TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
shippy

Arrow New Premiere XL4 and distorted sound after skipping around

Hi, everyone. I recently upgraded my Series3 to a Premiere XL4 and I love the box, but I'm having one issue that is kinda driving me nuts.

The issue is that sometimes when I'm watching a show and I move around with the skip or replay buttons (and sometimes with normal FF and RW), when I hit play, the sound is all distorted. I wouldn't say with static or anything, but it's all tinny and robotic sounding. If I skip backward and forward a few times, then everything goes back to normal.

I also have a new Mini that streams shows from this Premiere and I haven't had the issue when watching shows on there (yet). So, I'm assuming it's something to do with my living room setup, even though it hasn't changed from my Series3 setup.

My Premiere is hooked up to my TV via HDMI, I always output the program's native format (with letterbox, if needed) and the sound goes to my receiver via optical. My sound output is set to Dolby Digital. My software version is 20.2.2.1-01-2.758.

Please let me know if you need some more info. I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Is the optical connection between the TV and receiver, or between the TiVo and receiver? What brand/model of TV?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
shippy

The optical connection is from the TiVo to the receiver. My TV is a Sony Bravia KDL-40XBR2.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Arcady
Stargate Fan

What happens if you disconnect the optical from the receiver and use the speakers in the TV? Or what happens if you switch the TiVo from Dolby to PCM, both on the TV and the receiver? I had some weird stuttering issues on my Elite when I had it on Dolby mode and had both HDMI and optical connected. I ended up connecting HDMI to the TV and using the TV's coaxial digital out to connect to the receiver, and that seemed to cure the issue.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
drkside

same issue here
drkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
shippy

It's a bit of a halting problem since I have to just try and make it happen until I feel like it's been long enough, but I could not get the issue to reproduce in PCM mode or with the sound going to the TV. Unfortunately, my TV doesn't support any sort of digital output when using HDMI input (the TV is about 6 years old or something like that). I've replaced my HDMI and optical cables and that doesn't resolve the issue when using Dolby Digital output.

Any more ideas before I call TiVo and demand a replacement unit? I don't find "upgrading" to a new unit and losing reliable digital surround to be acceptable.

Thanks.