TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-22-2012, 04:13 AM   #1
LoveHate9

Cool New XL4 came w/old software ver??

I bought a new Tivo Premiere XL4 from best buy today (June 22, 2012) and had expected the software version to be fairly up to date. I wasn't expecting it to be loaded with a version that's been out in the last day or for the last few months for that matter. BUT, I found my machine had version 14.9.2-01-2-758! I thought I read version 20 has been out since Jan 2012?

Question: Is it normal for newly manufactured Tivo's to be loaded with an old version? Is there a way to confirm when my box was manufactured??

Now I'm wondering if Tivo took a hard drive over 8 months old or took inventory from old Tivo's and slapped the XL4 label in the front. It's a bit disconcerting to me that I may have paid top dollars for old equipment.

UPDATE: found a label on the box saying Made in Mexico with a date 11-Apr-12. I'm assuming that means April 11, 2012. But still makes me wonder why mine had software version 14?? I got the impression reading reviews and such that their boxes came with the latest. . .

any thoughts?
LoveHate9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
caddyroger

Software version 20 did not come out until April. It will down load the new soft the next time it does a connection. Tomorrow if you see a pending restart make sure you do not plan using for the hour.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
mrizzo80

I'm pretty sure what you experienced is completely normal and nothing to worry about. I hooked up my Woot Elite last night and it came with 14.9.

Enjoy your new Tivo!
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You can speed up the update by making 4-6 Tivo connections, until "status: pending restart".
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
LoveHate9

thanks for confirming!
LoveHate9 is offline   Reply With Quote