TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
drhoads

TiVo HD XL Dieing - Upgrade not an option!

I bought two (2) TiVo TCD658000 HD XL (150 hours HD) in 2009 and now they are both rebooting and hanging on boot up with a gray screen. I was going to upgrade to the new Premiere just to find out that TiVo no longer supports ATSC over the air. It's now cable only? I went with TiVo to get away from the cable companies! Who was the stupid idiot that decided to get in bed with the cable companies at TiVo?
drhoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
tatergator1

The 2-tuner Premiere still offers OTA support. It's only the 4-tuner models that are digital cable only.
tatergator1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
drhoads

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatergator1 View Post
The 2-tuner Premiere still offers OTA support. It's only the 4-tuner models that are digital cable only.
But it's half the hours (75) and the units I have are THX Certified.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoads View Post
I bought two (2) TiVo TCD658000 HD XL (150 hours HD) in 2009 and now they are both rebooting and hanging on boot up with a gray screen. I was going to upgrade to the new Premiere just to find out that TiVo no longer supports ATSC over the air. It's now cable only? I went with TiVo to get away from the cable companies! Who was the stupid idiot that decided to get in bed with the cable companies at TiVo?
The newest 4-tuner Premieres support only digital cable, but the original 2-tuner Premiere and the (now discontinued?) 2-tuner Premiere XL support OTA and analog. But before you give up on your old units, search for "capacitor plague" in various threads here. And if your problems aren't in the power supplies, they're probably caused by failing hard drives, which can also be replaced. Do some reading.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #5
drhoads

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
The newest 4-tuner Premieres support only digital cable, but the original 2-tuner Premiere and the (now discontinued?) 2-tuner Premiere XL support OTA and analog. But before you give up on your old units, search for "capacitor plague" in various threads here. And if your problems aren't in the power supplies, they're probably caused by failing hard drives, which can also be replaced. Do some reading.
The caps look good and I did create the images using WinMFS when I first got the units. I have restored the images to the same hard drives a couple of times and they work fine for a short time. Sometimes days, sometimes weeks. Is this as simple as buying new WD green hard drives and restoring the image to the new drives or is it more involved in creating new partition, etc. before restoring the images to the new hard drives?

Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #6
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoads View Post
The caps look good and I did create the images using WinMFS when I first got the units. I have restored the images to the same hard drives a couple of times and they work fine for a short time. Sometimes days, sometimes weeks. Is this as simple as buying new WD green hard drives and restoring the image to the new drives or is it more involved in creating new partition, etc. before restoring the images to the new hard drives?

Thanks
I upgraded one TiVo HD using (as I recall) the older WinMFS method. You should get a reply from someone with more TiVo HD upgrade experience. I doubt that just doing everything again using a WD Green drive will make much difference. For the record, you are in the TiVo Premiere area; it might be better to post something in the Series3 area.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
billbillw

I would take your drives out and test them on a PC using Western Digital tools. Use WD's boot disk so that your PC doesn't try to mount the disks. If it finds errors, you might be able to fix the errors by writing zeros to the entire disk, then reload your WinMFS backup. If they can't be fixed, just get some new 1TB drives. They are going cheap these days. I would probably spend a little more and get the AV-GP disk vs the standard Green Power discs. The AV-GP are tailored for DVRs.

Yes, you will get much more help in the S3 section.
billbillw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
drhoads

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillw View Post
I would take your drives out and test them on a PC using Western Digital tools. Use WD's boot disk so that your PC doesn't try to mount the disks. If it finds errors, you might be able to fix the errors by writing zeros to the entire disk, then reload your WinMFS backup. If they can't be fixed, just get some new 1TB drives. They are going cheap these days. I would probably spend a little more and get the AV-GP disk vs the standard Green Power discs. The AV-GP are tailored for DVRs.

Yes, you will get much more help in the S3 section.
Thanks for the tip!