TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-23-2016, 06:23 AM   #121
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiebrown40 View Post
Am I correct in that I'll need at least a 1TB drive to install the image? Also, what are the thoughts on SSD drives? Just trying to get the best performance possible.
Anything below 1TB and it won't restore at all. Since that image came from a factory drive that was never booted, the OS is too old to handle drives over 2TB and it will boot loop. Once you put the drive back in the XL and let it update to the latest software you can use MFSTools 3.2 to copy/expand it to a larger drive.

SSD drives won't make it perform any better, and aren't designed to be written over continuously.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:12 AM   #122
reggiebrown40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Anything below 1TB and it won't restore at all. Since that image came from a factory drive that was never booted, the OS is too old to handle drives over 2TB and it will boot loop. Once you put the drive back in the XL and let it update to the latest software you can use MFSTools 3.2 to copy/expand it to a larger drive.

SSD drives won't make it perform any better, and aren't designed to be written over continuously.
Understood. I thought the image you were sending was from a 160GB Tivo. I actually still have the original drive that came with my Tivo which is 1TB in size. If copying requires an equal or bigger drive I'll just go get another drive. I think that SSD's are a big improvement over HD's and if there are any bottlenecks it will be due to either the processor or the hard disk controller in the Tivo. I don't believe it will perform any worse so I'll give it a shot. Have you or the previous poster Unitron ever used an SSD in a Tivo?

reggiebrown40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:54 PM   #123
ggieseke

XLs shipped with 1TB drives, so that's the smallest image available.

TiVos throttle down the drive speed to 1.5Gbps (SATA I) no matter what you put in them. A few people have tried SSDs, but I'm not one of them. Check the specs if you go that route - it has to have AT LEAST 1,953,525,168 512-byte sectors usable to restore the image.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 07-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #124
reggiebrown40

ggieseke,

I was able to image my new SSD drive and the results are great. Moving through the menus are much faster than before so I think there is some benefit to having an SSD drive, although it may be a little early to tell. Thanks for all your help. I'll report back with an assessment once my drive starts filling up.

reggiebrown40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:36 PM   #125
DTR1947

Trying to locate image for my dead hard drive Tivo TCD748000

DTR1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:03 AM   #126
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTR1947 View Post
Trying to locate image for my dead hard drive Tivo TCD748000
PM sent.