Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Eureka - 6/25/12 "The Honeymooners"

That was a packed full of stories episode.

The first fifteen minutes all I could think was "shut up you snob" every time Alison opened her mouth. No it wasn't Fiji, but it was an attempt at a romantic getaway. Whine, whine, whine. Ugh.

I will say though that when the roof caved in, I would have been seriously thinking wtf myself. The other stuff not so much, but the roof, that would bug me too.

Some of it was just common sense. I mean, if water hasn't run in years, you got to let it run for a few minutes to get the gunk out. Oh well, it ended well. She seemed more on the same page as Carter by the end.

I did like Carter and the water pump explanation. Sounded like my husband. "The pump jobbie is jammed up by the frickin’ sticky thing".

Now, on to the really fun stuff. Holly and rebirth and Grace is a spy!!!

I thought for a moment that Vincent was the spy from how he acted. Then, to find out it was Grace, and then.....to find out the other spy was Henry!! Well, the Other Henry. Oh that sounds like a Star Trek episode....wonder if Henry had an Evil Spock goatee.

Holly becoming live again was great and her and Fargo getting some nooky time was really cool but what? in the middle of the lab? come on! Oh well.

One of my favorite quotes -

“In this town, what’s true can be a very tricky concept.” said by Grace, though it could have come from Carter at any point in the last five seasons.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

So it was Henry from the alternate timeline that was involved, not THIS Henry since he is from a different reality right?
Old 06-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Idearat

When the previews for this episode had Holly acting belligerent I thought we'd learn that she wasn't really Holly, but the senator. I'm still bugged that we saw her solo in the virtual Eureka only to have Holly show up later.

Carter and Alison were just annoying. Both of them had their points, but they appeared to be equally clueless about the other's desires for the sole purpose of dragging out the segment.

The high point was creating a new Holly from scratch. While the body being built from the outside in came straight from the Kevin Bacon version of The Invisible Man, I kept imagining Weird Science.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #4
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
So it was Henry from the alternate timeline that was involved, not THIS Henry since he is from a different reality right?
The Henry that was there before Our Henry came to this timeline.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
The Henry that was there before Our Henry came to this timeline.
Yeah, they never addressed the issue of what happened to the people they replaced...
Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I can't wait for the explanation of why they can't duplicate their discovery of how to make a person immortal!
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
Linnemir

I felt sorry for both Carter and Allison, though it pains me to admit it. I was all misty when he said his first marriage failed because he hadn't put down any roots, and I wanted the cabin to work for that reason alone. But for the guy who's been the epitome of common sense during the whole series, he seemed to be pretty careless about checking out the cabin before taking her there. Little things like making sure the water was actually working would have been helpful!

At the same time, I can understand where Allison was coming from. She's rich and has higher expectations of romantic than working on a cabin in the woods. I think he might have gotten away with it if little things like lights, water, floor, and roof were working!

Next item - Holly. The paranoia and reaction to Jack made sense. I still wonder if she's going to survive though. If she does, it will be interesting to see how they explain little things like her being alive, or never aging.

Next item: No, they never explained or discussed or even mentioned what happened to the people who were displaced. Were they returned to the original time line? Perhaps. This has me wondering whether there will be another reset, putting everyone back where they started. That would only leave what's his name (Callas? Baltar from BSG - I'm blanking big time) hanging somewhere.

Henry as the other spy? Working with Beverly? Wasn't she a big part of his first love dying? Maybe that didn't happen in the new timeline???

Only three eps to go, and I feel like they're setting up for a new season rather than tying up loose ends with the whole spy thing ...
Linnemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemir View Post
Only three eps to go, and I feel like they're setting up for a new season rather than tying up loose ends with the whole spy thing ...
Do bear in mind (production note)
Spoiler:
that only the very last episode was written/shot after the show was not picked up for Season 6.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

One thing bugged me about this episode. Jack and Allison have known each other for years now. They've worked together and have been intimate for sometime. Any man, worth his salt should know the kinds of things that would appeal to his woman. Wouldn't Jack know that Allison wouldn't find spending a week in a dilapidated cabin that they would be fixing up even remotely romantic? Now a cabin that's already been cleaned up with everything working, perhaps. Allison has never appeared to me as the rustic type though.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
cheesesteak
Meh.

Jack was a complete a-hole to Allison with regards to the cabin. It was 100% inconsiderate of him to take her to a Green Acres reject and even worse, to make her stay when he saw how unhappy she was. The only thing missing was Mr. Haney selling them some worthless junk. This Jack was totally unbelievable based on the previous years of the show.

Hail Hydra!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Jack was a complete a-hole to Allison with regards to the cabin. It was 100% inconsiderate of him to take her to a Green Acres reject and even worse, to make her stay when he saw how unhappy she was. The only thing missing was Mr. Haney selling them some worthless junk. This Jack was totally unbelievable based on the previous years of the show.
I'm with you on that, there's been something off all season about the way they write Jack and Allison and it's episodes like this where it shows the most. That being said I like their dynamic, I can see them together, but only because I have the previous seasons of them to back me up, the chemistry is gone for the writing of these characters this year, but you can see the chemistry the actors are utilizing from the amount of time they have worked together previously.

I hope that made sense!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I wish Fargo hadn't shaved. I really liked him in with a beard.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #13
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Is Holly immortal? They printed out a replica biological body using her DNA profile, there's no reason not to suppose that it will function as her original body would have.

And even if she is, it's not the being immortal that they cannot duplicate, it's the transference of a human consciousness into a computer then to the immortal body that was the fluke.
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Wow...this was really bad...predictable....Allison being a bitch again (and the whole cabin thing preposterous)...Holly being "saved" yet again. Everything they had accomplished in making progress over the last several episodes went right down the crapper with this episode. Pure junk....the end can't come soon enough.
Bierboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:41 PM   #15
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteronaut View Post
Is Holly immortal? They printed out a replica biological body using her DNA profile, there's no reason not to suppose that it will function as her original body would have.

And even if she is, it's not the being immortal that they cannot duplicate, it's the transference of a human consciousness into a computer then to the immortal body that was the fluke.
I don't think immortal. In fact, I would be more worried that she could go sooner being that she is in an unknown quantity - the first of her kind.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:08 AM   #16
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I don't think Holly is immortal. But they have demonstrated that it is possible to hook someone up to a computer, transfer their "self" to said computer, create a healthy body (I'll take Alcide's body from True Blood, if you please!), and transfer the person into the new body.

If they can figure out how to backup the "self", you have total and complete immortality. You can never die and you can change bodies as easily as you can change clothes.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #17
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
If they can figure out how to backup the "self", you have total and complete immortality. You can never die and you can change bodies as easily as you can change clothes.
This sounds like a science fiction story I read once, but can't remember the title of. The character was filthy rich and could live and "use up" his body, get a new one - by transferring a copy of his mind to the new cloned body. Then the old one (still alive and even still 'him') would be shipped off somewhere for slave labor. He would then use the new body for eating what he wanted, having wild sex, and other gluttonous things.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
This sounds like a science fiction story I read once, but can't remember the title of. The character was filthy rich and could live and "use up" his body, get a new one - by transferring a copy of his mind to the new cloned body. Then the old one (still alive and even still 'him') would be shipped off somewhere for slave labor. He would then use the new body for eating what he wanted, having wild sex, and other gluttonous things.
You should read Takeshi Kovacs novels by Richard K Morgan (Broken Angels, Alterd Carbon, and Woken Furies). I liked them a lot.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:18 AM   #19
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
You should read Takeshi Kovacs novels by Richard K Morgan (Broken Angels, Alterd Carbon, and Woken Furies). I liked them a lot.
Thanks for the suggestion! They do sound interesting. Wish the first one wasn't 11.99 for kindle though. I just got it as a used PB copy thru amazon.

Last edited by betts4 : 06-28-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #20
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
You should read Takeshi Kovacs novels by Richard K Morgan (Broken Angels, Altered Carbon, and Woken Furies). I liked them a lot.
That was EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read her post. Recommendation strongly seconded. This guy practically reinvented hard SF single-handedly.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #21
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
That was EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read her post. Recommendation strongly seconded. This guy practically reinvented hard SF single-handedly.
I am going to go home and search my shelves. The story I was thinking of was written back in the 60's or 70's and published in an anthology with other short stories.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #22
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion! They do sound interesting. Wish the first one wasn't 11.99 for kindle though. I just got it as a used PB copy thru amazon.
I think I read at least 2 of them pre-kindle. They are also books that I intend to keep (they are that good). For many books, I would be happy to send to you and say "keep them" but for these, I'm happy to mail them to you but you'd have to mail them back.

p.s. I'm not home, so I don't know for sure if I have the dead-tree version handy or not.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #23
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I think I read at least 2 of them pre-kindle. They are also books that I intend to keep (they are that good). For many books, I would be happy to send to you and say "keep them" but for these, I'm happy to mail them to you but you'd have to mail them back.

p.s. I'm not home, so I don't know for sure if I have the dead-tree version handy or not.
Thanks for the generous offer, but I don't mind buying them (dead tree). I have a very large collection of books now and the kindle is just a new way to read them. I just hate to pay more than 7.99 for a kindle edition if I can get a used version for 4 bucks.

Old 06-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #24
eddyj

Quote:
You are thinking of the short story Fat Farm by Orson Scott Card, I think.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #25
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
You are thinking of the short story Fat Farm by Orson Scott Card, I think.
Bingo!

I think I read it in that edition of Omni - which I may still have in the basement. I don't think I knew just who OSC was back then.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #26
marrone
Phased Member

Decent episode. I'm actually surprised they made a big deal about the other Henry and such; I figured they'd try to make the whole timeline thing disappear since none of them seem to care if they go back to that timeline anymore.

-Mike
Old 06-28-2012, 04:22 PM   #27
kmccbf

Right now - Henry might.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #28
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrone View Post
Decent episode. I'm actually surprised they made a big deal about the other Henry and such; I figured they'd try to make the whole timeline thing disappear since none of them seem to care if they go back to that timeline anymore.

-Mike
And this is the first real consequence of the different timeline. Nothing really changed before this except that Allison didn't have an autistic son anymore.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #29
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
And this is the first real consequence of the different timeline. Nothing really changed before this except that Allison didn't have an autistic son anymore.
... and Allison no longer being in charge of GD, and Fargo being in charge, and Lupo being head of GD security, and Carter having Andy as his deputy, and...
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote