TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #1
dougitect

Antenna only works when checking Antenna Signal Strength

I am new to TiVo. I'm trying to get it to work with OTA channels.

I bought a used Premiere (Series 4) and an indoor style antenna (and a new TV). The antenna is a Mohu. I've tried it with and without the amplifier on and it seems to work best for me (in an urban area) without it.

When I hook up the antenna directly to the TV I get the big four OTA channels fine. When I hook up the antenna to the TiVo, nothing. Just the message "Searching for a signal on this channel. (V52) Press Select for help."

The strange thing to me is: if I then go into the Settings & Messages>Channels...Antenna Signal Strength I can get the big four channels pretty well. If I can watch them in this mode, why don't they come in when watching normally?

Thank you for any tips!
Doug
dougitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Have you gone through Guided Setup with the antenna connected in the Antenna Coax input? I also assume this is a 2 tuner Premiere because that is the only Premiere models which accepts Antenna.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:25 AM   #3
dougitect

Yes, I went through the guided setup a few times, trying to get better results. And yes, it has the ability to have both a cable provider and an antenna connected at the same time.

Any ideas on what I should try next? Thank you.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
unitron

Are you entering the channel number directly from the remote's number pad or using the channel up, channel down button?

Do you enter it

1 2 ->| 1

(with

->|

being the little button slightly north of the "3" button)

in order to get channel 12.1 or 12-1?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Are you entering the channel number directly from the remote's number pad or using the channel up, channel down button?

Do you enter it

1 2 ->| 1

(with

->|

being the little button slightly north of the "3" button)

in order to get channel 12.1 or 12-1?
Or go to the channel guide and access the channel through the its guide listing
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
dougitect

That seems to have done the trick. How simple! I guess I had been just punching in single channel numbers on the number pad like "5" versus "5.1".

Thank you for your quick and brilliant help!
Old 06-16-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

You had not mentioned anything about channel changing, so you could get some totally different responses.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 06-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #8
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougitect View Post
That seems to have done the trick. How simple! I guess I had been just punching in single channel numbers on the number pad like "5" versus "5.1".

If you put in, for instance, just a "5", it goes looking for a cable channel 5.

Now that over the air is digital, and stations can do the sub-channel thing, you have to be specific that you want 5.1, even if there is no 5.2, 5.3, etc.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:03 AM   #9
Series3Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougitect View Post

And that is such an annoying thing about TiVo. It would be nice if we could have the option in the Channels menu to select "Digital OTA Only" so that we could press just 5 and it would tune to 5.1 just like many HDTV's do. Sometimes I can't hit the <- fast enough and I get sent to the analog channel with NO video and the pain of having to attempt to punch 5.1 again. That would be a nice software upgrade for at least the Roamios, TiVo.
Series3Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:04 AM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series3Sub View Post
And that is such an annoying thing about TiVo. It would be nice if we could have the option in the Channels menu to select "Digital OTA Only" so that we could press just 5 and it would tune to 5.1 just like many HDTV's do. Sometimes I can't hit the <- fast enough and I get sent to the analog channel with NO video and the pain of having to attempt to punch 5.1 again. That would be a nice software upgrade for at least the Roamios, TiVo.
When you went through Guided Setup, did you tell it you have antenna only, and not cable?

Old 06-17-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
When you went through Guided Setup, did you tell it you have antenna only, and not cable?
That does not matter since Tivo will switch to a non-existent channel when you enter a number like 1-1 or just 1, as well as an existent channel like 5-1 or 5.

An easier way to go to a channel is to just press Guide or Select and just scroll down to whatever channel you are seeking.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 06-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #12
dougitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
An easier way to go to a channel is to just press Guide or Select and just scroll down to whatever channel you are seeking.
Great tip. Thanks!
Old 06-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #13
poppagene
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
That does not matter since Tivo will switch to a non-existent channel when you enter a number like 1-1 or just 1, as well as an existent channel like 5-1 or 5.

Isn't that what I suggested?
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

This can sometimes be a matter of the lineup having the mappings wrong.

Sometimes the way a problem is described, leaves things open to interpretation/assumption. This thread seems like one such example.

Cablecards are easier to find this on. No matter what you tell guided setup, the cablecard is fed it's own channel map by the cable provider, which will always be correct, unless the provider has a misconfiguration in their mappings.

When using "test channels using M-Card" through the TiVo, the TiVo's channel mappings & guide data are completely bypassed, and every channel tested is mapped solely by the cablecard's mappings.

Any time the "test channels" option under DVR Diags is providing working channels, but normal operation does not, it points straight to the lineup/guide data being wrong (or having something wrong with it, even corruption of it).

Sometimes you will have to use a neighboring zip code that should receive the same channels as yours when this happens. The other zip code may have been updated, while the correct one (your zip code) has not yet been updated. It does happen, even with OTA lineups.