TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #151
bruinfan
Registered User
 
bruinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 3,200
whenever I watch really bad acting, it makes me appreciate those that excel at the craft, and their process.... method acting seems so dooshy (Daniel day lewis, Christian bale, will farell to name a few that use it), but darnit if those guys aren't great. (not to say method actors are dooshes, or only method actors are great)
bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #152
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet
 
TonyTheTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,961
In what universe is Will Ferrell a 'method actor'??????????
__________________
"YOU! YES YOU! STAND STILL, LADDIE"
"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?"
TonyTheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #153
TiVolunteer
lotta lurk rare post
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 270
In what universe is Will Ferrell "great"?
__________________
Out with the old
In with the new
1 Premiere XL4
1 Roamio Pro
1 TiVo Mini
2 TiVo HD
TiVolunteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #154
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 8,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVolunteer View Post
In what universe is Will Ferrell "great"?
In what universe can Will Ferrell act?
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #155
Graymalkin
Style and Panache
 
Graymalkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 47,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
In what universe can Will Ferrell act?
Not in this one, judging from his performance in "Bewitched." God, that was awful. The concept, the plot, the dialogue, the acting.

I may call HBO (or was it Starz?) and demand my money back.

As for "The Sound of Music," I watched the movie, in Blu ray, yesterday to test the new Sony BD player. Just absolute perfection. I'm still mad at Christopher Plummer (may he rest in peace) for denigrating it as "The Sound of Mucus."
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #156
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Not in this one, judging from his performance in "Bewitched." God, that was awful. The concept, the plot, the dialogue, the acting.

I may call HBO (or was it Starz?) and demand my money back.

As for "The Sound of Music," I watched the movie, in Blu ray, yesterday to test the new Sony BD player. Just absolute perfection. I'm still mad at Christopher Plummer (may he rest in peace) for denigrating it as "The Sound of Mucus."
Christopher Plummer is still with us. He's 84 years old.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #157
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet
 
TonyTheTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,961
Cry havoc! And let slip the dogs of war!
__________________
"YOU! YES YOU! STAND STILL, LADDIE"
"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?"
TonyTheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #158
bruinfan
Registered User
 
bruinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 3,200
will Ferrell is known to stay in character, which is funny on his level cuz it's a stupid character he is staying in.

hey, I guess I like will Ferrell more than you guys... he's no Oscar nominee, but he's a comedic genius. old school, anchorman, ricky bobby... not to mention SNL, sorry, I like him.
bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #159
Graymalkin
Style and Panache
 
Graymalkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Northern New Jersey
Posts: 47,956
Plummer's still here? I could've sworn I saw his obituary within the past year. Well, glad to know he's still alive -- but I'm still mad at him.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #160
MPSAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Posts: 935
We watched last night and had our bigger speakers on. It sure seemed like there was a lot of background noise. It sounded like fans or something.
__________________
"If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is"!
MPSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:53 AM   #161
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
Plummer's still here? I could've sworn I saw his obituary within the past year. Well, glad to know he's still alive -- but I'm still mad at him.
Funny, I thought he had just recently died, but Wikipedia has him among the living.

Reminds me of the old game they used to play for prized on the old WNEW-FM in NYC called dead or alive. They'd throw out a series of names, and the caller would have to say whether the people were dead or alive.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:56 AM   #162
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
In what universe can Will Ferrell act?
You obviously never saw Stranger than Fiction.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #163
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
You obviously never saw Stranger than Fiction.
I put Will Farrell in the same category as Adam Sandler, Robin Williams and Bill Murray. When you put them in a vehicle where they are heavily involved and that's skewed to the things that made them popular, you get what you'd expect, their schtick. But when you put them in something that's not written by them, and is a bit more serious, they are actually pretty darn good. Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society or Good Will Hunting, Adam Sandler in Spanglish or Reign Over Me, Bill Murray in Lost in Translation or Hyde Park on Hudson, and yes, Will Farrell in Stranger than Fiction or Melinda and Melinda.

