TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
SixString

Weirdness about the 30 minute cache

I'm going nuts trying to figure out the 30-minute cache on my HD.

Let's say I've paused the Tivo and after a while it's unpaused and I'm at the beginning of the 30 minute buffer. Let's also say it's 11:20 so I'm now watching the live stream from 10:50, and a new show started at 11:00.

I want the last 10 minutes of Show A, so I press record. However, I lose those 10 minutes and it starts at the beginning of Show B.

Sometimes.

Other times I get the end of Show A and the whole 20 minutes of Show B.

And sometimes, I get much more than 30 minutes. Today, it was 11:40, so I was 40 minutes into an hour-long program and hit Record, figuring I'd miss the first 10 minutes. But BAM, I got not only the entire show, but the hour long show before it!

In summary: Sometimes I get less than a half hour, sometimes 30 minutes, and other times (rarely) up to an hour twenty! Is there any predictability and control to this? Suppose I always want the entire 30 minute buffer: is there a way to do that?
SixString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
cannonz

I've noticed that too, one day it was 20 minutes into adam 12 I pressed rec when watching later had all of it and the full 30 minutes of show before it total of an hour.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
mattack

People have hypothesized it as this:
The Tivo buffer is X gigabytes.

When you hit record, you get that X gigabytes added onto the recording, no matter how many minutes of recording it actually was.

The "30 minute" part is shown to the user in UI, showing you only the rolling 30 minutes.. But that doesn't necessarily take up all of the buffer that they have allotted to it.

BTW, there's another thread from today saying that on some Tivos, people aren't seeing this behavior anymore.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
BTW, there's another thread from today saying that on some Tivos, people aren't seeing this behavior anymore.
There's been a couple of recent threads on this subject.
Now with this one, I wonder why it has become an issue all of a sudden.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #5
SixString

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
People have hypothesized it as this:
The Tivo buffer is X gigabytes.

When you hit record, you get that X gigabytes added onto the recording, no matter how many minutes of recording it actually was.

The "30 minute" part is shown to the user in UI, showing you only the rolling 30 minutes.. But that doesn't necessarily take up all of the buffer that they have allotted to it.

But is there no way to guarantee I'll get the entire 30 minute cache, even if it crosses a new show boundary? I tried recording by Time/Channel, but that didn't work. I hate that it clips off the early part of the cache and starts saving at a new show start point.
SixString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixString View Post
But is there no way to guarantee I'll get the entire 30 minute cache, even if it crosses a new show boundary? I tried recording by Time/Channel, but that didn't work. I hate that it clips off the early part of the cache and starts saving at a new show start point.
That's what I'm referring to that other people are seeing, that it IS clipping at a show boundary.

I *absolutely* have seen it record part of the previous show.. though the time bar starts at the right time..

and interestingly, I transferred such a show from my TivoHD to Premiere 4, and it transferred the HOUR of the show, but the time bar showed it as if it was (approx) 1.5 hours long, with the time bar starting at a half hour in.. but didn't consider it a "partial" recording. I think I'm describing it right. Basically, I can see from a programming perspective what it did, but it was weird.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote