TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-29-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
Jackamus

TC CLUB MEMBER
will be disappointed

Will be disappointed if TiVo doesn't do more updates and fixes to the TiVo Premiere. My biggest complaint has always been the slow and sluggish. Don't have the funds to get the Roamio yet.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Software updates are not going to make the processor in the Premiere faster.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
A software update did enable the second core, which made the Premiere's UI a bit faster.

And a future software update (feasibly) could reduce the amount of UI media and resources that the unit downloads from the internet... which would make the overall experience feel quite a bit faster.

I don't think TiVo will do this. I'm just saying they *could.*

I'm not upgrading to a Roamio because I don't watch that much TV these days. I am fine with my 2TB-upgraded 2-Tuner Premiere, TiVo Stream and iPad app. I am looking forward to using the Stream to watch TiVo'ed content outside the home. That's an update we'll apparently be getting, announced along with the Roamios. Very happy about that!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Arcady
Stargate Fan

The Stream is still a current product, so it should continue to get updates.

There is supposed to be a Fall update for the Premieres later this year, but I don't think anyone knows how much they are changing/updating. But I still doubt it will make the unit faster.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Get Used to Disappointment
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:28 AM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

The slowness will not be fixed by a software update. If they had a way to do that it would have been done a long time ago. They fixed the slowness on the Premiere by upgrading the processor and calling it Roamio.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Just bringing the Premiere back to pre- 20.3.1 speeds will be fine with me.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
Software updates are not going to make the processor in the Premiere faster.
It's possible if they used a different method to run the software that eased the strain on the processor, there would be a performance boost. I think of it like having too many concurrent processes running at the same time on a computer where it starts to slow down more and more, and then you suddenly close those 30 browser windows and it isn't bogged down anymore.
Sadly I doubt TiVo is going to take the time to recode the entire OS.
JWhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:32 AM   #9
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I am looking forward to using the Stream to watch TiVo'ed content outside the home. That's an update we'll apparently be getting, announced along with the Roamios. Very happy about that!
That's really one of the million dollar questions as to if the Premiere will support the streaming outside of the home. According to the Stream's webpage the support for streaming outside of the home is going to come, since the basic Roamio uses it, but no one really knows if that's going to be a Roamio OS only feature or if it'll also work with Premieres. I would like to think it would, but it would be one less thing to differentiate between what the Roamio can do and what the Premiere can do in regards to selling points.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:33 AM   #10
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The slowness will not be fixed by a software update. If they had a way to do that it would have been done a long time ago. They fixed the slowness on the Premiere by upgrading the processor and calling it Roamio.
Unless they perfected it with the Roamio and roll it onto the Premiere hopefully? Both use the same Adoble Air (Flash) software with minor visual differences so it's possible at least.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:35 AM   #11
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
The Stream is still a current product, so it should continue to get updates.

There is supposed to be a Fall update for the Premieres later this year, but I don't think anyone knows how much they are changing/updating. But I still doubt it will make the unit faster.
A friend of mine received an email from TiVo Margret hinting at a Fall 2013 update. "In cases where issues appear resolved on Roamio, you should expect they will probably be addressed in the next update to Premiere." and "The issue with descriptions in the channel banner truncating after three lines should be fixed in the Fall update that is coming to Premiere"

Keywords should and probably
Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

I'm not expecting my Premiere to get any faster, nor for Tivo to implement the new Opera HTML5 SDK on it.

I *am* expecting the Netflix app to be able to play an entire show without losing remote controls or closed captioning or simply rebooting the Tivo. None of those problems have anything to do with the underpowered CPU.
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #13
jjd416

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
I'm not expecting my Premiere to get any faster, nor for Tivo to implement the new Opera HTML5 SDK on it.

I *am* expecting the Netflix app to be able to play an entire show without losing remote controls or closed captioning or simply rebooting the Tivo. None of those problems have anything to do with the underpowered CPU.
Couldn't agree with you more!!!
jjd416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
jhilla

Lightbulb Our Plea to Tivo via Twitter

@TiVo IF winter Rollout doesn't help fix Premiere glitches can we please rollback back to pre-20.3.1 would be a compromise for all of us.=)

If this does not work, then I say we start a Online Petition and plead with Tivo to update the software back to the Pre 20.3.1. The machine was more stabilized. The question of the day how many signatures would it take to get their attention. 5,000 - 15,000 or 20,000

Let me know or input -- Do we push or Do we watch with frustration?
jhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #15
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post

That's really one of the million dollar questions as to if the Premiere will support the streaming outside of the home. According to the Stream's webpage the support for streaming outside of the home is going to come, since the basic Roamio uses it, but no one really knows if that's going to be a Roamio OS only feature or if it'll also work with Premieres. I would like to think it would, but it would be one less thing to differentiate between what the Roamio can do and what the Premiere can do in regards to selling points.
TiVo's FAQs and plenty of reviews have already stated it will come to the Premiere (just like it will come to the base Roamio, which doesn't have an integrated Stream.) Out-of-home access will be a feature of the Stream, not the TiVo. So the question has been answered, and yes, it will work.

- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #16
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhilla View Post
@TiVo
If this does not work, then I say we start a Online Petition and plead with Tivo to update the software back to the Pre 20.3.1.

hahahaaha. I needed a good chuckle this morning.

I would expect the fall update will fix a few things and give us a few more HD screens. We know its coming, so getting the troupes gathered now is simply premature. Lets talk in November once its been fully deployed and we are wondering if the Premiere line will get any additional updates/tweaks.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #17
JWhites

I agree that the pre 20.3.1 update was quite good, but I don't think there's technically a way TO roll it back without wiping the drive and starting completely over with the image, or swapping the device out all together. Maybe we should go to the media about it. If we make a big enough stink the shareholders will get nervous and put some pressure on. As always the best way is financially and maybe boycotting the Roamio would do something? I know, I know, I don't want to either.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
JWhites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
TiVo's FAQs and plenty of reviews have already stated it will come to the Premiere (just like it will come to the base Roamio, which doesn't have an integrated Stream.) Out-of-home access will be a feature of the Stream, not the TiVo. So the question has been answered, and yes, it will work.
Sounds good but only time will tell. Let's not forget how long we've been waiting for Android support....
Old 08-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
jhilla

Wink A TSN Downgrade perhaps..

((Stand Down)) Yes Sir.. Alright holding back forces until November. But as for the rollback think of as a Downgrade. I think what could occur if a compromise were to be made is a TSN Downgrade request.

Like we did when we foolishly agreed for the preview we added our TSN to the site and when the time came it rolled out. Somewhere in Tivo's vault is a copy of the old code that can be batched out to the machines requesting it. Unless the program is designed to only move forward and not back I don't necessarily see this as a problem. But this all depends on the way the project was coded.

Note, even if you were to WIPE the TiVo right now when it does the recovery it's going to pull the version you have right now plus whenever TiVo's beacon hits the Tivo servers it's going to see what version is needed and auto-pull.
jhilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhites View Post
Unless they perfected it with the Roamio and roll it onto the Premiere hopefully? Both use the same Adoble Air (Flash) software with minor visual differences so it's possible at least.
But it's not a software problem, it's a hardware problem. Up until a week ago the Mini ran the exact same version of the software as the Premiere. The UI was still significantly faster on the Mini then the Premiere. Why? Because the Mini has a much better chip.

It's like running Windows 7 on a 486, it would probably run but no where near as fast as a brand new i7, and no amount of software tweaks are going to bridge that gap.

The Premiere platform is a dog. It's always been a dog. It will always be a dog. If you want speed upgrade to a Roamio.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:30 PM   #21
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackamus View Post
Will be disappointed if TiVo doesn't do more updates and fixes to the TiVo Premiere.
You'll probably be even more disappointed with the updates they do put out for the Premiere.