TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
Brian Kendig

Premiere hangs when transferring show from another Premiere

I have two Series4 dual-tuner Premiere units - I'll call them A and B. Each has a digital cable card and they are both wired into my home network. A has a MyBook DVR Expander attached.

When I start to transfer a recording from B to A, within two or three minutes A will hang.

I've only tried to transfer HD recordings, and I've only tried from B to A, not the other direction. A hangs whether I'm transferring the recording for later viewing, or watching it while it transfers. I have to pull/reseat the plug to reboot it.

When it reboots, sometimes the video is choppy and the unit is dog-slow for a minute or two, then it reboots again on its own. This may happen one or two times until it boots up and works fine. I suspected the hard drive, so I booted it into diagnostic mode and ran SMART hard drive tests which took all night but passed with no errors. I have no problems if I don't try to transfer recordings, but I want to be able to!

What might be wrong?
Brian Kendig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Possibly your external is going bad and the Tivo can't detect a problem until it gets serious enough. Tivo shares the storage of recordings on both drives at the same time.

What happens when you try to record something on Premiere-A? does it freeze or lock up, maybe reboot?

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Brian Kendig

Thank you for the reply!

When I'm not trying to transfer a recording, Premiere A works fine. Records programs with no problem, plays them back with no problem. It was a month ago that I tried to transfer something and it hung and did the multiple-restart thing, so I gave up on the transfer, and it's been working completely fine since then until last night when I tried to transfer again.

I'm fairly sure that the overnight SMART test (from the 54 diagnostic menu) tested the external drive as well as the internal drive, since it had a column for Primary and one for Secondary and both were Pass.

These two details are why I'm suspecting this might be something other than a hard drive problem...
Brian Kendig is offline   Reply With Quote