TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Rickster29us

Upgrading drive in running Roamio Base

I have the Roamio with the 500GB drive. I was golng to go external but I was not comfortable with a 2nd point of failure and reading other posts convinced me to replace the internal. I just bought the WD 3TB drive that has been recommended in several posts. I have extensive experience building computers so putting the drive in is not an issue (I hear getting the case off might be). From what I've read it looks all I need to do is replace the drive and the TIVO will format the drive and reload the software. Is this the case? I used KMTTG to create a file of my season passes so I should be able to reload them from my computer once the TIVO is ready with the new drive. I have FIOS and was wondering if I will have to re-pair the cable card. FIOS makes it pretty easy but I hope not. Does anyone know have I missed anything or made wrong assumptions. From what I've read it seems to be a pretty easy prospect on the Roamio to swap out drives. Please let me know if I have any misunderstandings or potential problem areas with replacing the hard drive. Thanks
Rickster29us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:57 AM   #2
A J Ricaud

You have all the correct facts re: the drive. I can't answer re: the re-pairing-don't hav FiOS
A J Ricaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
gkottner

I hadn't done any PC work in years and it took me 25 minutes to switch the drive. About 15 minutes involved getting the cover on and off. What worked for me was,after taking out the screws, flex the cover and the back set of clips should pop off easily. To get the middle set, I slowly slid a dinner knife under the center of the cover and that set popped off. The last set should now easily come off. Remember to take a look at the front cover before you pop it off to see how that is aligned, so you can easily put the cover back on.
gkottner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
cmshep222

I'm 99% sure you DO NOT have to re-pair CableCards. I know I've read it on here somewhere.
cmshep222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #5
hojbjerg

Just did an upgrade on a roamio base with TWC cable card and I had re-pair the cable card.
hojbjerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #6
Rickster29us

Quote:
Originally Posted by hojbjerg View Post
Just did an upgrade on a roamio base with TWC cable card and I had re-pair the cable card.
Thanks for the reply. Did you have to contact TWC? Also, about how long to format the new drive? Just so I know what to expectm
Old 05-11-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
Rickster29us

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J Ricaud View Post
You have all the correct facts re: the drive. I can't answer re: the re-pairing-don't hav FiOS
Thanks
Old 05-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
hojbjerg

Swapping the drive was probably 20 minutes and getting it up and running again was probably 1 - 1 1/2 hour.

Yes - I had to call TWC cable card activation and go through getting it re-paired. I had to pop the cable card out and they sent some activation code.
hojbjerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Rickster29us

Thanks. Hopefully with fios I won't have to re-pair
Old 05-13-2014, 07:08 AM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

You will most likely have to re-pair the cable card if you receive any premium channels (HBO, etc.).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #11
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

With Comcast I had to re-pair for HBO and video on demand.

Comcast, naturally, turned it into a nightmare and eventually they had to send a tech to do the re pairing.

But yes, you have the procedure right. I didn't back up my season passes so I had to put the old drive back to get them. Probably doubled my time.

I don't recall how long the format took, sorry. I did it in an evening easily.