TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-16-2012, 03:02 AM   #1
Wil
Senile Member

mfs_ftp.tcl -A Successor to this Venerable Program

One of the seminal programs in Tivo and DVR history, mfs_ftp.tcl, has gotten a little long in the tooth. Complexities in updating/patching because much of its power comes from previous work and there are some sensitivities from both the pioneers and the author.

90%+ of Tivo and DTivo users have probably moved on and don't care

But for those who might care, a recent attempt to take a new look at the functionality is a program called tyftpd.tcl, a very nice piece of work that is worth a look if you'd like to have that functionality.

Attempts are being made to smooth its interface with another program called MovieLoader. A successful result here would be a huge step forward for those of us who are using older Tivos, for examples the HR10-250 or older DTivos or SA Tivos.

I can't point you specifically to where this is being discussed, but a search on tyftpd.tcl might be productive
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #2
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

"Sensitivities", what a nice way to put it.

Still not a free software license, I see.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
bob343

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "there are some sensitivities from both the pioneers and the author". Also, what are the problems with mfs_ftp.tcl and MovieLoader? I've used mfs_ftp.tcl on a series 1, DTivo, and TivoHD (all with hundreds of recorded programs) and MovieLoader and never had a problem.

But I agree that mfs_ftp.tcl is a support nightmare, mainly because "updates" can only be distributed as patches, and there is no central control.
bob343 is offline   Reply With Quote