TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #31
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I like the show, but I'm surprised that Rules of Engagement lasted this long considering how much it got tossed around the schedule.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #32
nyny523
Oy

I liked Vegas
Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #33
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I like the show, but I'm surprised that Rules of Engagement lasted this long considering how much it got tossed around the schedule.
It kept pulling decent numbers (NBC would kill for a show that did that well), and Sony (production studio) kept giving them good deals on renewal so Sony could bolster the show's syndication value. Not coincidentally, the series finale will be the 100th episode.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #34
cannonz

Rules was the only one of those I watched, maybe someone else will pick it up.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #35
mattack

I still have almost 2 seasons of RoE I haven't watched, but it seriously has been something I planned on starting to catch up on this summer (after the season ends for most shows next week at the latest).

It's sort of a guilty pleasure. Not great, but entertaining. I liked Golden Boy too.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #36
swinca
Menace to society

Another +1 on missing Rules of Engagement.

xbox gamertag: swinca
swinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #37
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

Greg Berlanti really needs to give up on the "future and present day" concept. It didn't work with "Jack and Bobby" and it didn't work with "Golden Boy."
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #38
whitson77
Director Level

Golden Boy was good. Too bad.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #39
frombhto323

I'll miss Vegas. While I agree with most of the criticisms posted here, I thought the show had enough potential to give it a second season. In the end, I think CBS wanted too much convention out of a show with an unconventional setting and premise.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #40
LlamaLarry

I did some catching up on Vegas and just have "Sons of Nevada" left. Was this supposed to be the season finale or is this just the last episode we get to see?

I'll start drawing down Golden Boy next.
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #41
phox_mulder
I get paid 2watch TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
I did some catching up on Vegas and just have "Sons of Nevada" left. Was this supposed to be the season finale or is this just the last episode we get to see?
It was the last episode produced, I guess that makes it the Season and Series Finale.

phox

TiVo S3-65 HD Hours-Lifetime
TiVo HD 20 HD Hours
DirecTV HR21-700 80+ HD Hours
DirecTV HR20-100 80+ HD Hours
Harmony 880 Remote Control
phox_mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #42
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post

I'll start drawing down Golden Boy next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phox_mulder View Post
It was the last episode produced, I guess that makes it the Season and Series Finale.
At least it closed out a story line. Seemed more like a season finale but it didn't leave a cliffhanger. Maybe it was their best shot at a series finale.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #43
WhiskeyTango

Quote:
Originally Posted by frombhto323 View Post
I'll miss Vegas. While I agree with most of the criticisms posted here, I thought the show had enough potential to give it a second season. In the end, I think CBS wanted too much convention out of a show with an unconventional setting and premise.
What CBS wanted was for people to watch the show.
WhiskeyTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #44
LlamaLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WO312 View Post
At least it closed out a story line. Seemed more like a season finale but it didn't leave a cliffhanger. Maybe it was their best shot at a series finale.
I guess I'll take what I can get. Just seemed like there was more than 1 more episode could cover and since it did not have the "Season Finale" tag in the synopsis I was wondering if they had another couple coming.

Farewell, Vegas.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #45
markz
Hilarity Ensues

We gave up on Vegas after a few episodes, but I liked the rest.

RoE did a fairly decent finale to wrap up story lines.

Golden Boy's finale wasn't too bad. Didn't leave too much hanging.

I liked CSI:NY. Will miss it too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #46
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
What CBS wanted was for people to watch the show.
CBS bumped it for Golden Boy, kept it off the air for some time, then moved it to Friday. CBS never gave Vegas a decent chance.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #47
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianric View Post
CBS bumped it for Golden Boy, kept it off the air for some time, then moved it to Friday. CBS never gave Vegas a decent chance.
But before they bumped it for Golden Boy, it wasn't delivering the audience they wanted which is why it was bumped for Golden Boy.
It had a great time slot behind two of CBS' most watched shows. It still had a decent overall audience of over 10 million viewers. The key problem was that it didn't score well in the 18-49 dem and that is still considered the key group for advertisers. Other networks have renewed shows with similar dems but they aren't CBS.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...Television.php

Media buyers were buzzing at the CBS upfront after-party last week after the network canceled two drama series-freshman Vegas and veteran CSI: NY—which were averaging 10 million and 9.5 million viewers, respectively.

