TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #1
jrw77

Put a Premiere Hard Drive in a Tivo HD?

I have a Tivo HD (160GB). I decided to upgrade and purchase a Tivo Premiere Refurb unit (320GB) that was on sale. When I called Tivo to activate the Premiere and deactivate the HD they offered me a lifetime subscription on the HD unit for only $99.
Now I am considering using the HD unit rather than the Premiere but I will eventually need a new hard drive for it. Can I use the hard drive from the Premiere that I have? I know it has the wrong software on it but can I copy the software from the HD hard drive over to it the same way you would with a blank hard drive? Thanks.
jrw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

When you replace the Premiere's drive with another then use the original on another Tivo (or even use it on a PC), you will not have a backup if/when the new drive fails, or if you need to warranty return.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw77 View Post
I have a Tivo HD (160GB). I decided to upgrade and purchase a Tivo Premiere Refurb unit (320GB) that was on sale. When I called Tivo to activate the Premiere and deactivate the HD they offered me a lifetime subscription on the HD unit for only $99.
Now I am considering using the HD unit rather than the Premiere but I will eventually need a new hard drive for it. Can I use the hard drive from the Premiere that I have? I know it has the wrong software on it but can I copy the software from the HD hard drive over to it the same way you would with a blank hard drive? Thanks.
Ok, here's the skinny. You can upgrade the hard drive in the HD unit pretty much at will. There is an Upgrade Forum that talks about that and there is free imaging SW (WinMFS or MFSLive) and free images for the S3 and older boxes. The Premeire and above also have a free SW tool (JMFS) but you cannot, at this point, save and restore an image like you can with older boxes. You must have a working drive (like your original 320GB drive) and do a copy to the new drive. You will then be able to expand the recording space if the new drive is larger than 320GB. So, that means that using your Premeire drive in your HD will work but you will no longer have anything workable for the Premiere and no way to image a drive if you decide to use it in the future. There are sellers of pre-imaged drives out there so all is not lost, but it will cost you extra.