TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
consumedsoul

HBO movie recording deleting in X days?

Anyone else see this behavior - I have ample space on my Roamio, recorded a HBO movie but it's labeled yellow and indicates it will delete in 3 days (7 days from being recorded) - is there some kind of DRM flag that only allows a movie to stay recorded for 7 days?
Old 06-20-2014, 03:05 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumedsoul View Post
Anyone else see this behavior - I have ample space on my Roamio, recorded a HBO movie but it's labeled yellow and indicates it will delete in 3 days (7 days from being recorded) - is there some kind of DRM flag that only allows a movie to stay recorded for 7 days?
There's a DRM thing called the CCI bit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

and you should familiarize yourself with its features, but what you are seeing is probably a version of a Macrovision (It's not just for VCRs anymore!) restriction

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2006-08/...roadcast-flag/

Also see

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/243

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:57 AM   #3
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
There's a DRM thing called the CCI bit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

and you should familiarize yourself with its features, but what you are seeing is probably a version of a Macrovision (It's not just for VCRs anymore!) restriction

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2006-08/...roadcast-flag/

Also see

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/243
ah - thanks, never knew!
Old 06-20-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
Irishb

You need to change the "Recording" settings on your TIVO to "KEEP UNTIL I DELETE". The Tivo is set to delete shows after a few days.
Irishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
FitzAusTex

Yeah the yellow circle is because you likely have enough scheduled recordings upcoming and possibly 60+% full hard drive that the tivo is going to delete to free up space. It will get an "!" in the circle 24 hours before it will delete.
FitzAusTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #6
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitzAusTex View Post
Yeah the yellow circle is because you likely have enough scheduled recordings upcoming and possibly 60+% full hard drive that the tivo is going to delete to free up space. It will get an "!" in the circle 24 hours before it will delete.
that's definitely not the case, i don't have enough recordings in next 3-4 days that would put it even near 20% full...
Old 06-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
consumedsoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishb View Post
You need to change the "Recording" settings on your TIVO to "KEEP UNTIL I DELETE". The Tivo is set to delete shows after a few days.
other movies recorded on the same day (or even next day) on hbosphd isn't flagged as 'will be deleted within 3 days'.

this is so weird...
Old 06-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #8
NYHeel

I'd wait and see if it actually gets deleted. TiVo messaging in the My Shows list isn't very good and can be misleading.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's not a CCI flag. The only CCI flag that limits how long a recording lasts would have deleted it after 90 minutes. And it's not Macrovision as that only applies to analog recordings.

All this means is that at some point the TiVo thought it would need to delete that movie to make room. It may have been one day where bad data caused it to schedule a ton of episodes of some marathon, which then fixed itself later when it got better data. But once the expiration flag is set I don't think it ever goes away. There is nothing to worry about though, the movie wont actually be deleted unless the TiVo needs the space, and since you say the TiVo is only 20% full that's unlikely to actually happen. If you're really worried though you can set the movie to Keep Until I Delete
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #10
Bigg

Any show on the DVR will go to ! after a while, meaning it could be deleted at any time, but unless the thing runs out of space, it won't be. I KUID anything important, but I have a few daily shows that I don't always watch set up fro KUSN...
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have some recordings on mine that are from last September that don't have the (!), they're still blue. It's all a matter of scheduling. If the TiVo ever thinks it's going to run out of space based on what's in the ToDo list then it will start flagging recordings as possible for deletion. I've never had my Roamio pro even close to full and I don't have that many SPs so it doesn't have any yellow icons at all. However my wife has a TON of SPs and her Pro is at like 90% full so she's got a bunch of yellow in her list.

But in any case it doesn't matter, like we said nothing will ever actually get deleted unless you actually run out of space.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:54 PM   #12
jwbelcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I have some recordings on mine that are from last September that don't have the (!), they're still blue. It's all a matter of scheduling. If the TiVo ever thinks it's going to run out of space based on what's in the ToDo list then it will start flagging recordings as possible for deletion. I've never had my Roamio pro even close to full and I don't have that many SPs so it doesn't have any yellow icons at all. However my wife has a TON of SPs and her Pro is at like 90% full so she's got a bunch of yellow in her list.

But in any case it doesn't matter, like we said nothing will ever actually get deleted unless you actually run out of space.
I always thought it could do a better job projecting when a show will actually be deleted. I've got numerous SP that keep a max 5 or 10 episodes, so at 96% I see the (!) with the 3 day warning, but it never really runs out of space since its purging SP episodes fairly quickly.
jwbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:17 PM   #13
Bigg

I get the ! even when half of my XL4 is free. Although maybe that's because I have a limit on the number of episodes that can be stored and there are future ones that are going to record soon.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #14
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Just out of curiosity,

Is this a Cisco CableCARD running OS Ver PKEY1.5.3_F.p.1101

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Xfinity...hread-id/93096

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:09 AM   #15
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
...And it's not Macrovision as that only applies to analog recordings...

Go look at the title for this thread

Quote:
HBO movie recording deleting in X days?
Then read the Dave Zatz article to which I linked.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:15 AM   #16
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Go look at the title for this thread

Then read the Dave Zatz article to which I linked.
I'll repeat Macrovision ONLY applies to analog recordings. And since the Roamio doesn't record analog it can not apply in this case. That article you linked to was from 2006 back when we were all still using S2 units that recorded from analog inputs.

CableCARD devices use the CCI byte, and the CCI byte only has 3 settings that apply to TiVo. Copy freely, copy once and copy never. The first two do not limit how long a recording can be stored, only whether or not they can be copied agin after TiVo records it. The last one limits storage to 90 minutes, which can't be the case for the OP because he specifically mentions that it was scheduled to be deleted 7 days after he recorded it.

There is no flag that the cable company can set that will force A Roamio to delete a program 7 days after it's recorded.