telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:21 PM   #62
Teeps

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
You might try a KickStart 54.
I'll give that a go.

At around 0800 hrs, I heard the tivo fan running when I checked it, the original GSOD was not displayed, but was on the startup screen. A couple minutes later GSOD was back.

1010 hrs:
Just checked tivo progress and it was on "just a few minutes more" when is went back to GSOD.
I pulled the power cord, removed the cable card and t/a, reconnected power and soon as tivo got to "just a few minutes more", the GSOD screen appeared.

I think it's dead
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #63
HerronScott

It doesn't sound good. Is this the original drive?

Scott
  4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #64
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
It doesn't sound good. Is this the original drive?

Scott
Yes.
Just got off the phone with tivo.
They said stick a fork in it, it's done.
Tivo offered a reman box for $50
or
Roamio (6 tuner) for $325 + tax/shipping(?)
They said the base 6 tuner roamio had 150 hrs recording time (HD) which the agent said is the same as my EL4. I think he was wrong...

Probably been asked & answered before; would a byte copy of this failing drive revive tivo?
Or would I have to use a known good image on the new drive?
I'm pulling the drive to run WD diagnostics right now.
According to WD info, the diag does not "fix" the bad sectors.

Last edited by Teeps : 10-12-2014 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #65
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post

Probably been asked & answered before; would a byte copy of this failing drive revive tivo?
It might but It depends where the bad sectors are..
In general start from a good image unless trying to save recordings/settings.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #66
Teeps

Quote:
It might but It depends where the bad sectors are..
In general start from a good image unless trying to save recordings/settings.
Copy that.
I'd like to preserve recordings, but not the end of the world, if it's not possible.
WD diagnostic is running now...
Deciding whether to replace the drive or get the 6 tuner roamio.
Either way, I'm really disappointed that tivo would not do more for a 14 year multiple unit subscriber.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:36 PM   #67
ggieseke

Quote:
Yes.
Tivo offered a reman box for $50
or
Roamio (6 tuner) for $325 + tax/shipping(?)
They said the base 6 tuner roamio had 150 hrs recording time (HD) which the agent said is the same as my EL4. I think he was wrong...

The XL4 had a 2TB disk, and the Roamio Plus has a 1TB disk. The actual hours depend on the encoding, etc.

With a Roamio you can throw anything up to 3TB in it, and it will format the drive automagically.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #68
sehale

This was a "near-boot" last night. I was 45 minutes into a show that was still recording. At 9 PM it was due to end and another show due to record - different channel, thus other tuner. Right at 9 the show I was watching froze, only one red light was on the front. I couldn't rewind or fast forward. (The other show was the premiere of The Walking Dead so I went into a panic!) I wound up going Live and saw that TWD began recording properly and the show I was watching ended successfully. Seems like the combination of watching the recorded show, while it was recording, and another show beginning to record. Close call.
sehale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:58 AM   #69
Teeps

Quote:
Yes.

I pulled the hdd it was wd20eurs.
Original warranty expired in June of 2013.
Ran Western Digital diagnostics through winXP Pro.
The program chewed for about 5 hours and stopped.
The message of "too many bad sectors" was displayed.

Decided, now that I know it's the drive, to replace it... off to Fry's later on.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #70
JackStraw777

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehale View Post
This was a "near-boot" last night. I was 45 minutes into a show that was still recording. At 9 PM it was due to end and another show due to record - different channel, thus other tuner. Right at 9 the show I was watching froze, only one red light was on the front. I couldn't rewind or fast forward. (The other show was the premiere of The Walking Dead so I went into a panic!) I wound up going Live and saw that TWD began recording properly and the show I was watching ended successfully. Seems like the combination of watching the recorded show, while it was recording, and another show beginning to record. Close call.
Same here my problem occurred near 7:20 EST. I was watching Cowboys/Seattle game on delay with the recording in progress at the same time recording NBC pre-game show. The football game stopped in it's tracks. Couldn't FF or rewind. Was able to go to live TV and even watch another recorded show. I stopped the recording on the Cowboy game went to live and started recording again. It was at commercial so it didn't ruin the game for me. I then went back to menu and now the original recording worked. I have no idea what TIVO is doing or why their actions freeze the home unit.
JackStraw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #71
Teeps

My Premiere (758) Elite's hdd failed last Sunday (12Oct2014) after 2 years and 2 weeks of service.
Best tivo would offer was $49 for a refurb and transfer my subscription fee to the replacement unit.

I'm in the process of using ddrescue to hopefully save the recordings.
If not I have a .VHD image for 758 machine to install and start over.

Update:
0930 hrs (14 Oct 2014) ddrescue completed with 87 errors and 500Mb of data loss.

TiVo not happy, can't get it to do kick start 57.
Startup Screen > Almost There > GSOD > Reboot, Startup Screen > Almost There > GSOD; repeat.
Now installing a VHD image I found online.

Update: 1350 hrs (14 Oct 2014)
Image completed. TiVo happy, but is back to square one.
Doing guided setup now.

Oh yeah, for those interested I used DvrBARS to load the .VHD image to the new hdd.
This still took about 4.5 hours.

Last edited by Teeps : 10-14-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:46 AM   #72
ggieseke

Quote:
Oh yeah, for those interested I used DvrBARS to load the .VHD image to the new hdd.
This still took about 4.5 hours.
Even on a USB 2.0 connection, a Quick Restore should only take about 10 minutes. With USB 3.0 or a direct SATA connection, more like 2-3 minutes.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #73
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Even on a USB 2.0 connection, a Quick Restore should only take about 10 minutes. With USB 3.0 or a direct SATA connection, more like 2-3 minutes.

Silly me; did the full restore.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #74
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Unless in a hurry, doing a full restore is the same as making sure every sector of the drive (or at least the sectors holding the size of the image/backup) can be written.

These days, I always recommend doing a full read test, followed by a full write test. Restoring data to a whole drive, full-mode, zeroes and all, qualifies as a write test.

If you encounter any read issues on the first read pass, then write the whole drive, you can verify everything you wrote can actually also be read, with another read test, and may not have repeated errors on the same sectors. Never assume a sector that writes without error, will read without error, unless you like to gamble, and are OK with any data loss, and time lost, due to not verifying the fitness of the drive.

With the QC of hard drives in the sad state it is in, with so many DOA, having questionable/bad sectors, or failing "infant mortality" style, testing before using is often reasonable insurance. Sometimes sectors that fail to read, will be fine after being overwritten, and never produce a read error again. Others will require reallocation to a spare sector.

I'm sure the testimonials from everybody who has just installed a drive, without testing, and has been running it for a day, or years, will now begin. It's your drive, your data, and your time, to do with as you see fit. I'll also throw in the commentary that testing now can't detect all things that could fail later.

A "Premiere Rebooting", as the thread is titled, can be caused by many things. So, any effort to help eliminate the drive as a suspect, will be worth it, to some. QC/QA on hard drives has been terrible for a while, now, as the reseller reviews clearly show.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:45 PM   #75
telemark

500MBytes missing is a huge gap out of 2TBytes.
Would be causing Green Screens, assuming it even gets that far.

If you want to pull some SMART data from it, out of curiosity, could be interesting.

Nothing wrong with a full restore except the time difference. Could be prudent for a new HD anyway.
telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #76
timstack8969

Juan an update for this thread, haven't had any Reboots with 20.4.4a using Premiere with Comcast.
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #77
Teeps

Quote:
500MBytes missing is a huge gap out of 2TBytes.
Would be causing Green Screens, assuming it even gets that far.

If you want to pull some SMART data from it, out of curiosity, could be interesting.
Agreed.
How would I pull smart data from the drive?
A link would be fine.
Old 10-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #78
JackStraw777

My Tivo just froze again and rebooted while I was watching a recorded show and TIVO was recording a show on one tuner. When is this going to stop!!!! I am getting ready to dump my TIVO and just get FIOS Quantum even if the capacity is only 200HD hours. I can't deal with this. TIVO are idiots. What did they do to their system to cause this. They modify some software at a central location and disrupt everyone's system.
JackStraw777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #79
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw777 View Post
My Tivo just froze again and rebooted while I was watching a recorded show and TIVO was recording a show on one tuner. When is this going to stop!!!! I am getting ready to dump my TIVO and just get FIOS Quantum even if the capacity is only 200HD hours. I can't deal with this. TIVO are idiots. What did they do to their system to cause this. They modify some software at a central location and disrupt everyone's system.

Happened to me tonight also.
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #80
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw777 View Post
My Tivo just froze again and rebooted while I was watching a recorded show and TIVO was recording a show on one tuner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
Happened to me tonight also.
if it freezes while you're watching, try the 30s skip fwd.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #81
dbwilbur

I haven't had a freeze in 2 days now... I think that is the longest I have gone without one in a few weeks.
dbwilbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #82
jcbeckman

My 2 Premieres freeze up and reboot if I leave them connected to the LAN. I f I disconnect them from the network, they are fine. So apparently I must be getting some sort of bad data from Tivo. I've reported it via the website but have not gotten a response. This has been going on since Friday (two days ago).
Old 10-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #83
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbeckman View Post
My 2 Premieres freeze up and reboot if I leave them connected to the LAN. I f I disconnect them from the network, they are fine. So apparently I must be getting some sort of bad data from Tivo. I've reported it via the website but have not gotten a response. This has been going on since Friday (two days ago).
Time to make a phone call to TiVo.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:13 AM   #84
jcbeckman

I'm out of town on business (of course this happened just before I had to leave) so I am working via the web right now. They want me to swap out one of the Premieres with one of the HD units that is working fine - not sure exactly what that is going to prove. They also want the units off the LAN for at least three days, which is easy as I unplugged them before I left, so they will be off for several before I get back. If it's still bad when I get back you are right, time to call.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #85
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
it was nice of margret to post in the roamio forum. i guess premiere owners can go to hell.
Thanks for the link. I don't think to look in the Roamio forum. Guess they only want to support the newest boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbeckman View Post
Not sure when I got 20.4.4a, but my PXL has been rebooting at least once a day for the past week. Maybe more often that I don't know about.

Guess I need to report to TiVo. I don't expect a response, but maybe the more gripes they get the more attention they will pay to it.
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:34 AM   #86
manfromnowhere

I posted in a Roamio thread I found via Google but my Premiere rebooted the first time I went into Netflix and then exited by pressing the TiVo key. I'm running 20.4.4a - I did a C&DE since it had the previous owner's stuff on it. I haven't used it to record anything yet but I'm starting to feel like I should have kept my trusty TiVo HD!
manfromnowhere is online now   Reply With Quote