TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 85 votes, 4.78 average.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:47 PM   #1501
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRiT wtfdotcom View Post
No, that is from the very outside input, the moca signal is kept inside by the low pass filters. It does not allow moca signal from the main outside port to enter and doesnt allow moca signals from the inside ports to leave.

This is the exact port amplifier splitter that I am using on a Roamio and 4 Minis on Cox cable card with terminal adapter setup. The roamio is connected via ethernet with moca enabled to my router and all the minis are connected via moca.

Some specs from my mini on network status:
Peer node 1:
Tx PHY Rate: 276.759
Rx PHY Rate: 279.523
Tx Power Estimate: -21
Rx Power Estimate: 0.479

Node 2: 284.886, 283.911, -21, 0.464
Node 3 (Roamio): 283.423, 287.811, -21, 0.464
Node 4: 259.81, 279.050, -21, 0.482
Hi,
I am glad that your Electroline amp is working fine for your MoCA setup, but I could find no definitive statement or specification which indicates it also includes a MoCA filter as say the PCT brand of MoCA rated amps clearly do. You might want to test by temporarily placing a MoCA adapter before the input and seeing if it lights up and receives any MoCA signals.
The only other thing is that the pricing is high relative to the blue label PPC EVO1-9-U/U or EVO1-5 U/U units readily available on Ebay for a third of the price. These do require a filter to be installed though.

fcfc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #1502
BRiT wtfdotcom

The funny thing is, those blue label PPC units do not list or show anything over 1002MHz in their specsheets or on the unit themselves at all, nor do they mention Moca. Its good to know they work though.

When I picked up the moca friendly amplifier it was close to 18 months ago and the other PCT unit i was looking to get was always out of stock. It has increased in price since I got it, so I'm surprised its as pricey as it is.

BRiT wtfdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #1503
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRiT wtfdotcom View Post
The funny thing is, those blue label PPC units do not list or show anything over 1002MHz in their specsheets or on the unit themselves at all, nor do they mention Moca. Its good to know they work though.

When I picked up the moca friendly amplifier it was close to 18 months ago and the other PCT unit i was looking to get was always out of stock. It has increased in price since I got it, so I'm surprised its as pricey as it is.
Hi,
Actually the boxed units have a printed insert with instructions on connections and use that has a fairly sizable "MoCA Alliance" label and wording indicating it is MoCA compatible.
If you fast forward to about 50 seconds on this youtube video you can easily see the label and wording.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTyQZoSE-_Y

Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #1504
RadViper

I just posted a couple weeks back questioning the cable company and what they were telling my parents. The cable company is requiring the use of their moca capable modem. They also charge $10 a month to rent a Tivo Mini. So I bought a Tivo Mini for them on Amazon instead.
I'm having trouble getting the mini to connect to the moca network. Moca appears to be setup on the T6 downstairs, but when I go to set up the mini, I get a moca network error. I'm not using an encryption key, and can't figure out why it's not connecting.
The cable comes into the house and goes into a splitter, then to the modem and the T6. The Mini is connected right to the cable coming out of the wall upstairs.
Please help!
Thanks

RadViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #1505
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadViper View Post
I just posted a couple weeks back questioning the cable company and what they were telling my parents. The cable company is requiring the use of their moca capable modem. They also charge $10 a month to rent a Tivo Mini. So I bought a Tivo Mini for them on Amazon instead.
I'm having trouble getting the mini to connect to the moca network. Moca appears to be setup on the T6 downstairs, but when I go to set up the mini, I get a moca network error. I'm not using an encryption key, and can't figure out why it's not connecting.
The cable comes into the house and goes into a splitter, then to the modem and the T6. The Mini is connected right to the cable coming out of the wall upstairs.
Please help!
Thanks
If the cable co modem does use MoCA encryption to keep people from using their own Mini, your screwed, I know only one person on RCN that uses TiVo supplied by RCN and the Mini is also supplied by RCN, never tried to see if you could use your own as the Mini must be in the same account as the TiVo and I don't know how one could do that with an cable co.s TiVo.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:29 PM   #1506
RadViper

Moca encryption appears to be turned off on the settings of the T6. Unless they do something in the background to prevent it. Is there something else I can check?

RadViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:36 AM   #1507
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadViper View Post
Moca encryption appears to be turned off on the settings of the T6. Unless they do something in the background to prevent it. Is there something else I can check?
Hi,
I have seen several posts in the past, all with folks trying to use their retail Tivo minis trying to get them to work with the ISP rented Tivos....they are not compatible, probably an account issue. They want you to "rent" one of theirs, not allow you to buy your own and use with their DVR's. It would be similar to trying to use your retail mini on a neighbors Tivo system without transferring it to the neighbors account.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #1508
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfc2 View Post
Hi,
I have seen several posts in the past, all with folks trying to use their retail Tivo minis trying to get them to work with the ISP rented Tivos....they are not compatible, probably an account issue. They want you to "rent" one of theirs, not allow you to buy your own and use with their DVR's. It would be similar to trying to use your retail mini on a neighbors Tivo system without transferring it to the neighbors account.
Your correct on the account part, but RadViper can't even connect to the cable co.s MoCA with his retail mini, why ? I though it could be built in encryption in the cable co.s modem that puts out the MoCA signal, don't know how one could tell that as I have never used MoCA with encryption.

Old 02-14-2016, 06:56 AM   #1509
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Your correct on the account part, but RadViper can't even connect to the cable co.s MoCA with his retail mini, why ? I though it could be built in encryption in the cable co.s modem that puts out the MoCA signal, don't know how one could tell that as I have never used MoCA with encryption.
Hi less,
I have no idea exactly what RNC does with their version of the Tivos, but one other reason that a new mini might not connect to the network/internet via MoCA is that the mini might not be set to "auto" for the MoCA channel, in addition to all of the other splitter, coax, amplifier, issues which would block the connection.
A check of the channel setting on the mini to insure it is set to "auto" might be a test, but it is entirely possible that RNC might use encryption or some other account related mechanism, which would block the retail mini from the network, but it is a fruitless task, as it will still never be usable on the RNC Tivo DVR. If one has a MoCA adapter which uses "auto" as a default, simply connecting that to a known good coax location would be a good test to determine if encryption is used for certain.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #1510
rapper58

Connect Wireless Extender to MoCA Network

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I have a MoCA network created by my Tivo Roamio Plus connected via ethernet to my primary router. I also have 4 Tivo Minis connected to the MoCA network via coax. Everything works great.

I am trying to connect an Actiontec WCB3000N wireless range extender to this network by connecting it to a coax jack. When this new device powers up, the "Coax" light comes on and I can tell the primary router has leased it an ip address.

However, the Actiontec will not make a connection to the Internet. Also, it seems to actually force the other 4 Minis off the MoCA network. To get the Minis back online, I need to power off the Actiontec and then reboot the Roamio.

Maybe what I'm trying to do just won't work, but before I return the Actiontec to the retailer, I thought I would check to see if anyone has any ideas. I noted that the configuration page of the Actiontec has a default MoCA encryption key that it doesn't seem to want to relinquish, and the Tivo MoCA network has no encryption key by default. Could that be the problem, or at least one of the problems?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

rapper58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #1511
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapper58 View Post
Wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I have a MoCA network created by my Tivo Roamio Plus connected via ethernet to my primary router. I also have 4 Tivo Minis connected to the MoCA network via coax. Everything works great.

I am trying to connect an Actiontec WCB3000N wireless range extender to this network by connecting it to a coax jack. When this new device powers up, the "Coax" light comes on and I can tell the primary router has leased it an ip address.

However, the Actiontec will not make a connection to the Internet. Also, it seems to actually force the other 4 Minis off the MoCA network. To get the Minis back online, I need to power off the Actiontec and then reboot the Roamio.

Maybe what I'm trying to do just won't work, but before I return the Actiontec to the retailer, I thought I would check to see if anyone has any ideas. I noted that the configuration page of the Actiontec has a default MoCA encryption key that it doesn't seem to want to relinquish, and the Tivo MoCA network has no encryption key by default. Could that be the problem, or at least one of the problems?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Hi,
You don't mention if you have the Actiontec or Verizon branded version, but I believe on both, you can login to the device and see if you can find the settings. I believe you may be able to modify the settings to either change to or from "auto" or possibly something to do with the MoCA settings separately to work around your problem.
I will try to dig mine out if you can't find anything on yours. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:20 AM   #1512
rapper58

Quote:
Hi,
You don't mention if you have the Actiontec or Verizon branded version, but I believe on both, you can login to the device and see if you can find the settings. I believe you may be able to modify the settings to either change to or from "auto" or possibly something to do with the MoCA settings separately to work around your problem.
I will try to dig mine out if you can't find anything on yours. Good luck.
Thanks. My equipment is Actiontec, not Verizon. I can login and change the settings on the device, but frankly I haven't figured out what settings to change. All I know is that the new Actiontect wireless extender isn't playing nice with my Tivo-created MoCA.

I wonder if I need to purchase the Actiontec ECB2500C coax adapter. I wouldn't think I would need this device if I already have a MoCA network created by the Tivo Roamio.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:55 AM   #1513
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapper58 View Post
Thanks. My equipment is Actiontec, not Verizon. I can login and change the settings on the device, but frankly I haven't figured out what settings to change. All I know is that the new Actiontect wireless extender isn't playing nice with my Tivo-created MoCA.

I wonder if I need to purchase the Actiontec ECB2500C coax adapter. I wouldn't think I would need this device if I already have a MoCA network created by the Tivo Roamio.
Hi again,
The device you have is usually referred to as a wireless network extender and is designed to pickup the wireless settings from the primary router and act as a wireless AP, with 2 Ethernet ports. There are some wanky aspects to the device when connected to a MoCA 2.0 network, in that, it forces all MoCA traffic down to the MoCA 1.1 speeds, where as the Actiontec ECB2500C and other stand alone devices do not do this.
If left in it's default setting, it would try to detect the wireless settings on your primary router and use whatever MoCA channel was in use. However, Tivo does some non-standard things with their MoCA implementation including using unique MoCA channel designations, there may be other things that make it incompatible with that device also.
The combo network extender comes with the ECB2500C which in the "usual" setup would be connected at the cable modem/ router location.
Before you give up, I would try using manual settings for the extender, not automatic, and look into the Tivo settings for the MoCA channel. If the Tivo is set to it's channel 15, that translates to D-1 on most standard MoCA adapters. If no joy after playing with the settings, you could try Actiontec support, or just go with the regular ECB2500C but then change the Tivo DVR to just "connect to" the MoCA network.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:22 PM   #1514
rapper58

Quote:
Hi again,
The device you have is usually referred to as a wireless network extender and is designed to pickup the wireless settings from the primary router and act as a wireless AP, with 2 Ethernet ports. There are some wanky aspects to the device when connected to a MoCA 2.0 network, in that, it forces all MoCA traffic down to the MoCA 1.1 speeds, where as the Actiontec ECB2500C and other stand alone devices do not do this.
If left in it's default setting, it would try to detect the wireless settings on your primary router and use whatever MoCA channel was in use. However, Tivo does some non-standard things with their MoCA implementation including using unique MoCA channel designations, there may be other things that make it incompatible with that device also.
The combo network extender comes with the ECB2500C which in the "usual" setup would be connected at the cable modem/ router location.
Before you give up, I would try using manual settings for the extender, not automatic, and look into the Tivo settings for the MoCA channel. If the Tivo is set to it's channel 15, that translates to D-1 on most standard MoCA adapters. If no joy after playing with the settings, you could try Actiontec support, or just go with the regular ECB2500C but then change the Tivo DVR to just "connect to" the MoCA network.
OK, I will change the channel on the wireless network extender to match the channel designated by the Tivo DVR. I will also try to remove the encryption key on the extender's setting page, although when I first tried this, the extender did not seem to want to allow it. If these changes don't fix the problem, I plan to call Actiontec support.

Thanks.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #1515
mjh
Re: Member

So are there other moca adapters that will work with tivo other than the actiontec?

04/03-07/10:HDVR2/R10,146h
12/02-04/03:S2SA,40h,life
mjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #1516
mdavej

Many. I use Channel Master.

mdavej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:50 PM   #1517
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Many. I use Channel Master.
Motorola, MyGica(Meritline), & Legrand are a few more. If you check Amazon for "MoCA" adapters you may also see some new asian companies now selling MoCA 2.0 adapters, but be careful as most of them only have "fast Ethernet" ports, which kind of defeats having MoCA 2.0.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #1518
lessd

Quote:
Motorola, MyGica(Meritline), & Legrand are a few more. If you check Amazon for "MoCA" adapters you may also see some new asian companies now selling MoCA 2.0 adapters, but be careful as most of them only have "fast Ethernet" ports, which kind of defeats having MoCA 2.0.
Until TiVo has MoCA 2 on their units and Mini what advantage is MoCA 2 for TiVo use, and even then the use would only be useful for xfering stuff to another PC, or if needed to another TiVo, MoCA 2 will not help streaming from one TiVo to another.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:25 AM   #1519
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Until TiVo has MoCA 2 on their units and Mini what advantage is MoCA 2 for TiVo use, and even then the use would only be useful for xfering stuff to another PC, or if needed to another TiVo, MoCA 2 will not help streaming from one TiVo to another.
Hi less,
I am not advocating MoCA 2.0 for current Tivos, I only mentioned it in passing, although I am pretty sure Tivo didn't put MoCA 2.0 on the new Bolt just to waste money.
It is also clear that MoCA 2.0 is going to be the eventual standard not just for Tivo but any number of other device manufacturers. Many folks who use their MoCA network not just for Tivo but for adding switches, AP's, general home networking, etc., precisely because many homes have coax already installed, while the number of homes that have both Ethernet and coax are only a tiny fraction. If you don't have Ethernet, then MoCA is generally considered the next best networking option and anyone who does or might use MoCA for other networking functions would be amiss if they didn't consider going with MoCA 2.0 devices from this point forward.
In my mind, it is similar to using cat 6 vs cat 5e or cat 5, or investing in gigabit switches vs fast Ethernet.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #1520
aaronwt
HD Addict

Only Cat6 and cat5e will give you identical gigabit speeds.

While going from MoCA 1.1 to MoCA 2.0 gives you a big speed boost.

53TB unRAID2--41TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:53 AM   #1521
fcfc2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Only Cat6 and cat5e will give you identical gigabit speeds.

While going from MoCA 1.1 to MoCA 2.0 gives you a big speed boost.
In general I agree for the average user, but given the relatively small price differential (10%), I went with cat 6 when I cabled up my home and there are some small benefits to going with cat 6.
http://www.broadbandutopia.com/caandcaco.html

Old 02-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #1522
jrlbc06

Ever since I enabled MOCA with my Roamio, my Comcast DVRs (not Tivos, the set top boxes) are not able to play recordings that were recorded on the other one.

Yes I have both TiVos and Comcast DVRs...a few family members like the Comcast setup and usually record on one DVR and watch on the other set top box, but ever since I enabled MOCA this hasn't been working.

Coincidence? Or could there be a reason for this connected to me enabling MOCA?

jrlbc06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #1523
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlbc06 View Post
Ever since I enabled MOCA with my Roamio, my Comcast DVRs (not Tivos, the set top boxes) are not able to play recordings that were recorded on the other one.

Yes I have both TiVos and Comcast DVRs...a few family members like the Comcast setup and usually record on one DVR and watch on the other set top box, but ever since I enabled MOCA this hasn't been working.

Coincidence? Or could there be a reason for this connected to me enabling MOCA?
Probably not coincidence. Their moca networks could be interfering or whatever.

The first/easiest thing to try is move the moca channel on all the Tivos to a different channel. Deep in the moca network settings, the default is either set to Auto or 15. If it's Auto, move them to 15. If they're set to 15, move them to Auto. If the comcast boxes still don't work, try 16.

A more complicated option would be to isolate the Comcast boxes so that the Tivo moca signal doesn't penetrate their feeds. This would mean moving those boxes to their own splitter and adding a POE filter onto the input of that splitter to keep the Tivo moca out.

Last edited by BigJimOutlaw; 02-26-2016 at 02:35 AM.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 02-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #1524
jrlbc06

Great I'll play around with that this weekend. Thanks for the advice!

jrlbc06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #1525
RMSko

If I have multiple Minis and they are all to be connected to the same Roamio Pro, can I connect some of the Minis via MoCA and others via Ethernet?

RIP
Original Philips Standalone 1999 model
HR10-250
Philips DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTivo Series 2
RMSko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #1526
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSko View Post
If I have multiple Minis and they are all to be connected to the same Roamio Pro, can I connect some of the Minis via MoCA and others via Ethernet?
Yep

BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:21 PM   #1527
Fibber2

New here, and a search isn't helping. So here goes...

In the 2009 timeframe we finally got cable out here in the woods. I upgraded our TV system with an Electroline EDA-FT08300 8 port Drop Amp (a bidirectional amplified coax splitter), and a Tivo Series 3. This past fall we replaced the Series 3 with a Romeo Plus (6 tuner), and now want to replace some of our rented Comcast low def tuners with Tivo Mini units.

I have Ethernet to the main TV & Romeo, but not to the bedrooms. It could be done but it won't be easy, so I figured we'd just go MoCA. So far, so good.... Until I got on the phone with the TiVo tech line today to ask a few questions and he mentioned that they require 1.4 ghz bandwidth or it's 'crash & burn'. I went downstairs and sure enough the amp is only rated at 1005 mhz (1.005 ghz). That's a step up from the old 900 mhz splitter that was originally in the house, but unless the Electroline was very conservatively rated, probably not adequate for MoCA service?

Anyone have experience with using MoCA with these last generation amplified coax splitters? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Fibber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:00 AM   #1528
BRiT wtfdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber2 View Post

In the 2009 timeframe we finally got cable out here in the woods. I upgraded our TV system with an Electroline EDA-FT08300 8 port Drop Amp (a bidirectional amplified coax splitter), and a Tivo Series 3. This past fall we replaced the Series 3 with a Romeo Plus (6 tuner), and now want to replace some of our rented Comcast low def tuners with Tivo Mini units.

I have Ethernet to the main TV & Romeo, but not to the bedrooms. It could be done but it won't be easy, so I figured we'd just go MoCA. So far, so good.... Until I got on the phone with the TiVo tech line today to ask a few questions and he mentioned that they require 1.4 ghz bandwidth or it's 'crash & burn'. I went downstairs and sure enough the amp is only rated at 1005 mhz (1.005 ghz). That's a step up from the old 900 mhz splitter that was originally in the house, but unless the Electroline was very conservatively rated, probably not adequate for MoCA service?

Anyone have experience with using MoCA with these last generation amplified coax splitters? Any recommendations? Thanks!

Read the last 4 pages or so as there is plenty of talk of various moca friendly amplifiers.

BRiT wtfdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:00 AM   #1529
fcfc2

Quote:

Hi,
I searched for specifications on that electroline amp you are using and found this http://www.electroline.com/fact_shee...fact_sheet.pdf , which does not mention MoCA specs, but does have a MoCA Alliance logo on the document. It says nothing about having a builtin MoCA filter though so if you want to try setting up a MoCA network get one or more from Amazon or Ebay and install it on the input to the amp.
I would just try enabling the MoCA on the Roamio, assuming it's a Plus or Pro, but use the "create a MoCA network" setting and then connect a mini where ever and use the "connect to a MoCA network" and see if you get it to work.
I would order just one mini if you are concerned, but get it from a non-Tivo source as they are substantially cheaper online. Then give it a go. The filter will help give you a slightly stronger MoCA signal and is important for security. You may also need one if you use a TA and possibly one for your cable modem if it is not MoCA friendly.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 03-06-2016, 11:02 AM   #1530
epstewart

Quote:

No personal experience, but here's a pair of possible replacement amplifiers for you:

http://www.electroline.com/fact_shee...FACT_SHEET.pdf

You may or may not need to use a separate POE filter with those models, but those filters are very inexpensive.

You are aware, I hope, that you would need to run Ethernet from your Roamio Plus to your router in order to use the former to "create a MoCA network." Alternatively, you could buy a MoCA network adapter and hook it to your router and cable modem as (also) shown in the first post in this thread.

Though the amplifier you now have is not rated at a sufficiently high bandwidth to nominally be able to pass the MoCA signals, some of the posts in this thread have suggested that you can simply buy the Minis and then try and see. It may work! If it doesn't work, then you can replace the amp. One way or the other, you can definitely expect Minis-with-MoCA to work for you and save you the cost of those rented Comcast boxes. Good luck!

Bolt 1TB
Roamio Plus 1TB
TiVo Mini
R.I.P.:
TiVo Series3
TiVo HD (x2)
TiVo Premiere III (x2)
epstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post: