Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #31
buscuitboy

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I would pay EXACTLY what I'm paying now for the ability to TURN OFF the channels I don't actually watch. Yes, this theoretically makes me pay more per channel that I do care about, but it also lets me give DIRECT feedback about what I care about. Also, after doing the cost comparison, I would likely still turn off the ones that MAKE the cable company money, e.g. religious and shopping channels.

Unfortunately, true cable a-la-cart is not gonna see the light of day anytime soon. Steve Jobs was unable to crack that nut for years (for Apple) and the cable industry is desperately trying to hold on to their current cash cow business model. Networks sell their channels to cable companies in "packages". i.e if you want CNN, you have to also buy TNT, TBS, Cartoon and TCM. Why break up that huge revenue stream and only get a fraction of it with piddly a-la-cart options. A-la-cart is a no-win for both the networks and the cable companies.

Cable industry also doesn't want to wind up being like the music industry either (where the internet KILLED them) so while it may be out of date on some level, they are gripping to it this way for as long as they can.

I personally have a basic digital cable package with high speed internet for about $90/month. I can stomach this for now, but am considering dropping cable and going OTA. I also subscribe to Netflix, but then share it with family members in return for access to their Hulu Plus and HBO GO accounts in my home. SHARE the wealth. Combine this with "other" methods (including any live sports) & it works rather well. I theoretically could get my cable bill down to about $70/month and be able to get ANY show (basic and premium) I want. Works for me

In the end, I probably don't even really need a TiVo to be honest and everything is either streamable or downloadable & played via a media streamer of some kind (xbox, WDTV, PS3, etc.)

Last edited by buscuitboy : 10-30-2012 at 11:40 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote