TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Revdavez

MoCA - Where to put the adapter?

Hello! I'm upgrading my standard Premiere unit to an XL4 (arrives tomorrow!) and i've also included one MoCA adapter to my order. I'm hoping to use my current premiere unit as the second room... but i'm not sure where I should place the adapter to get the best use out of it. \

If the XL4 has MoCA built in, where does the adapter go in this setup? Do I need to buy a second MoCA box? for the original premiere?
Revdavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Bigg

If the other Premiere doesn't have MoCA, then you need a MoCA adapter for it. Then you either need to plug the XL4 into the router with Ethernet, or put a switch at the second location, and plug the router into that with Ethernet. Or if the router isn't near either, get another MoCA adapter for it.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
Revdavez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
If the other Premiere doesn't have MoCA, then you need a MoCA adapter for it. Then you either need to plug the XL4 into the router with Ethernet, or put a switch at the second location, and plug the router into that with Ethernet. Or if the router isn't near either, get another MoCA adapter for it.
Ok, great. The XL4 is right next to the router, and can easily get an ethernet cable. Sounds like I can just put the MoCA adapter on the second non-MoCA installed premiere and that should work. Thanks!
Revdavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdavez View Post
Ok, great. The XL4 is right next to the router, and can easily get an ethernet cable. Sounds like I can just put the MoCA adapter on the second non-MoCA installed premiere and that should work. Thanks!
Yup. That should work.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:51 AM   #5
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
Keep in mind that the XL4 has MoCA built in so regardless if it's near the router or not so it wouldn't need an adapter itself, if an adapter is connected to the router (or if using Verizon FiOS and using their MoCA router) the XL4 can connect to the MoCA network natively. But since the XL4 is near the router, he can use the XL4 as a MoCA bridge and create the MoCA network, and just connect the MoCA adapter to the Premiere in the other room.
JWhites is online now   Reply With Quote