TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
tvn

Moca With Comcast

I have been with Tivo since the first box and finally in 2013 I have stepped up to streaming between boxes with MOCA. My house is newer and wired with coax properly. There is a splitter outside, one for cable modem in my office and the other for my cable entry point in my basement. I am using one splitter in the basement to feed both of my Premieres. My MOCA is working perfectly now. Signal strength on first premeiere in the 90's, the second, low 80's to upper 70's. I want to add another splitter to send the signal up to the attic where the coax is for the rest of the house. I have a TivoHD upstairs and would like to expand once the Tivo Mini is released. I am hesitant to call Comcast to ask them for amplifiers or MOCA questions about speed and bandwidth. Right now I am not paying additional outlet charges or renting any of their equipment, save for the two cable cards. I am about to split the signal with a 2mhz splitter to send the feed up to the attic. Based on nothing, I assume the signal strength will be compromised. What is the best thing I can add (or do) that will allow me to truly have whole house MOCA, with acceptable signal strength, and not pay Comcast for additional outlets. I am already paying for their highest tier of programming and internet.
tvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
poppagene
User

The tivo upstairs is likely already on the same coax circuit as the rest of the house so no new splitter needed to send the signal up to the attic where the tivo hd is located. However, you will likely need to introduce a splitter at the tivo hd to enable a moca adpater or moca bridge at that point. One way to check it out in advance is to add a splitter in front of the tivo hd. Then connect one end of the splitter to one of your moca capable premieres. (bring one of them upstairs and plug it in in place of the tivo hd) Check it to see if the connection is working well. If it is acceptable to stream between the 4 tuner premieres, you can get a moca apadter for the tivo hd.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
tvn

Thanks for your response. Actually, I have opened the loop by adding the second Tivo in the basement. In order to close the loop, I need to add a splitter to serve the second Tivo on one side and send the signal up to the attic on the other. After that, I will need another splitter to feed bedrooms and living room and kitchen. To reiterate, the line comes into the basement and my office. The office line doesn't run anywhere else. The line into the basement is supposed to run up to the attic. However, I have two Tivos down there. I'm worried that the signal will lessen to below 50 once it comes bck down from the attic. Thanks for your insight.
tvn is offline   Reply With Quote