TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: My last TIVO hard drive lasted ?
less than six months 1 2.38%
less than one year 0 0%
less than three years 1 2.38%
greater than four years 40 95.24%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #1
mangurian

HD mean time to failure ?

Are there any stats or any ideas on what the average lifetime of a TIVO HD is?

It seems to me that the drive is working extremely hard even when you are just watching a Hi Def channel - given the repeat function.

I know there is a large disparity in lifetimes even for the same model drive, but I am looking for expectations (such as mean time before failure).

Thanks,
mangurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangurian View Post

It seems to me that the drive is working extremely hard even when you are just watching a Hi Def channel - given the repeat function.

I know there is a large disparity in lifetimes even for the same model drive, but I am looking for expectations (such as mean time before failure).

Thanks,
I don't think you can get any meaningful information from your survey. Many of us automatically upgrade hard drives when we get a TiVo and/or keep them well ventilated and on UPSs, others do not.

Plus you would need information from 1000s of TiVos to have it be relevant. I fairly sure TiVo knows what the mean time before failure is but good luck getting it from them.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
jrtroo
User

My understanding is that the drive is working constantly, but not necessarily working to any sort of extreme. If concerned, do what many here do and upgrade it so you have a ready to install backup.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
LynnL999

None of the above answers apply to me, because my last TiVo is more than three years old but less than four.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Anybody try putting in a SSD drive into a TiVo?
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
Yep. It was concluded that the performance boost was not enough to make it worth the cost of an SSD drive.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=454580

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
ramblinche81

SSD is still too pricey vs platter drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
I wanted to ask same question over past couple of days as I researched replacing a failed drive.. The lowest price SSD with 1TB I have seen are almost $500 and up.

Once I saw the price to capacity I understood why no one else has talked about challenges or benefits of SSD.
ramblinche81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
ramblinche81

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I don't think you can get any meaningful information from your survey. Many of us automatically upgrade hard drives when we get a TiVo and/or keep them well ventilated and on UPSs, others do not.

Plus you would need information from 1000s of TiVos to have it be relevant. I fairly sure TiVo knows what the mean time before failure is but good luck getting it from them.
The data will be quite meaningful, it will give a distribution (not random based ) of service life. Distribution data is very useful.

If I know that 95% of users show life above x, I only have a 5% chance of failure less than x.

I think most shoppers would be shocked to learn the warranty failure rates for many home appliances. A lot of brands and electronics are north of 15%...a 15% failure rate is awful in terms of product quality.
ramblinche81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinche81 View Post
The data will be quite meaningful, it will give a distribution (not random based ) of service life. Distribution data is very useful.
Sample group is not large enough, and is too focused (xtreme TiVo users).

Data will be useless. You can debate it all you want, but it is useless. 99.999% of Internet surveys are worthless for these same reasons.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #10
mangurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Yep. It was concluded that the performance boost was not enough to make it worth the cost of an SSD drive.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=454580
Estimated lifetime

So, we know the exact lifetime capacity of an SSD and can monitor changes in it. However, most of the drives also show data about written and/or read information in their S.M.A.R.T. parameters.
Note: by the way, some manufacturers give the total amount of data written to the drive as one of the drive lifetime indicators. For example, Intel guarantees that the total of about 37 TB of data will be written to X25-M drives (20 GB per day for 5 years: “The drive will have a minimum of 5 years of useful life under typical client workloads with up to 20 GB host writes per day.”).
mangurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Sample group is not large enough, and is too focused (xtreme TiVo users).

Data will be useless. You can debate it all you want, but it is useless. 99.999% of Internet surveys are worthless for these same reasons.
I have to agree. This forum is mostly 'dedicated' TiVo users.

How do you define the lifetime of the DVR?
Is that without user intervention?

Because the hard drive and power supply can be replaced, you can easily say the DVR will last 10+ years.

If you're only talking hard drive failure, then you'd probably get better information from Google's hard drive study.

http://static.googleusercontent.com/...k_failures.pdf

Edit: BTW, I have three active Tivos. Two are original condition: an S2 that is 7 yrs old and a TivoHD that is just over 3.
The other TivoHD is 5 yrs old with a 3 yr old higher capacity hard drive (original is in storage and still works).

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 01-01-2013 at 10:48 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
jcthorne

Still, what you are likely to find out is that the drives generally last just fine for the product's intended lifespan. IE 4 to 5 years of continuous duty is pretty normal without high rates of failure. Not zero but acceptable rates.

I have been running Tivos since Y2K and have only had one drive fail in service and that was within a few weeks of installation. All the others were still working fine when the units were sold for upgrade to newer hardware.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I've only ever had one drive failure in a TiVo and I have owned more than 30 of them over the years. It was a 40GB in a DirecTV TiVo and it died after 6 years. I pulled a spare 80GB off the shelf and put it in. I still have original drives for all the Series 3 and 4 models sitting on a shelf, and they will probably not ever be needed. I'm about to get rid of a pile of drives for Series 2 boxes, now that I am only using Series 3 & 4 stuff.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

The hard drive is not even close to working hard as the op mentioned. It's only streaming a few HD streams. Yet the WD AV drives are supposed to be able to handle up to 12 HD streams.

My DirecTV boxes from ten years ago are still going strong. I gave them to a couple of friends a few years ago. They had been upgraded with 80GB drives when I first got them and were running mostly 24/7 during that time period.

Of course there will always be a certain small percentage of hard drives that have early failures but the vast majority of them will not have issues for many years.

The two S3 boxes that my GF has each has the first 1TB drives that were released. They are Hitachi, 5 platter, 1TB drives. And have been in the S3 boxes for close to six years now and have not had any issues with the boxes running 24/7. And hopefully they last for many more years. Because if they do have issues I will have to find a replacement drive for her.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #15
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangurian View Post
You need additional options for 5, 6 and 7 years. My original S1's 30GB drive was still working after 7.5 years when we retired it.

Need to be able to vote multiple times since I've had 4 TiVo's and the drives have all lasted more than 4 years.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
HockeyFan

After 17 months my TiVo was locking up
and rebooting so frequently I decided to
Replace the hard drive.
issue was immediately resolved and no
problems last 10 months.
original hard drive is being used on pc and
has no issues last 10 months.

Perhaps the TiVo just needed a rebuilded
image.

too bad you can't connect the TiVo to
a pc while running and perform a backup
and restore. you write that program, you'll
make boat loads of cash.
HockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #17
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

There are way too many variables to get any useful data out of a poll like this. I will say that I have owned some S1 boxees with the original drives that worked fine even though they were over 10 years old. Tivos come from the factory with AV drives which are more apt to work well with extended usage. They tend to spin more slowly, for one thing. In general, heat and on/off cycles are what does in drives so keeping your Tivo cool and occasionally dusted out inside are the best precautions. Although, a couple of those S1 boxes I bought were so covered with dust kitties inside that I was amazed they worked.