The problem is, they do SOO many of those types of typecast movies that it's all you remember them as doing. I'm not as much a Will Farrell fan as I am the other three, but I think he's a decent actor in something other than his typecast roles.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #164
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I put Will Farrell in the same category as Adam Sandler, Robin Williams and Bill Murray. When you put them in a vehicle where they are heavily involved and that's skewed to the things that made them popular, you get what you'd expect, their schtick. But when you put them in something that's not written by them, and is a bit more serious, they are actually pretty darn good. Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society or Good Will Hunting, Adam Sandler in Spanglish or Reign Over Me, Bill Murray in Lost in Translation or Hyde Park on Hudson, and yes, Will Farrell in Stranger than Fiction or Melinda and Melinda. The problem is, they do SOO many of those types of typecast movies that it's all you remember them as doing. I'm not as much a Will Farrell fan as I am the other three, but I think he's a decent actor in something other than his typecast roles.
Agree 100%
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #165
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet
 
TonyTheTiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 11,961
Funny how at least one of the movies for each 'star' is an absolute stinker (Spanglish, Hyde Park on Hudson, Melinda and Melinda)!
__________________
"YOU! YES YOU! STAND STILL, LADDIE"
"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?"
TonyTheTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:16 AM   #166
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Funny how at least one of the movies for each 'star' is an absolute stinker (Spanglish, Hyde Park on Hudson, Melinda and Melinda)!
Stinker as far as what? You didn't like them? Critical failure? Box Office bust?

I liked Spanglish a lot, Melinda and Melinda was decent, Hyde Park is sitting on my DVR, but haven't watch yet.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #167
gweempose
Registered User
 
gweempose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northbrook, IL
Posts: 1,699
I thought Spanglish was actually one of Sandler's best films.
__________________
(1) Roamio Pro
(1) Premiere XL4
(1) Premiere XL
(3) Minis

gweempose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #168
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey
 
Steveknj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 33,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose View Post
I thought Spanglish was actually one of Sandler's best films.
Me too, and so was Reign Over Me. Which was my point. His best work was stuff he didn't write or was involved in the concept, but just hired as an actor.
__________________
Annoying Blurb
Steveknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #169
mattack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: sunnyvale
Posts: 16,510
Did she have 'backing vocals' or whatever you want to call it? That is, not actually lip syncing, but not fully "live" singing either?

I've watched around a third of it so far... I don't hate it, and I find it entertaining, but I'm mostly just using it to 'fill in' time when I've finished watching whatever main show I watched while walking on my treadmill. (i.e. to fill up the length of time I usually walk for)

Also, I've wondered how many times they do a FULL run through. I seem to remember seeing some small 'goofs', but nothing huge so far (nobody falling down, etc.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #170
betts4
I am Spartacus!
 
betts4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: A Galaxy far, far away....
Posts: 26,326
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I put Will Farrell in the same category as Adam Sandler, Robin Williams and Bill Murray. When you put them in a vehicle where they are heavily involved and that's skewed to the things that made them popular, you get what you'd expect, their schtick. But when you put them in something that's not written by them, and is a bit more serious, they are actually pretty darn good. Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society or Good Will Hunting, Adam Sandler in Spanglish or Reign Over Me, Bill Murray in Lost in Translation or Hyde Park on Hudson, and yes, Will Farrell in Stranger than Fiction or Melinda and Melinda.

The problem is, they do SOO many of those types of typecast movies that it's all you remember them as doing. I'm not as much a Will Farrell fan as I am the other three, but I think he's a decent actor in something other than his typecast roles.
Very well said.

I really can't stand Will Farell in much of anything. Interestingly enough, Anchorman is the only role I have seen him in that I COULD stand. I think that is more of a memory because my husband liked it and we saw it together.

Elf? forget it. Maybe I need to take a moment and watch Melinda and Melinda, but I admit, just seeing his name in the line up makes me go 'no'.

And all that said, I will add that there are some of the movies that those actors have been in that were their vehicles and their 'schtick' but that I also enjoyed. Sandler and the one with the little boy, Williams and Peter Pan, Murray in Groundhog day.
__________________
I agree with Betts. angbear1985
"You bettsed your claim" Bryhamm



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #171
TonyD79
Registered User
 
TonyD79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 3,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Very well said. I really can't stand Will Farell in much of anything. Interestingly enough, Anchorman is the only role I have seen him in that I COULD stand. I think that is more of a memory because my husband liked it and we saw it together. Elf? forget it. Maybe I need to take a moment and watch Melinda and Melinda, but I admit, just seeing his name in the line up makes me go 'no'. And all that said, I will add that there are some of the movies that those actors have been in that were their vehicles and their 'schtick' but that I also enjoyed. Sandler and the one with the little boy, Williams and Peter Pan, Murray in Groundhog day.
Have you seen Stranger than Fiction? I recommend it highly. Very non-Farrell Farrell.
__________________
Tony D
TonyD79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |