TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
thegibster

Comcast CableCARD problem (Imagine that)

I recently upgraded to a 4 tuner TiVo Premiere XL4. I called Comcast and they told my my current 3 year old Multistream card is only good for 2 tuners. They scheduled a technician to come by. The technician told me that 4 stream Mcards are not available in my area (I live on the Eastern Shore of MD). He gave me his supervisor's telephone and told me to calll every few months or so to see about availability.

Anybody had this problem? If I complain hard enough shouldn't they be able to get one sent in from another area?

Thanks in advance for any input.
thegibster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
retiredqwest

Did you call the Comcast Cablecard Hotline: 1-877-405-2298?

Motorola Cable Cards can do 6 streams, there is no such thing as a 2 stream or 4 stream card. I've read about headends not being able to do more than 2 streams...... but, I don't know how accurate that is.

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
md37793

Im not shocked. The eastern shore is Scientific Atlanta territory. Do their cablecards handle 4 tuners?

Update: I just talked to comcast on online chat and they said that our market only does 2 tuners. Im switching back to comcast from directv. I Guess my decision between premiere and 4 is made. ho-hum.

Last edited by md37793 : 02-12-2013 at 03:14 PM.
md37793 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
lpwcomp

They tried to feed someone else the same line when he couldn't get more than two tuners to work on his Premiere 4. He went back and forth with Comcast and TiVo. The problem turned out to be that two of the tuners had somehow been allocated to streaming. Once he undid that, all four tuners worked fine. Doesn't matter who manufactures it, an m-card can handle 6 streams. I don't see any way that the head-end could have any effect on that. IOW, the technician is a moron or was trying to justify a field visit. If they charged you for it, demand a refund.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
thegibster

Thanks for the input...I kinda figured it was going to be a back and forth with Comcast.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by md37793 View Post
IUpdate: I just talked to comcast on online chat and they said that our market only does 2 tuners. Im switching back to comcast from directv.
They are absolutely wrong and obviously do not know what they are talking about. Maybe their DVRs can only do two streams, but the CableCARD m-card specification is 6 streams. There are no 2-stream CableCARDs.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
thegibster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
They are absolutely wrong and obviously do not know what they are talking about. Maybe their DVRs can only do two streams, but the CableCARD m-card specification is 6 streams. There are no 2-stream CableCARDs.
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, I should be able to insert my existing M stream CableCARD into my new 4 Tuner TiVo, activate the new TiVo and it should work.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegibster View Post
So, if I'm understanding this correctly, I should be able to insert my existing M stream CableCARD into my new 4 Tuner TiVo, activate the new TiVo and it should work.
You will have to get it paired to the new TiVo for it to be fully functional, but basically yes. Pairing may not even be necessary if you have no Premium channels. One of my Premieres has never been paired to the CableCARD and it works fine. If your CableCARD is defective and truly only supports 2-streams, demand a replacement. Saying that "our Market only does 2 tuners" is flat out not true. Whoever told you that is either an idiot or lying. CableCARDs ARE NOT TUNERS.. I suspect that what is really at work here is that the local Comcast only has 2-tuner DVRs that you can rent from them, so in the conglomeration of mush that they have in lieu of a fully functional brain, they "think" that is all that is possible.

Comcast is traditional cable, not IPTV. There is simply no way to limit the number of "streams" going to a device. Especially when you consider the fact that Comcast does not use SDV. All of the data for all of the channels is going everywhere all of the time.

Send e-mail to we_can_help@comcast.com. Ask them to please stop these local operations from continuing to put out this bogus information.

After installing the CableCARD in the new TiVo, call 1-877-405-2298 and explain the situation. That is reportedly the Comcast CableCARD hotline. Hopefully, they will be more help than your local morons.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:21 PM   #9
thegibster

Quote:
You will have to get it paired to the new TiVo for it to be fully functional, but basically yes. Pairing may not even be necessary if you have no Premium channels. One of my Premieres has never been paired to the CableCARD and it works fine. If your CableCARD is defective and truly only supports 2-streams, demand a replacement. Saying that "our Market only does 2 tuners" is flat out not true. Whoever told you that is either an idiot or lying. CableCARDs ARE NOT TUNERS.. I suspect that what is really at work here is that the local Comcast only has 2-tuner DVRs that you can rent from them, so in the conglomeration of mush that they have in lieu of a fully functional brain, they "think" that is all that is possible.

Comcast is traditional cable, not IPTV. There is simply no way to limit the number of "streams" going to a device. Especially when you consider the fact that Comcast does not use SDV. All of the data for all of the channels is going everywhere all of the time.

Send e-mail to we_can_help@comcast.com. Ask them to please stop these local operations from continuing to put out this bogus information.

After installing the CableCARD in the new TiVo, call 1-877-405-2298 and explain the situation. That is reportedly the Comcast CableCARD hotline. Hopefully, they will be more help than your local morons.
Will do....thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
md37793

Gibster,
did you get it working? I would like to know because I want to buy a premiere 4 and want to know how much of a hassle it might end up being dealing with comcast.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
thegibster

Quote:
Gibster,
did you get it working? I would like to know because I want to buy a premiere 4 and want to know how much of a hassle it might end up being dealing with comcast.
I'm going to give it a try tomorrow morning. I'm hoping that if it doesn't work automatically that the person on the other end of the CableCARD hotline can get the unit/card "paired". I will update tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #12
caddyroger

Quote:
Gibster,
Just remember you only hear about the bad installs. I have Comcast also. I had no problems with cable cards install. I bought a series 3 2 months after they came out which I believe was 2006 or 2007. Picked 2 cards from the Comcast office went home and 15 min later had them paired up and running. I have bought the premiere 2 tuner and a elite. No problems with the Cable cards. I may have between a Ceton tv card and reactivating tivos installed about 8 cards with no problems with pairing.
Comcast is a lot better now about getting the cards paired..
Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
thegibster

Quote:
Gibster,
I am "up and running". My M-stream Scientific America CableCARD is supporting 4 tuners. I did have to call Comcast to get my premium channels to work. After a 2 hour upload I now have a program guide. Issues I am still working on are: 1)still can't search for programs. 2)no Netflix 3)how to transfer programs from TiVo Desktop to my new TiVo.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
lpwcomp

Quote:
I am "up and running". My M-stream Scientific America CableCARD is supporting 4 tuners. I did have to call Comcast to get my premium channels to work. After a 2 hour upload I now have a program guide. Issues I am still working on are: 1)still can't search for programs. 2)no Netflix 3)how to transfer programs from TiVo Desktop to my new TiVo.
Make sure you go online and into the TiVo settings and enable all of the things that must be enabled for transfers to work. It may take a couple of days for the TiVo to set itself up fully. You probably already knew all of this since you had a TiVo.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
thegibster

Quote:
Make sure you go online and into the TiVo settings and enable all of the things that must be enabled for transfers to work. It may take a couple of days for the TiVo to set itself up fully. You probably already knew all of this since you had a TiVo.
Yeah, I wasn't complaining too hard because I've heard it takes some time for everything to come online.

Just chatted with TiVo. They said to connect to the TiVo service again and I should have search and Netflix capability...2 hour wait on Desktop transfers.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
thegibster

Quote:
Yeah, I wasn't complaining too hard because I've heard it takes some time for everything to come online.

Just chatted with TiVo. They said to connect to the TiVo service again and I should have search and Netflix capability...2 hour wait on Desktop transfers.
All is working now. All being said, not too bad of an experience. Thanks to all who replied.

Last edited by thegibster : 02-14-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: forgot sentence
Old 02-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #17
md37793

Good to hear. Now I know I can get a 4!