TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #1
mrbill1957
Packer Fan in MN

Remote Weirdness

I recently added a Roamio to replace the crappy Charter DVR we had. Now we have a Premiere and a Roamio.

The Roamio is our primary DVR. My wife prefers the remote that we had with the Premiere. So I programmed the remotes so she could use the old remote with the Roamio and I use the new remote with the Premiere.

We sit about 18 feet from the TIVO's and the TV. There is about 8 feet between my right side and her left side. The TIVO's and TV are centered on that 8 feet.

My wife is having a problem with the remote. Basically, anywhere on the left half the remote has to pointed directly at the Roamio for it to work. On the right half the remote just needs to be pointed in the general direction to work.

Any suggestions what may be causing this?

Using:
Sony Tivo
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Roamio
mrbill1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #2
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

One possibility that comes to mind is the IR receiver on the Roamio may not quite be perpendicular or centered to the opening in the case for it (slanted to point to the right side most probably). Fixable, if that is the problem, by opening the case (officially voiding your warranty) and straightening the IR receiver.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
FitzAusTex

The Roamio is my first tivo, so no idea how previous versions received IR, but I've been seriously disappointed with how directly I must point the Roamio remote at my TV, and also the Roamio (when I put the Roamio remote in IR-only mode). All other TV devices I own from the past 5 years have incredible reception and or remotes.
FitzAusTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #4
mrbill1957
Packer Fan in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
One possibility that comes to mind is the IR receiver on the Roamio may not quite be perpendicular or centered to the opening in the case for it (slanted to point to the right side most probably). Fixable, if that is the problem, by opening the case (officially voiding your warranty) and straightening the IR receiver.
This seems to be the case. I angled the Roamio by pushing the left side back about an inch and now my wife can use the remote just fine. I'll live with it at an angle since I don't want to open the case and risk further damage.

Using:
Sony Tivo
Tivo Premiere
Tivo Roamio
mrbill1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
kbmb

Tivo does sell an IR extender:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/ir-adapter

We picked up one because our Harmony remote needed to be pointed directly at the Roamio. It's worked pretty well to allow a lot more flexibility in where you have to point the remote.

-Kevin
kbmb is offline   Reply With Quote