TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-05-2012, 05:29 AM   #1
mikengrove

Premiere ends recordings too early

Both my premiere and premiere 4 are missing ends to recordings. It's as if the TiVo programming guide is 1 minute fast. All my recordings finish about a minute before the end of show,there are no conflicts or clippings. This is happening on most channels.
Anyone else having this problem?
mikengrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:02 AM   #2
atmuscarella

If you identified your cable provider, what channels you had the problem on, & your location it might be useful. I am OTA only (Rochester NY Area) and have not seen this issue in quit awhile, but have seen it in the past a few times - usually it just cuts off next weeks preview.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 11-05-2012 at 06:11 AM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
LifeIsABeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikengrove View Post
Both my premiere and premiere 4 are missing ends to recordings. It's as if the TiVo programming guide is 1 minute fast. All my recordings finish about a minute before the end of show,there are no conflicts or clippings. This is happening on most channels.
Anyone else having this problem?
When TiVo "calls" in it sets its time with the atomic clock time. It should be accurate. You can find the atomic clock time on the internet and check it. The networks are probably starting/stopping late. I always pad all recordings by at least a minute (MTV I do 5 minutes).
Old 11-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
rahnbo

This may or not be the problem but unfortunately many channels extend shows + or - a minute for whatever reason. NBC on Thursday night is the worst to me. Every show bleeds in to the next. I guess they think they're being cute or something but its just annoying.
rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahnbo View Post
This may or not be the problem but unfortunately many channels extend shows + or - a minute for whatever reason. NBC on Thursday night is the worst to me. Every show bleeds in to the next. I guess they think they're being cute or something but its just annoying.
It appears the networks add 1 min. of commercials to popular shows and reduce the next show's commercials by the same 1 min.

And yes it is a real pain if you have conflicts because of the show ending 1 min late, but if you don't and the guide is correct everything should record ok.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
Wingershute

This is easily fixed by adding 1 minute to the end of the recording. I do this for all my shows and never miss anything.

Roamio Plus Lifetime
Mini Lifetime X 3
2 Premieres Lifetime
TiVo S2 doa
8tb server
Wingershute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #7
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

I've learned to just deal with it. I can't pad most showings so miss the last bit ( usually much less than a minute) Sitcoms are the worst, I usually get to see of hour long dramas.
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingershute View Post
This is easily fixed by adding 1 minute to the end of the recording. I do this for all my shows and never miss anything.
easily fixed, if you have enough tuners.. (which I mostly do now)

but yes, I add a minute to a HUGE proportion of my recordings.. Only AFTER I realize the minute isn't needed do I then remove it (so as to lessen conflicts).

NBC, E!, MTV all need padding. CBS used to always need padding, but I'm not sure anymore, though I still have padding on (I only care about 2 sitcoms on Mon nowadays that are separated by a half hour)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 AM   #9
aforkosh

There can also be a delay in cable transmission. For example, during the World Series, I was at a party that had an antenna connected TV on one side of the room and a cable connected set on the other side. I timed a 14-second delay on the cable set compared to the one on the antenna. I've done similar timings before, but, unfortunately, the delays are not consistent over either channel or time.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #10
CharlesH

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
It appears the networks add 1 min. of commercials to popular shows and reduce the next show's commercials by the same 1 min.
The fee networks charge for commercials is based on the rating of the show they are in (higher ratings = more eyeballs = higher charge). So they will want the commercial to be in the more highly rated show. With regards to the adverse effect this has on DVR users, they would probably consider the inconvenience to be a plus
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #11
crazee8

Mine was fine until the power went out during Sandy. I discovered that the tivo clock was off by 6 minutes when the power came back on. I restarted the box and now it's much more accurate. Even then, I still have to add a minute from time to time.
crazee8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
mattack

I wonder if it's the same thing as what was originally mentioned in this thread. Lately, on my new Premiere 4 (a few weeks old at this point), once in a while I see a recording where the time bar doesn't fill the entire time bar section.. However, I am NOT noticing chunks of the program missing/glitches. If all of the dropouts were coincidentally in commercial breaks, this could be an example. (I am not seeing the shows called "Partial" in the UI either.) What I mean is, I see THROUGH the very end of the time bar that should be filled.

I wonder if there is a HD UI bug where the time bar isn't calculated completely properly. (I do know that in SD UI on my S3-era machines, there can be situations where the current location jiggles back and forth a bit. Seems like a rounding issue, but I can't imagine a place where time W rounds UP to Z, but time X which is later than W rounds DOWN to Y (less than Z)… Unless there's some kind of multiple fractional offset thing going on..)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote