TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #31
inaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
The buyback was for only half her equity. So she's still in for 12.5% equity after the buyback at 4x the investment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Exactly. These sharks always talk about getting their investment back. The terms of this deal would provide Lori with a 2x return on her investment, plus she still has a 10% (or was it 12.5%) equity stake in the company to participate in the upside.
You could tell those guys were going to take the deal, even without the buyback. That's my point. Horrible deal to kill any potential huge upside. In fact, some of the sharks (I think it was Robert who is usually pretty mellow) didn't even know the buyback was part of the deal when Lori agreed to it, since it was sort of slipped in there.
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #32
Hank
AC•FTW

The only confusion at the end was when Lori didn't take the guy's 20% counter offer, and said "No". The guy then said "So your offer is 25%". "Yes". "We'll take it". The buyback was discussed before his 20% counter offer, so when Lori refused it, it was unclear if when he said "So your offer is still 25%" whether or not that included the 4x buyback. I think the other sharks thought it did not (it went back to her original offer of 25% no buyback), but in fact Lori still considered it part of the deal.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #33
newsposter
Poster of News

i love when they show someone in the past that didnt get a deal but is still successful..the show did its job getting them some publicity

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #34
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I really don't think you have your facts straight. Cuban started two successful companies BEFORE selling out to Yahoo:
Ok, I was wrong.. it was 2.. The first, for $6 mil, doesn't seem *THAT* successful, even way back in 1990.

Broadcast.com was a fluke, IMHO.. What I meant about failing was, didn't Yahoo end up taking a big writeoff due to it? Cuban lucked out due to the dot com thing.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:25 PM   #35
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Ok, I was wrong.. it was 2.. The first, for $6 mil, doesn't seem *THAT* successful, even way back in 1990.

Broadcast.com was a fluke, IMHO.. What I meant about failing was, didn't Yahoo end up taking a big writeoff due to it? Cuban lucked out due to the dot com thing.
Sure, but he sold out and made his money before the bust. It was only "lucky" after the bust. Yes, yahoo took a huge hit because of broadcast.com. Would he be any more or less less successful (w/r/t broadcast.com) if the dot-com bust didn't happen? I don't think so.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote