TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #1
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

60 Minutes 10/21/12 - Medical marijuana in CO, Greg Smith formerly of GS, Spielberg

Pretty good ep.

I had no idea the legalized medical marijuana business was so big in Colorado.

It was interesting to finally hear from the GS exec who quit via scathing op-ed in the NY Times.

Some of the background info about Spielberg was interesting. I had no idea about most of it.

Last edited by cwerdna : 10-22-2012 at 05:50 AM.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #2
jilter
Happy to be here.

Is this available online anywhere?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
mwhip
All better

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/60mi...main3415.shtml

Be interesting with the Greg Smith book will entail. Is Goldman like any other large investment bank where you maybe have pockets of unethical people? Probably. Did they ever commit any real "fraud" to their clients, it doesn't appear so.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
DeDondeEs

I FF'd through the marijuana piece, I am so sick of that whole debate (from both sides). The Goldman Sachs piece was interesting. But I really liked the Spielberg segment.
DeDondeEs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I only caught the marijuana piece. I found it interesting that the Fed interviewed said they weren't interested in going after patients or dispensaries, just people who try to turn it into a large scale drug trafficking ring. But then it was revealed that the Feds are making trouble for any financial entities (banks, MC/Visa) to do business with or loan money to dispensary start-ups.

Make up your mind, feds. I hope that if Obama is re-elected, he will support legalization since he won't have to worry about re-election again.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
I only caught the marijuana piece. I found it interesting that the Fed interviewed said they weren't interested in going after patients or dispensaries, just people who try to turn it into a large scale drug trafficking ring. But then it was revealed that the Feds are making trouble for any financial entities (banks, MC/Visa) to do business with or loan money to dispensary start-ups.

Make up your mind, feds. I hope that if Obama is re-elected, he will support legalization since he won't have to worry about re-election again.
The whole position of the Federal government in this case is just makes little real sense. I was kind of interested, but they glossed over it, how one "proves" that they need MJ for medicinal purposes in COL. They mentioned that there needs to be proof, but didn't get into it.

I also find it interesting how these stores, which are supposedly medicinal are more like candy confectioneries (or as they said classic head shops) than "drug stores". You'd think if they were really serious about pot being for medicinal purposes, you'd need a script and it would be administered at a pharmacy. The whole system seems out of whack. I kind of think that really, this is a tax revenue operation in Colorado more than anything else.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Plus, they're not allowing the businesses to take tax deductions for business costs.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
mwhip
All better

Not sure about Colorado but the comedy duo Garfunkel and Oates can you give you some insight on California:

(Some bad words here and there!!!)

Weed Card

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
The whole position of the Federal government in this case is just makes little real sense. I was kind of interested, but they glossed over it, how one "proves" that they need MJ for medicinal purposes in COL. They mentioned that there needs to be proof, but didn't get into it.

I also find it interesting how these stores, which are supposedly medicinal are more like candy confectioneries (or as they said classic head shops) than "drug stores". You'd think if they were really serious about pot being for medicinal purposes, you'd need a script and it would be administered at a pharmacy. The whole system seems out of whack. I kind of think that really, this is a tax revenue operation in Colorado more than anything else.
Certainly there are people out there getting bogus "recommendations" from doctors. But it's just a stepping stone toward legalization anyway. Back when alcohol prohibition was in effect, there were legal bottles of hooch labeled "for medicinal use only" and prescribed by a doctor. Sounds familiar.

They should just take a lesson from history and legalize it so they can regulate it and tax it like alcohol.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
Old 10-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwerdna View Post
Pretty good ep.

I had no idea the legalized medical marijuana business was so big in Colorado.
Name any single business category outside of coffee shops and there are more MJ shops in the R.O.B. than that. Thankfully they've zoned out some of the shops from schools areas and such, making for better spacing. Prop 64 is a tossup atm but some reason there hasn't been a super amount of TV time for advocate political ads. Perhaps the presidential compaigns have bought out all the tv spots as we are a tossup state as well.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #11
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

I'm surprised there are so few 60 Minutes threads in the forum, esp. given (from what I understand) it has pretty good ratings. Over the last two years, I've started most of them.

It's not that rare that they have an ep w/at least a good story or two.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...e-week/152293/ is an example of story I found about recent ratings.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #12
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilter View Post
Is this available online anywhere?
It's always available as a free audio podcast too. I listen at 2x, and sometimes it's even available before it actually airs here!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #13
mattack

Quote:
You could say the same thing about the UIGEA.

There is nothing illegal for a *person* to play poker online. However, UIGEA made it a crime to (simplification, hopefully close to correct) transfer money between a bank and an online poker acct.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #14
MegaHertz67
Registered Smart Ass

Quote:
They should just take a lesson from history and legalize it so they can regulate it and tax it like alcohol.
I've never been a pot smoker, but one of my college entrance essays back in 1985 was a call for the legalization of marijuana based mostly on fiscal reasoning.

make it legal
tax and regulate it, cost of regulation is paid for out of the taxes
spend less money on crime prevention by taking it off the black market
spend less money on legal system prosecuting victimless possession charges
spend less money on imprisoning non-violent offenders
provide another cash crop for farmers
provide another product for retailers to sell and consumer to buy

It seemed pretty clear to me at 18 that this was a net positive fiscal solution to our deficit problems of the time. And yes...I was accepted into every university to which I applied.

“Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
-- John F. Kennedy
MegaHertz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaHertz67 View Post
I've never been a pot smoker, but one of my college entrance essays back in 1985 was a call for the legalization of marijuana based mostly on fiscal reasoning.

make it legal
tax and regulate it, cost of regulation is paid for out of the taxes
spend less money on crime prevention by taking it off the black market
spend less money on legal system prosecuting victimless possession charges
spend less money on imprisoning non-violent offenders
provide another cash crop for farmers
provide another product for retailers to sell and consumer to buy

It seemed pretty clear to me at 18 that this was a net positive fiscal solution to our deficit problems of the time. And yes...I was accepted into every university to which I applied.
Agree with all of the above, and I don't smoke pot either.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
retrodog
King Button Pusher

"Remember, puff puff pass, puff puff pass..."
Vegetarians- The #1 preferred food source of carnivores.

Alcohol kills brain cells. But it's only the ones that were annoying the crap out of you anyway.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #17
Tivortex
Cherished Member

It's gonna be hard for the Feds to ever legalize it, as there are currently anti-trafficking treaties with a ton of other countries that specifically call out Marijuana as being a "bad thing".

What are they going to do, suddenly break the treaties?

Not to mention that the Law Enforcement Industry and the Justice Industry are heavily dependent on funding and employment opportunities.

Even if 64 passes I predict we'll never see it implemented.

That being said, I've been waiting 35 years to have a chance to cast this vote.

Last edited by Tivortex : 10-23-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: added thought
Tivortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #18
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post

"Remember, puff puff pass, puff puff pass..."
That is Anthony Anderson in the pic and I think the quote you are quoting is from Friday and is Chris Tucker

Gamertag - mwhip
Old 10-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #19
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivortex View Post
It's gonna be hard for the Feds to ever legalize it, as there are currently anti-trafficking treaties with a ton of other countries that specifically call out Marijuana as being a "bad thing".

What are they going to do, suddenly break the treaties?
They can keep the treaties and continue to crack down on import/export - just legalize it for U.S. citizens.

Quote:
Not to mention that the Law Enforcement Industry and the Justice Industry are heavily dependent on funding and employment opportunities.
Channel that workforce into the drug market that's actually doing harm. Other than laying off excess prison guards, wouldn't a huge reduction in non-violent incarcerations be a good thing for this country?

Old 10-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #20
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

It's more than just guards: prisons are big industry in the areas where they are located. Plus, many prisons are privately operated now and taking away a lot of young, healthy, non-violent prisoners would really eat into their profit margins.

I have no doubt the overall impact to the country would be positive, of course, but not everyone would be happy. I wonder how powerful the "prison lobby" is these days?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #21
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
It's more than just guards: prisons are big industry in the areas where they are located. Plus, many prisons are privately operated now and taking away a lot of young, healthy, non-violent prisoners would really eat into their profit margins.

I have no doubt the overall impact to the country would be positive, of course, but not everyone would be happy. I wonder how powerful the "prison lobby" is these days?
Much rather spend my money on teachers than prison guards.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
So the prison industry would lose out on the income they derive from imprisoning people who don't belong in prison. Boo freaking hoo - let them close.

Quote:
Unfortunately, probably pretty powerful.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #23
steve614
what ru lookin at?

If pot was legal, maybe law inforcement could concentrate on more important stuff that is not victimless like rape, murder, theft, etc.
So what if we need less prisons/prison guards? At least we'll know that the people who are incarcerated will deserve to be there.

BTW, aren't prison guards just people who can't pass the muster to be police officers?
Lower the standards to become a police officer, and the prison guards will still get work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #24
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
So the prison industry would lose out on the income they derive from imprisoning people who don't belong in prison. Boo freaking hoo - let them close.
Yes but...
Quote:
Unfortunately, probably pretty powerful.
That was my point.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #25
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
If pot was legal, maybe law inforcement could concentrate on more important stuff that is not victimless like rape, murder, theft, etc.
So what if we need less prisons/prison guards? At least we'll know that the people who are incarcerated will deserve to be there.

BTW, aren't prison guards just people who can't pass the muster to be police officers?
Lower the standards to become a police officer, and the prison guards will still get work.
The prison guards could become security guards at head shops
Old 10-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #26
sieglinde

I live in the North Bay in California. The owner of our local marijuana clinic is actually running for City Council and I suspect has a good chance of winning. I know people who use the medical marijauna. In some ways it has gotten worse under Obama than under Bush. Private plantings have been raided and destroyed by local law enforcement despite California law saying they can grow a certain amount. The problem we suspect is that law enforcement was given some sort of grant and they are spending the money. Also Obama could make Marijuana a level 2 drug with a stroke of a pen. (Meaning Rite Aid and CVS and Walmart couild sell it out of their pharmacies) and he hasn't. This is not political. I cannot see Romney suddenly turning Libertarian and changing the law either. I personally hate the stuff because I hate all smoking. (Eat your brownies!)
Old 10-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #27
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

The word on the street in Denver is that getting a doctors OK to smoke MJ is just as easy as buying a loaf a bread. If you have the money, the 'doctor' says 'OK'. There are pot shops all over the place in metro Denver.
I am not a drug user. (except for chocolate, and I am trying to get that brown monkey off my back)
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #28
retrodog
King Button Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
That is Anthony Anderson in the pic and I think the quote you are quoting is from Friday and is Chris Tucker

Indeed AA but not the movie the quote is from. Well I can't be sure since I never saw the one you mention. I was quoting a line he used at the end of a Steven Seagull movie. He was talking to Tom Arnold on a talk show.
Vegetarians- The #1 preferred food source of carnivores.

Alcohol kills brain cells. But it's only the ones that were annoying the crap out of you anyway.
retrodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #29
hillyard

Does this mean I can use my insurance to get high
hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #30
sieglinde

Since Marijuana is not a schedule 2 drug, no. The doctors visit is covered.