TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
oldradio99

Comcast really does stink!

I was ready to pull the trigger of buying a Premier XL4 but decided to call Tivo to see what kind of deals I could get.

I currently own a Tivo HD and an older Tivo Humax with the DVD burner.

Tivo offerred me a $99 lifetime on the HD. And even suggested I sell my Lifetime Humax. When I questioned my need then for another cable card, they said its only $1.50 per month per Comcast.

Well I know better so called Comcast. Its only $1.50 if cable card in same device. For a second device its over $10/mo.

I hate Comcast and only wish I had an alternative.
oldradio99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
moedaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldradio99 View Post
I was ready to pull the trigger of buying a Premier XL4 but decided to call Tivo to see what kind of deals I could get.

I currently own a Tivo HD and an older Tivo Humax with the DVD burner.

Tivo offerred me a $99 lifetime on the HD. And even suggested I sell my Lifetime Humax. When I questioned my need then for another cable card, they said its only $1.50 per month per Comcast.

Well I know better so called Comcast. Its only $1.50 if cable card in same device. For a second device its over $10/mo.

I hate Comcast and only wish I had an alternative.
How many ota stations can you pick up? Do you watch the ota networks? You could use the Tivo HD for ota only. This way you still have 6 tuners, but only pay for one cc.
moedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
stujac

That must be "your" comcast; I have 2 cable cards for a TivoHd and a Premier and I pay 1.50 for both. In "my" comcast area we can actually bargain with them.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
celtic pride

If you guys are going to post about one comcast area being cheaper in one area over another then you should alt least post what city or state you live in!For all we know you both might be in the same town!
celtic pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
stujac

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
If you guys are going to post about one comcast area being cheaper in one area over another then you should alt least post what city or state you live in!For all we know you both might be in the same town!
I'm on Comcast, Willow Grove (PA).
Old 09-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
TerpBE
Go Terps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujac View Post
I'm on Comcast, Willow Grove (PA).
Comcast is supposed to waive the additional outlet fee if you have two cablecards in the same Tivo (and no other cable boxes). However, nobody at Comcast seems to know how to fix this problem. Every time they removed the fee, I lost all my premium channels from that cablecard. It took many months to get it fixed.

In the long Comcast cablecard thread, I posted the contact info for someone at Comcast who got everything straightened out. Search for my username in that thread, and give her a call if the regular Comcast phone support isn't able to help you.
TerpBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
stujac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE View Post
Comcast is supposed to waive the additional outlet fee if you have two cablecards in the same Tivo (and no other cable boxes). However, nobody at Comcast seems to know how to fix this problem. Every time they removed the fee, I lost all my premium channels from that cablecard. It took many months to get it fixed.

In the long Comcast cablecard thread, I posted the contact info for someone at Comcast who got everything straightened out. Search for my username in that thread, and give her a call if the regular Comcast phone support isn't able to help you.
Strike my previous comment; actually I pay nothing for the cable cards. Cut and paste from my bill (online version);

CableCard 09/15 - 10/14 0.00
2 @$0.00 each

This could be part of the overall deal I get with them; every time my current deal runs out I call them and they put me on a new deal with the exact same cost. It's sort of a joke but I don't mind playing the game every 6 months or so.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujac View Post
Strike my previous comment; actually I pay nothing for the cable cards. Cut and paste from my bill (online version);

CableCard 09/15 - 10/14 0.00
2 @$0.00 each

This could be part of the overall deal I get with them; every time my current deal runs out I call them and they put me on a new deal with the exact same cost. It's sort of a joke but I don't mind playing the game every 6 months or so.
Officially, Comcast only charges $1.50/mo for the second CableCARD in the same device, $0.00 for first card in any device. The $10/mo (actually $9.95/mo) is a "Digital Outlet Fee". Unofficially, their charges are all over the place.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #9
oldradio99

I am in the Chicago area.

I just received a phone call from their Executive Team after a rant on FaceBoook and guess what? There is nothing they can or will do. But I got quoted an entirely different rate for the second card.

I want to dump Comcast sooooooo bad but I have no decent alternatives. UVerse and FIOS are not in my neighborhood.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
oldradio99

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedaman View Post
How many ota stations can you pick up? Do you watch the ota networks? You could use the Tivo HD for ota only. This way you still have 6 tuners, but only pay for one cc.
I have not had much success with OTA without an external antenna.

I am thinking of selling the Humax and the HD, getting the Premeire XL4 for the Family room and use using a Comcast DTA in the bedroom. I might also get a Stream for the few times I want to watch recorded TV in the bedroom on my Ipad.

I refuse to pay Comcast anything extra.

Oh by the way, they offered me a premium change free for 6 months for my long standing service. Told them to keep it.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldradio99 View Post
This is confusing the extra outlet fee with the cable card fee.

Yes, it's still money out of your pocket, but it's essentially what they're charging you INSTEAD of a separate box (and it's still likely cheaper than another cable box).

I'm not defending it, at least not completely. I sort of conceptually can see why they would charge more for a separate device (implying it was being used on a different TV) compared to multiple cable cards being required for ONE device (heck, was this true for any company's device BESIDES the OLED S3?), where they're sort of "accessories".

(Hey, I stayed with analog, even on S3 + TivoHD, because of these kinds of shenanigans.. I still far prefer the "split the cable and you get all the channels" method.. Yes, long ago, I even got premium channels in analog with NO box.. legally.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #12
buscuitboy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE View Post
Comcast is supposed to waive the additional outlet fee if you have two cablecards in the same Tivo (and no other cable boxes). However, nobody at Comcast seems to know how to fix this problem.
Oh, how true this is & tell me about it. I JUST got back from Comcast yesterday TRYING to clear up a cable card charge discrepancy on my account. It involved THREE customer service reps at my local office and I felt like I was talking to a wall.

First of all, NONE of them truly understood the cable card charges to begin with and kept insisting it was right on my account. I tried to show them how it WAS right in the past in that the first cable card was free and they were then charging $1.50 for the second one in the SAME TiVo. However, they somehow jacked the rate up to $10 for the 2nd cable card.

I was in there days ago trying to clear it up, but wound up giving up and then returned with a print out of what their own website says about the cable card charges for my series 3; first in free, 2nd is $1.50.

Well, even after they agreed about what it should be charged, they didn't seem to know how to fix it. LOVELY. Recently, I have SERIOUSLY considered thinking of dropping Comcast all together and use my Series 3 with an outside antenna along with Netflix (& maybe Hulu).

They are SERIOUSLY driving customers away. I think they are trying to offset the loss of revenue of people leaving by playing these cable card shenanigans with current customers and basically raising the rate, but in its just backfiring and they will wind up losing more customers in the end. Just my 2 cents...

If anyone else is interested in showing Comcast what their own website says about cable charges, here is a link to the page (that I ultimately had to show my local reps):

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and...cablecards#cc9

Last edited by buscuitboy : 09-28-2012 at 09:33 AM.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #13
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

How many more Comcast threads do we need? A simple search here will reveal that their card billing sucks, because it's entirely YMMV what anyone will get with them. And usually, no one at Comcast 1st level knows how to fix it, and sometimes beyond that.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #14
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
How many more Comcast threads do we need?
Well, Comcast threads pale in comparison to Apple related threads, so if we're going to chastise people for posting redundant crap...start with the Apple threads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #15
synch22

I have 2 tivos (series 3 and HD)and 3 cable cards. I used limited basic from Jan-August, Sept I sign up for digital preferred with the special pricing of $50 or so for 12 months. I will go back to limited basic in Jan (or use up the 12 month special pricing damn DIY and Food Channels) but primary reason is football related.

This is the second year I have done so and Comcrap somehow is not charging me for the additional digital outlet for the second year in a row when I am signed up for the digital service. I would like an additional cable card for another tv but I am holding back as it would allow for an audit of the account and my bill would go up by $20 not just $10.

Do I feel bad? No not at all.
synch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #16
buscuitboy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch22 View Post
I would like an additional cable card for another tv but I am holding back as it would allow for an audit of the account and my bill would go up by $20 not just $10.

Do I feel bad? No not at all.
At one point I had a similar circumstance, but it somehow got "corrected" and its been down hill ever since

In the last two weeks, I have been seriously looking into some other options and alternatives to my TiVos. Specifically, Ceton and SiliconDust products that can run a 4-tuner digital cable system for the whole home off ONE M-Card. Then basically use Xbox360s as your cable box on each TV.

This will not only avoid additional box fees that Comcrap tried to impose, but only ONE free cable card is needed and the Xbox360 can even get Comcast OnDemand service on each set (that my Premiere is supposedly gonna get one of these days).

I'm a little hesitant about its ease of use for the wife and kids compared to the TiVo, but it could be worth a shot.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #17
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
In the last two weeks, I have been seriously looking into some other options and alternatives to my TiVos. Specifically, Ceton and SiliconDust products that can run a 4-tuner digital cable system for the whole home off ONE M-Card. Then basically use Xbox360s as your cable box on each TV.
You do realize the XL4 and Premiere 4 are Tivos (and thus have the ease of use you want), and have 4 tuners with one cable card, right?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
You do realize the XL4 and Premiere 4 are Tivos (and thus have the ease of use you want), and have 4 tuners with one cable card, right?
Yea, I am well aware of the 4 tuner Premieres & still might consider this setup option, but as I stated, I want to "run a 4-tuner digital cable system for the whole home off ONE M-Card". Plus, I am interested in a whole home DVR solution that is available NOW.

And yes, I know TiVo is planning to bring out their "mini" boxes that will allow me to borrow a tuner off a 4-tuner Premiere to watch live HD channels on different TV. This definitely sounds like a great idea and something I would consider. I even read that a future update would allow these minis to borrow a tuner from a dual tuner Premiere (I have one with lifetime), but knowing TiVo's track record on introducing technology, it could be a while for both of these concepts to actually see the light of day.

Hence the reason I have researched the Ceton and SiliconDust products. The only thing I am now concerned & wondering about is how well an Xbox360 integrates with these as a "media extender" for viewing live TV channels. I am seeing some youtube videos about it and it doesn't seem like you can simply change channels. Rather, you have to call up the TV Guide and pick a channel to go to. If this is the case, it would definitely be a big strike against this setup in my opinion.

Last edited by buscuitboy : 10-03-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
jrtroo
User

In recent times, Tivo has been releasing their new hardware as advertised. The mini is scheduled for fall.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #20
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
.....Tivo has been releasing their new hardware as advertised. The mini is scheduled for fall.
Let's REALLY hope so, but I'll believe it when I see it Expect the worst and hope for the best.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
buscuitboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
.....Tivo has been releasing their new hardware as advertised. The mini is scheduled for fall.
Let's REALLY hope so, but I'll believe it when I see it. I tend to expect the worst and hope for the best when it comes to TiVo. I'll keep my expectations low so anything else will be a blessing & pleasant surprise. Hopefully they prove me wrong though
Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #22
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtic pride View Post
I have a cable box AND 4 cable cards, about 7 months ago Comcast dropped the price from $1.50/each to $1.15/each per month, I don't know why.(all my AO charges on my bill have been at $0) I'm in the Hartford CT area. (I have the cable box because Comcast told me I would save nothing if i returned it under my 2 year plan)