TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
GoEagles

Selling a TiVo

I am about to sell a TiVo and the buyer wants to verify the subscription. It is generally safe to give her the TSN on the back of the device? I just don't want them to try to change my account or anything weird like that.

Thanks!
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

I read on a ebay posting that the poster would not give out the TSN because of what happened to him before. He didn't say what did happen.

If the TiVo is a series 1 with lifetime and old enough, the lifetime can be transferred over to another TiVo, and if the TiVo agent doesn't play totally by the rules, someone could transfer the lifetime and not even have it their possession. I could have done that one time, but of course didn't.

Many TiVos on ebay blot out the TSN, but many of them right there on the pictures of the TiVo.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
I am about to sell a TiVo and the buyer wants to verify the subscription. It is generally safe to give her the TSN on the back of the device? I just don't want them to try to change my account or anything weird like that.

Thanks!
Even if the TSN is moved by anyone you give the TSN number to, you still have the TiVo, you can just move it back to your account, because you can prove the TiVo is in your home. The Series 1 special xfer may be an exception to what I just said.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
WO312

Have you called Tivo to ask them???
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
poppagene
User

I have sold many lifetime series 3 and hd tivos and always clearly show the tsn in my pictures. I've never had any problems.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
Have you called Tivo to ask them???
Like a Tivo agent would know!? I mean they are 99% nice to me every time I call, but they are in the dark on a lot of stuff. Many of them don't know ( or at least say they have never heard of it ) transferring lifetime from a Series 1 in some cases, don't know the difference between lifetime basic and full lifetime, and other basic TiVo info.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by replaytv View Post
Like a Tivo agent would know!? I mean they are 99% nice to me every time I call, but they are in the dark on a lot of stuff. Many of them don't know ( or at least say they have never heard of it ) transferring lifetime from a Series 1 in some cases, don't know the difference between lifetime basic and full lifetime, and other basic TiVo info.
Please don't use terms you don't understand when attempting to point out the ignorance of others.
It's not lifetime basic, it's Tivo Basic.
And why do you keep calling them, if their information isn't useful to you?