GHz (1000 MHz).

Old 08-26-2015, 10:24 PM   #941
idabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Setting it to ethernet is correct. The base Roamio doesn't have any moca options. As far as it knows, it's connected by ethernet (which it technically is).

It sounds like the coax line to the Mini is working fine, so there's something questionable about the line going to the Roamio. The problem is either the moca adapter, a wonky splitter (most likely), or an amp if you have one on the line somewhere.

The first thing I would try doing is replace the splitter somewhere on the coax lines that links the two boxes. Use a splitter rated for at least 1GHz (1000 MHz).
Thanks for the quick response. I'll try that first thing in the am. All the coax in the house is new though. Just installed less than 2 years ago. I don't think any amps on the line but I'll check that too. Glad to hear about the Ethernet option on the roamio. I wish this process were a bit more seamless. It's not obvious to a casual user.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:45 PM   #942
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by idabe View Post
Thanks for the quick response. I'll try that first thing in the am. All the coax in the house is new though. Just installed less than 2 years ago. I don't think any amps on the line but I'll check that too. Glad to hear about the Ethernet option on the roamio. I wish this process were a bit more seamless. It's not obvious to a casual user.
If you'd like to troubleshoot the moca adapter, you could move it to the Mini's location and connect the Mini to it, and select ethernet on the Mini.

If it still connects, the adapter is working. If not, that could be a sign of a bad adapter.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:45 AM   #943
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
If you'd like to troubleshoot the moca adapter, you could move it to the Mini's location and connect the Mini to it, and select ethernet on the Mini.

If it still connects, the adapter is working. If not, that could be a sign of a bad adapter.
Good suggestion. Likewise, the Mini could be moved to the problem location and see if it can still connect via MoCA as it can in the other upstairs bedroom.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #944
idabe

Good suggestions. I will try. TiVo sent us several adapters which we don't need because the fios already has a moca network. We checked the splitters this morning-- all said "moca" on them.

I'm wondering if there could be an issue with the way the cables are split? The line coming into the house splits into 3 lines. Then one of those splits 2 or 3 times again. Could that make a difference? If it matters we can make a diagram of it.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:35 PM   #945
idabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkaufman View Post
Good suggestion. Likewise, the Mini could be moved to the problem location and see if it can still connect via MoCA as it can in the other upstairs bedroom.
We changed out the adapter on the roamio and got the same error message. We moved the mini downstairs and it connect to the moca network. We moved the roamio upstairs, but it still couldn't connect to the mini. It will connect to the Ethernet network and sometimes seems to be connected to Internet but it won't connect to TiVo service or stream any content.

Does this seem like a problem with the roamio box (it was refurbished but connects to wireless network just fine) or more like a wiring issue?

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #946
idabe

Good news! We don't know how or why but everything started working when we put the mini back upstairs and the roamio back downstairs. They started seeing each other and all appears to be working now. Fingers crossed it stays working. Thanks for your help!

Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #947
HarperVision

Great to hear it's working!

For any future readers, another troubleshooting thing to try for things like this so to try changing the moca frequency/channel that's being transmitted. Each frequency reacts differently down its transmission path, in this case your coax wiring and splitters, etc. One frequency may have an issues traversing it nicely due to things like VSWR, harmonics, noise, EMI, etc., while another one could be more robust in that environment.

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:17 AM   #948
krkaufman

Actiontec MoCA 2.0 Adapters

An FYI... I just came across my first retail MoCA 2.0 adapters on eBay, the Actiontec ECB6000 -- which then clued me in to the ECB6200, as well.

ECB6000:
Product Data Sheet

Commentary

MoCA 2.0 Certification

Actiontec Online Store
ebay
Beach Audio
Amazon (3rd parties)
AntOnline
Provantage
ECB6200:
Product Data Sheet

MoCA 2.0 Certification ??

ebay
Amazon (3rd parties)
Amazon (3rd parties) -- for 2-pack
AntOnline
Provantage
-----
edit: p.s. If anyone is a redditor, feel free to let the OP in the above 'Commentary' know that he was getting the spec'd rates for MoCA 2.0. As often happens, he appears to have been confusing the spec'd "PHY" rates w/ effective/throughput speed.

Last edited by krkaufman; 08-29-2015 at 02:33 AM.
Thanks For This Post:
Old 08-29-2015, 08:56 AM   #949
fcfc2

Quote:
An FYI... I just came across my first retail MoCA 2.0 adapters on eBay, the Actiontec ECB6000 -- which then clued me in to the ECB6200, as well.

ECB6000:
Product Data Sheet

Commentary

MoCA 2.0 Certification

Actiontec Online Store
ebay
Beach Audio
Amazon (3rd parties)
AntOnline
Provantage
ECB6200:
Product Data Sheet

MoCA 2.0 Certification ??

ebay
Amazon (3rd parties)
Amazon (3rd parties) -- for 2-pack
AntOnline
Provantage
-----
edit: p.s. If anyone is a redditor, feel free to let the OP in the above 'Commentary' know that he was getting the spec'd rates for MoCA 2.0. As often happens, he appears to have been confusing the spec'd "PHY" rates w/ effective/throughput speed.
Hi,
Thanks for this post, but I would suggest the news deserves it's own thread as quite a few have been waiting for MoCA 2.0 devices for....years.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:59 PM   #950
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
Thanks for this post, but I would suggest the news deserves it's own thread as quite a few have been waiting for MoCA 2.0 devices for....years.
Any suggestion as to the most appropriate forum for the topic? There doesn't seem to be a forum for "Supporting Technologies."

Old 08-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #951
fcfc2

Quote:
Any suggestion as to the most appropriate forum for the topic? There doesn't seem to be a forum for "Supporting Technologies."
Hi,
I would try it in the most frequented form....the Roamios, I think.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #952
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
Hi, I would try it in the most frequented form....the Roamios, I think.
I'm actually thinking the Coffee House Forum because Minis, Premieres and Roamios can use MoCA.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:36 PM   #953
krkaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I'm actually thinking the Coffee House Forum because Minis, Premieres and Roamios can use MoCA.
Chuckle. Had to read it twice.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:15 AM   #954
HarperVision

Quote:
Chuckle. Had to read it twice.
Haha, I didn't even mean it that way when I wrote it, so I had to read YOUR reply twice to get what YOU were saying!!!

Coffee House.......MoCA.......got it!