No other broadcast network has a scripted drama on its primetime schedule this season that averaged that many viewers. ABC's most-watched drama is Castle, which averages 9.3 million. Next is Grey's Anatomy with 8.2 million viewers. Fox's most watched drama is freshman series The Following, which averaged eight million viewers, while NBC's most-watched drama is freshman sci-fi series Revolution with 7.3 million.

In fact, ABC renewed freshman drama Nashville, which only averaged five million viewers and NBC renewed freshman drama Chicago Fire, which averaged 5.9 million.

An argument could be made that the move was caused by low 18-49 demo ratings for Vegas and CSI: NY—1.6 and 1.4, respectively—but Nashville and Chicago Fire were both renewed with 1.6 ratings in the demo, while NBC veteran drama Law & Order: SVU was also brought back with a 1.6, as was NBC sci-fi drama Grimm with a 1.4.

It turns out that CBS made the move for a simpler reason—because it can.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #48
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

What a stupid article. Just because the other networks renewed shows with similar demo audiences doesn't mean CBS should have as well. What constitutes a good rating is relative for each network. A 1.6 on CBS would be horrible and one of its lowest-rated shows. A 1.6 on NBC would be above average and warrant renewal.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:30 PM   #49
brianric

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
What a stupid article. Just because the other networks renewed shows with similar demo audiences doesn't mean CBS should have as well. What constitutes a good rating is relative for each network. A 1.6 on CBS would be horrible and one of its lowest-rated shows. A 1.6 on NBC would be above average and warrant renewal.
Meanwhile 60 Minutes with a 1.3 stays on the air.
brianric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:48 AM   #50
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I don't think that what you are saying and what the article is saying are all that different. CBS has the audience to do what they want right now and because of their success they are able to cancel shows that would be considered successful on other networks.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #51
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post

I don't think that what you are saying and what the article is saying are all that different. CBS has the audience to do what they want right now and because of their success they are able to cancel shows that would be considered successful on other networks.
The article quoted said:

Quote:
An argument could be made that the move was caused by low 18-49 demo ratings for Vegas and CSI: NY, —1.6 and 1.4, respectively. —...

It turns out that CBS made the move for a simpler reason: —because it can.
No, it didn't turn out that CBS canceled the shows just because it can. They canceled them because they had bad 18-49 ratings compared to other shows on CBS. And that all that matters. It doesn't matter what the ratings of renewed shows on other networks were. The article makes it sound like CBS made some arbitrary decision for the fun of it, and totally disregarded the ratings. But the reality is that the move was definitely caused by low 18-49 demo ratings. Low for CBS.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:14 AM   #52
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:

Meanwhile 60 Minutes with a 1.3 stays on the air.
1. 7 pm in Sunday is a different animal than the rest of primetime.

B. Production costs for a newsmagazine is a fraction of what scripted shows cost.

iii. The show does just fine compared to the other shows in its time slot.

IV. Don't underestimate the tradition and prestige that 60 Minutes has. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #53
lambertman
Not single!

Quote:
CBS never gave Vegas a decent chance.
Invalid argument when its premiere ep had by far the most viewers of any ep of the series.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:24 PM   #54
LlamaLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
Golden Boy's finale wasn't too bad. Didn't leave too much hanging.
Finally finished Golden Boy in an 8 episode marathon. Yep, still like the show and definitely would like to have seen what they would have done with more than the 13 aired.

Did they film any more, was that the full order for would would have been their S1 or any chance someone in the know on the show fleshed out how they would have ended the season and/or various arcs?