TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #151
bruinfan

whenever I watch really bad acting, it makes me appreciate those that excel at the craft, and their process.... method acting seems so dooshy (Daniel day lewis, Christian bale, will farell to name a few that use it), but darnit if those guys aren't great. (not to say method actors are dooshes, or only method actors are great)
bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #152
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

In what universe is Will Ferrell a 'method actor'??????????
Old 12-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #153
TiVolunteer
lotta lurk rare post

In what universe is Will Ferrell "great"?
1 Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Mini
2 TiVo HD
TiVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #154
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVolunteer View Post
In what universe is Will Ferrell "great"?
In what universe can Will Ferrell act?
Old 12-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #155
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Not in this one, judging from his performance in "Bewitched." God, that was awful. The concept, the plot, the dialogue, the acting.

I may call HBO (or was it Starz?) and demand my money back.

As for "The Sound of Music," I watched the movie, in Blu ray, yesterday to test the new Sony BD player. Just absolute perfection. I'm still mad at Christopher Plummer (may he rest in peace) for denigrating it as "The Sound of Mucus."
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #156
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Not in this one, judging from his performance in "Bewitched." God, that was awful. The concept, the plot, the dialogue, the acting.

I may call HBO (or was it Starz?) and demand my money back.

As for "The Sound of Music," I watched the movie, in Blu ray, yesterday to test the new Sony BD player. Just absolute perfection. I'm still mad at Christopher Plummer (may he rest in peace) for denigrating it as "The Sound of Mucus."
Christopher Plummer is still with us. He's 84 years old.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #157
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war!
Old 12-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #158
bruinfan

will Ferrell is known to stay in character, which is funny on his level cuz it's a stupid character he is staying in.

hey, I guess I like will Ferrell more than you guys... he's no Oscar nominee, but he's a comedic genius. old school, anchorman, ricky bobby... not to mention SNL, sorry, I like him.
bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #159
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Plummer's still here? I could've sworn I saw his obituary within the past year. Well, glad to know he's still alive -- but I'm still mad at him.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #160
MPSAN

We watched last night and had our bigger speakers on. It sure seemed like there was a lot of background noise. It sounded like fans or something.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #161
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Plummer's still here? I could've sworn I saw his obituary within the past year. Well, glad to know he's still alive -- but I'm still mad at him.
Funny, I thought he had just recently died, but Wikipedia has him among the living.

Reminds me of the old game they used to play for prized on the old WNEW-FM in NYC called dead or alive. They'd throw out a series of names, and the caller would have to say whether the people were dead or alive.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #162
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
You obviously never saw Stranger than Fiction.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #163
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
You obviously never saw Stranger than Fiction.
I put Will Farrell in the same category as Adam Sandler, Robin Williams and Bill Murray. When you put them in a vehicle where they are heavily involved and that's skewed to the things that made them popular, you get what you'd expect, their schtick. But when you put them in something that's not written by them, and is a bit more serious, they are actually pretty darn good. Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society or Good Will Hunting, Adam Sandler in Spanglish or Reign Over Me, Bill Murray in Lost in Translation or Hyde Park on Hudson, and yes, Will Farrell in Stranger than Fiction or Melinda and Melinda.

The problem is, they do SOO many of those types of typecast movies that it's all you remember them as doing. I'm not as much a Will Farrell fan as I am the other three, but I think he's a decent actor in something other than his typecast roles.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #164
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I put Will Farrell in the same category as Adam Sandler, Robin Williams and Bill Murray. When you put them in a vehicle where they are heavily involved and that's skewed to the things that made them popular, you get what you'd expect, their schtick. But when you put them in something that's not written by them, and is a bit more serious, they are actually pretty darn good. Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society or Good Will Hunting, Adam Sandler in Spanglish or Reign Over Me, Bill Murray in Lost in Translation or Hyde Park on Hudson, and yes, Will Farrell in Stranger than Fiction or Melinda and Melinda. The problem is, they do SOO many of those types of typecast movies that it's all you remember them as doing. I'm not as much a Will Farrell fan as I am the other three, but I think he's a decent actor in something other than his typecast roles.
Agree 100%
Old 12-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #165
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Funny how at least one of the movies for each 'star' is an absolute stinker (Spanglish, Hyde Park on Hudson, Melinda and Melinda)!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #166
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Funny how at least one of the movies for each 'star' is an absolute stinker (Spanglish, Hyde Park on Hudson, Melinda and Melinda)!
Stinker as far as what? You didn't like them? Critical failure? Box Office bust?

I liked Spanglish a lot, Melinda and Melinda was decent, Hyde Park is sitting on my DVR, but haven't watch yet.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #167
gweempose

I thought Spanglish was actually one of Sandler's best films.
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #168
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I thought Spanglish was actually one of Sandler's best films.
Me too, and so was Reign Over Me. Which was my point. His best work was stuff he didn't write or was involved in the concept, but just hired as an actor.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #169
mattack

Did she have 'backing vocals' or whatever you want to call it? That is, not actually lip syncing, but not fully "live" singing either?

I've watched around a third of it so far... I don't hate it, and I find it entertaining, but I'm mostly just using it to 'fill in' time when I've finished watching whatever main show I watched while walking on my treadmill. (i.e. to fill up the length of time I usually walk for)

Also, I've wondered how many times they do a FULL run through. I seem to remember seeing some small 'goofs', but nothing huge so far (nobody falling down, etc.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #170
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I put Will Farrell in the same category as Adam Sandler, Robin Williams and Bill Murray. When you put them in a vehicle where they are heavily involved and that's skewed to the things that made them popular, you get what you'd expect, their schtick. But when you put them in something that's not written by them, and is a bit more serious, they are actually pretty darn good. Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society or Good Will Hunting, Adam Sandler in Spanglish or Reign Over Me, Bill Murray in Lost in Translation or Hyde Park on Hudson, and yes, Will Farrell in Stranger than Fiction or Melinda and Melinda.

The problem is, they do SOO many of those types of typecast movies that it's all you remember them as doing. I'm not as much a Will Farrell fan as I am the other three, but I think he's a decent actor in something other than his typecast roles.
Very well said.

I really can't stand Will Farell in much of anything. Interestingly enough, Anchorman is the only role I have seen him in that I COULD stand. I think that is more of a memory because my husband liked it and we saw it together.

Elf? forget it. Maybe I need to take a moment and watch Melinda and Melinda, but I admit, just seeing his name in the line up makes me go 'no'.

And all that said, I will add that there are some of the movies that those actors have been in that were their vehicles and their 'schtick' but that I also enjoyed. Sandler and the one with the little boy, Williams and Peter Pan, Murray in Groundhog day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #171
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Very well said. I really can't stand Will Farell in much of anything. Interestingly enough, Anchorman is the only role I have seen him in that I COULD stand. I think that is more of a memory because my husband liked it and we saw it together. Elf? forget it. Maybe I need to take a moment and watch Melinda and Melinda, but I admit, just seeing his name in the line up makes me go 'no'. And all that said, I will add that there are some of the movies that those actors have been in that were their vehicles and their 'schtick' but that I also enjoyed. Sandler and the one with the little boy, Williams and Peter Pan, Murray in Groundhog day.
Have you seen Stranger than Fiction? I recommend it highly. Very non-Farrell Farrell.