TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Anthjo

Back on board with Tivo

So after several years away (locked in as a tenant at building complex that was in cahoots with Dish Network) I just picked up Tivo Premiere.....and I'm ready to sign on with Comcast Xfinity. A couple of questions for you cablecard veterans....

I want digital cable and internet in 2 rooms but only need DVR functionality (with the Tivo obviously) in one. Just need a basic converter in the other room. So, do I have the tech come out and do the install and ask for a cablecard? Does he take the converter back or should I just put it in the second room? I have my own wireless router. Do I need an adapter or can I just go directly into the Premiere? How does this all affect my package price?

I know this has probably been asked 1000x. Explain it to me like I'm an idiot....
Anthjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #2
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthjo View Post
So after several years away (locked in as a tenant at building complex that was in cahoots with Dish Network) I just picked up Tivo Premiere.....and I'm ready to sign on with Comcast Xfinity. A couple of questions for you cablecard veterans....

I want digital cable and internet in 2 rooms but only need DVR functionality (with the Tivo obviously) in one. Just need a basic converter in the other room. So, do I have the tech come out and do the install and ask for a cablecard? Does he take the converter back or should I just put it in the second room? I have my own wireless router. Do I need an adapter or can I just go directly into the Premiere? How does this all affect my package price?

I know this has probably been asked 1000x. Explain it to me like I'm an idiot....
Ok, the Premiere needs a cablecard. For the second room, you can just get a cable box unless you might want to watch some recorded shows from the Premiere. In that case, check out the Tivo Mini. Internet in two rooms can be accomplished with the wireless router you have. To have the cable folks actually set up internet in two rooms would probable involve a second cable modem. As for an adapter for the Premeire, there are Tivo branded wireless adapters that plug into one of the USB ports, or you can plug in an Ethernet cable directly. What I do is use a wireless router configured as a bridge and then do an Ethernet cable from that to my Premeire. A bridge would also give you that internet outlet (via Ethernet) in the second room. You can buy bridges or, what I did was to reprogram a Linksys router with DD-WRT so that I could configure it as a repeater bridge.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthjo View Post

I use wireless bridge devices on the 5 Ghz band to get Internet in my bedroom for my pc, bluray hth and my TiVo. If as the other responder indicated you want to go with a tivo mini you'll have to get one of the 4 tuner TiVo's. For two rooms and 4 tuners I choose two premieres this way I have the option to cut the cable TV cord. As bad as twc can be that threat has gotten me a $20 per month discount for a year. Granted I have two cable cards @$2.50 p/m and tivo service on two premieres (one lifetime second monthly for now).

Streaming on the 5ghz band is flawless, I have until very recently never had another 5ghz network near me. Two months ago another showed up. With 16 of the common 2.4 ghz band networks in range streaming on the 2.4 ghz band would likely be shaky. Remember 2.4ghz channels overlap 5ghz channels do not. Our you could for about three same price as a bridge goto Moca with two Moca devices and a switch in the bedroom. The one bridge device likely less expensive unless you existing router is 2.4 only in which case go Moca. B unless you intend to upgrade to dual band anyhow.

Though I'm already dual band N I intend to upgrade to AC soon. Others such as myself will be selling or dual band N devices
----
TiVo Premiere [746320]+WD1TB w/slide remote(original)
TiVo Premiere [746500]+WD1TB
TiVo Stream (happily streaming to Android)
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
mattack

You could just use a Tivo Mini in the other room, and save money... (amortized over years)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote