TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,669
Eureka 7/9/12 "Double Take"

That was the original season finale. I can see where they figured they could wrap up the series with just one more episode...this one left the story in a place where there's not that much left to wrap up. Instead of figuring out how to keep the show going with the government shutting down Eureka, all they have to do is...let the government shut down Eureka.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,037
Bummed that the show will be ending with the town apparently being shut down. As someone in a previous thread mentioned, I would have much preferred to have the show just end with the characters and town still apparently continuing on their merry way. That's always a more satisfying ending than some contrived plot that creates a false finality.

As for this episode, we're supposed to believe that the NPCs (did they ever tell us what that stands for?) replaced everyone in the town except Fargo and Allison? What about the security guards? Fargo was talking about it costing millions of dollars to print a body blank. How did Holly and the rest of them have the funds/resources to print hundreds of body blanks for all of these NPCs?

Also, why does Holly get to continue "living" while the rest of the NPCs were archived? What's the difference between her and them?
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
robojerk
Registered User
 
robojerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
As for this episode, we're supposed to believe that the NPCs (did they ever tell us what that stands for?)
NPC stands for "Non Playable Character". It's a game reference for a character that has a set of scripted actions/comments.
__________________
Verizon FIOS + DVR (Los Angeles)
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
robojerk
Registered User
 
robojerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Fargo was talking about it costing millions of dollars to print a body blank. How did Holly and the rest of them have the funds/resources to print hundreds of body blanks for all of these NPCs?
TV Magic, or DoD (taxpayer) money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Also, why does Holly get to continue "living" while the rest of the NPCs were archived? What's the difference between her and them?
I believe her body was just reprogrammed with an NPC version of herself. Considering how they made such a big deal about how her program couldn't be copied, only transferred (rollseyes), I too wonder how they were able to bring her back. Also what about Andy, I guess they could have "reset" him.I wou;didn't get too caught up with the technicalities.
Like did they have an NPC programmed for Holly already, if yes why did we never see her in the matrix? What did NPC Jo do with the military commander? Yeah they could have cloned him, but was there a generic NPC for him?
__________________
Verizon FIOS + DVR (Los Angeles)
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
kaszeta
Fjohürs Lykkewe
 
kaszeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Grantham, NH
Posts: 20,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Fargo was talking about it costing millions of dollars to print a body blank. How did Holly and the rest of them have the funds/resources to print hundreds of body blanks for all of these NPCs?
I thought he was saying that the printer itself was millions of dollars.
kaszeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaszeta View Post
I thought he was saying that the printer itself was millions of dollars.
No, he was specifically talking about the printing process. "I never would have authorized that!" But the printer already existed, so it wouldn't have needed to be authorized.
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
What did NPC Jo do with the military commander? Yeah they could have cloned him, but was there a generic NPC for him?
I thought they sent Shaw on a wild goose chase to look for Grace (saying that she'd used her credit card at some gas station) so that he'd be out of the way.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
NPC stands for "Non Playable Character". It's a game reference for a character that has a set of scripted actions/comments.
While that is one of the alternatives given by Wiki, it is usually Non Player Character. Not really scripted, just controlled by either the computer or the Game/Dungeon Master. In the matrix-Eureka, all of the characters other than the Astraeus crew were NPCs. When Jack went in, he replaced "his" NPC.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
eddyj
Registered User
 
eddyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 48,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ
As for this episode, we're supposed to believe that the NPCs (did they ever tell us what that stands for?) replaced everyone in the town except Fargo and Allison? What about the security guards? Fargo was talking about it costing millions of dollars to print a body blank. How did Holly and the rest of them have the funds/resources to print hundreds of body blanks for all of these NPCs?
Not everyone was replaced. Everyone was kidnapped and plugged in, but there were a limited number of NPCs in created bodies.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #10
betts4
I am Spartacus!
 
betts4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: A Galaxy far, far away....
Posts: 27,295
TC CLUB MEMBER
I loved it when Vincent said "everyone into the freezer!" I knew that he was evil then!
__________________
I agree with Betts. angbear1985
"You bettsed your claim" Bryhamm



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #11
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
Not everyone was replaced. Everyone was kidnapped and plugged in, but there were a limited number of NPCs in created bodies.
I suppose that's possible, but I sure got the impression that everyone who was plugged in had been replaced. Weren't they trying to replace everyone so that people outside the town, such as Shaw, would have no idea what had taken place? If so, they'd have to replace everyone. They couldn't just have some of the people disappear.

Also, there were dozens of "people" chasing Allison and Fargo when they ran to the cabin. Obviously there are more than dozens of people in the town, but I got the sense that they were trying to portray the fact that everyone who had been plugged in had been cloned.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 31,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
I loved it when Vincent said "everyone into the freezer!" I knew that he was evil then!
I was amused that all these geniuses thought that being locked in a freezer was a good thing...
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
robojerk
Registered User
 
robojerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Huntington Beach CA
Posts: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I was amused that all these geniuses thought that being locked in a freezer was a good thing...
No street smarts....
__________________
Verizon FIOS + DVR (Los Angeles)
robojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:31 PM   #14
betts4
I am Spartacus!
 
betts4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: A Galaxy far, far away....
Posts: 27,295
TC CLUB MEMBER
And I found myself liking Allison this week. More like old Allison.

I also liked the touch of them bringing back the 'older' Jenna. That made it all the more creepy, but how exactly did they do that?
__________________
I agree with Betts. angbear1985
"You bettsed your claim" Bryhamm



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #15
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,317
As with most TV shows, inconvenient problems that would interfere with the plot are ignored. I fail to see how they had either the time or the resources to create all of the bodies they actually showed much less the entire population of Eureka. Not to mention that the matrix computer was shut down and taken away. Where have the NPCs been hiding that escaped the purge and what were they planning to use to recreate the matrix?
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #16
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon
 
Hunter Green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: People's Republic of Vermont
Posts: 2,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by robojerk View Post
NPC stands for "Non Playable Character". It's a game reference for a character that has a set of scripted actions/comments.
Actually it's non-player character. It's a character played by someone other than a player. In tabletop roleplaying games like D&D (which is where the term originated) they're played by the Gamemaster. In computer games they're played by the computer.

Last week they could barely scrounge up enough processing power for Holly, and now they can run the entire town's worth of NPC-standalones. I guess that's Moore's law for you.

I wonder if they're going to find a way to address the show's initial scene with Carter and his daughter seeing themselves driving out when they drove in.
__________________
former owner of a Series 2 Tivo, lifetime subscription, 233 hours, now sold
Hunter Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #17
RGM1138
I wanna Rock
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Gulfport, MS
Posts: 3,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
Actually it's non-player character. It's a character played by someone other than a player. In tabletop roleplaying games like D&D (which is where the term originated) they're played by the Gamemaster. In computer games they're played by the computer.

Last week they could barely scrounge up enough processing power for Holly, and now they can run the entire town's worth of NPC-standalones. I guess that's Moore's law for you.
Well, not to mention that they have a digital printer that will conveniently squirt out human body forms for the NPCs to D/L into.

Hey, can I have a Liv Tyler clone since the technology is so handy?
__________________
Bob

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #18
eddyj
Registered User
 
eddyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 48,809
It is not a digital printer, it is a bio-printer.

And I want a Liv clone too.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
kmccbf
Registered User
 
kmccbf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 2,242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
Last week they could barely scrounge up enough processing power for Holly, and now they can run the entire town's worth of NPC-standalones. I guess that's Moore's law for you.
I sort of had the understanding that the NPC's had the computer that Beverly's group was using somehow. I'm not sure how, but that was the impression I got. Since that was all it was being used for there was plenty of power. The reason they had trouble scrounging up the power was most of their computers weren't set up for the type of program as that computer and those that could be made to handle the program were in use for other functions.

I'm not totally convinced that they will shut down Eureka. At least I hope not. That would be a really sad ending.
__________________
Keith
kmccbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #20
lpwcomp
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: John's Creek, Georgia
Posts: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccbf View Post
I'm not totally convinced that they will shut down Eureka. At least I hope not. That would be a really sad ending.
Maybe they'll just kick all of the "real" people out and revive the replacements.
__________________
James L. Sutherland
"You know TiVo users. Bunch of b****y little girls" TiVoAxe

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #21
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 38,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccbf View Post
I sort of had the understanding that the NPC's had the computer that Beverly's group was using somehow. I'm not sure how, but that was the impression I got. Since that was all it was being used for there was plenty of power. The reason they had trouble scrounging up the power was most of their computers weren't set up for the type of program as that computer and those that could be made to handle the program were in use for other functions.

I'm not totally convinced that they will shut down Eureka. At least I hope not. That would be a really sad ending.
Didn't the computer Beverly's group was using get confiscated when they were caught? Part of it was taken to GD which is where Zane and Fargo discovered that Holly was still in there, but then that part got taken away as well.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
kmccbf
Registered User
 
kmccbf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 2,242
I didn't say it made sense! That was just my understanding

Actually, I thought the whole thing was confiscated, I just figured that they had gotten it back somehow.
__________________
Keith

Last edited by kmccbf : 07-11-2012 at 03:56 PM.
kmccbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #23
Church AV Guy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: high desert California
Posts: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
As with most TV shows, inconvenient problems that would interfere with the plot are ignored. I fail to see how they had either the time or the resources to create all of the bodies they actually showed much less the entire population of Eureka. Not to mention that the matrix computer was shut down and taken away. Where have the NPCs been hiding that escaped the purge and what were they planning to use to recreate the matrix?
That original computer could not keep the simulation running properly with only one extra person plugged into the system. How will it EVER function with the whole town plugged into it? It would completely break down!
__________________
Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #24
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,517
Line of the series from Carter --

"I've gotta kick my ass..."
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #25
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer
 
Bierboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Quad Sillies
Posts: 11,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
...I wonder if they're going to find a way to address the show's initial scene with Carter and his daughter seeing themselves driving out when they drove in.
I'll be sorely disappointed if they DON'T address it. That would be very appropriate...keep Eureka going, but Carter leaving to meet Allison in SF to live "happily every after"......**barf**.....
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #26
jschuur
TV-holic, improving
 
jschuur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Maybe they'll just kick all of the "real" people out and revive the replacements.
The NPCs wanted the 'real' people back in their pods, so they could work in the virtual world and harvest their work, as per their original programming. This suggests that the NPCs weren't smart enough to do the actual research, just smart enough to create enough physical bodies to coral everyone in and let the real human intelligence do the hard work.

Obviously this leaves the Beverly angle unaddressed, but I think their whole motivation was just to follow their original programming. We don't have a clear indication that Beverly has escaped the confines of her prison and was able to control the NPCs at all.
__________________
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Why do I have to watch a French movie?! I didn't do anything wrong!" - Phil Dunphy
jschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #27
Mr_Bester
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschuur View Post
The NPCs wanted the 'real' people back in their pods, so they could work in the virtual world and harvest their work, as per their original programming. This suggests that the NPCs weren't smart enough to do the actual research, just smart enough to create enough physical bodies to coral everyone in and let the real human intelligence do the hard work.

Obviously this leaves the Beverly angle unaddressed, but I think their whole motivation was just to follow their original programming. We don't have a clear indication that Beverly has escaped the confines of her prison and was able to control the NPCs at all.
I thought Beverly was on the loose after she put Senator Wyn into the fake cell in the computer...
Mr_Bester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #28
jschuur
TV-holic, improving
 
jschuur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bester View Post
I thought Beverly was on the loose after she put Senator Wyn into the fake cell in the computer...
Err. Right. I got my antagonists mixed up.

They could make Beverly even less evil in the finale, by delivering the actual masterminds of the people behind the Astraeus hijacking and general espionage.
__________________
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Why do I have to watch a French movie?! I didn't do anything wrong!" - Phil Dunphy
jschuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:37 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |