TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
True Blood 8/18/13 "Radioactive" ** Spoilers **

Well I'm glad that's over.

I can't believe Eric was only in 30 seconds of the finale. This episode could have been 30 minutes long and still seemed boring. The entire second half after they killed Warlow was useless, other than the last 10 seconds to setup the next season premiere.

Disappointing conclusion to what was surprisingly a decent season.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Test

You're right, that last half was dreadful. After each scene, I thought...THAT WAS IT? I could have fast forwarded.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

I can't believe they (seemingly) killed Eric so casually. Is Skarsgård not coming back? I guess at six seasons they're reaching the point where initial TV contracts start to end...
Old 08-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

everything following "six months later" felt to me like a convenient way to clean up plot lines from what had been heading into the series finale, and laying the ground work for more stories leading into next season.

in any case, this season was mostly enjoyable for me, i'm looking forward to next season, and i'm not completely conviced that eric is dead. i'm thinking he might just be in the middle of contract negotiations. and bill is back to normal, ready to pursue sookie again (once alcide is out of the way).

it tickled me that arlene used the insurance money for her own place, but i guess i should have seen that one coming.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
everything following "six months later" felt to me like a convenient way to clean up plot lines from what had been heading into the series finale, and laying the ground work for more stories leading into next season.
I wonder how much of that was retro-fitting to an original plan made before they shortened the season for Paquin's pregnancy? Last week seemed a little abrupt to me as well. Maybe they had the whole season written already, and just collapsed the last few episodes into these two?
Old 08-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #6
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I wonder how much of that was retro-fitting to an original plan made before they shortened the season for Paquin's pregnancy? Last week seemed a little abrupt to me as well. Maybe they had the whole season written already, and just collapsed the last few episodes into these two?
i think you're right. it was so much more enjoyable watching the story move, as opposed to previous seasons dragging out, i wasn't going to question the faster pace - didn't want to jinx it!

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 08-19-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
astrohip
Stuart F

I thought this season was a little better than the previous few. Having said that, I was disappointed in the finale. I thought the Warlow story was abruptly ended, with the reappearance of Grandpa just a little too convenient.

The vamps dancing in the sunlight was just a little too campy for me. As I read on some review site, it looked like a J Crew commercial.

Also find it hard to believe Eric is gone as simply as *poof*. Although he was burning up as we faded away. There seemed little doubt that in the next few seconds he would be consumed. But I guess they can tweak the edit next year if they do bring him back. But six years as one of the main characters and he gets 1/100 the dirge time of Terry?

The entire Six Months Later concept stunk. It (IMHO) put a stink on the end of what had been a very strong season. Not only did I not like hardly anything they showed us (Mayor Sam? Alcide & Sookie? Author Bill?), just the way they did it seemed like a cheat.

I'd rate this season a strong B+, with the finale garnering a B-/C+.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

No way Eric is dead like that. My prediction is he'll bury himself in the snow and survive until Pam finds him.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
No way Eric is dead like that. My prediction is he'll bury himself in the snow and survive until Pam finds him.
He was also just a few feet away from shade.

Here's something that bugged me.... something like two seasons ago, Eric glamored Alcide into not being romantically interested in Sookie, as well as into becoming physically ill from intimacy with her. Did that just wear off or something? Or did the writers just forget?

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I thought this season was a little better than the previous few. Having said that, I was disappointed in the finale. I thought the Warlow story was abruptly ended, with the reappearance of Grandpa just a little too convenient.

. . .

I'd rate this season a strong B+, with the finale garnering a B-/C+.
I also enjoyed this season but was strongly disappointed in the season finale. Grandpa coming out of nowhere suddenly to save Sookie was too Deus Ex Machina for me!

I would rate the season as an A-, but the finale was a D bordering on an F!!!

Gerry
Gerryex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
john4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Here's something that bugged me.... something like two seasons ago, Eric glamored Alcide into not being romantically interested in Sookie, as well as into becoming physically ill from intimacy with her. Did that just wear off or something? Or did the writers just forget?
I vaguely remember a scene where Sookie used her powers to heal Alcide of that.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
cheesesteak
Meh.

Wow, the second half of that episode stank worse than the line of horse drawn carriages I walked past today.

I thought Hep V quickly killed vampires not just infect them.

Are the Hep V vampires going to be True Blood's equivalent to the Walking Dead zombies?

Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #13
SoupMan

Wasn't there some mention of Hep V "mutating" into different strains or something? I figured that's what they used to get past the original story that it kills quickly.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #14
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupMan View Post
Wasn't there some mention of Hep V "mutating" into different strains or something? I figured that's what they used to get past the original story that it kills quickly.
Yeah, although I think that only cropped up this week. The new strain apparently creates the Zompires (with apologies to Buffy).

Another example of order-cut compression, I suspect.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:03 AM   #15
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Zompires
Better than Vampbies.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
cheesesteak
Meh.

Sookie and Alcide. The two least interesting main characters on the show.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #17
Test

What was up with the little girl in the church? That was weird.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #18
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

The scene between Tara and her mother was very creepy.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #19
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman View Post
The scene between Tara and her mother was very creepy.
If Hep V is really just mutating vampires now, I would guess that her mother is a carrier and now Tara will be sick.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
cheesesteak
Meh.

Tara feeding off her mother gave me the skeevies.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:51 PM   #21
Azlen

Here's an interview the showrunner Brian Buckner did with TV line. It answers a number of questions so don't click if you don't want to be spoiled.

http://tvline.com/2013/08/20/alexand...ic-death-nude/
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #22
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azlen View Post
Here's an interview the showrunner Brian Buckner did with TV line. It answers a number of questions so don't click if you don't want to be spoiled.

http://tvline.com/2013/08/20/alexand...ic-death-nude/
Not just spoilers. SPOILERS!

I was surprised how many issues he addressed. He outright answered several MAJOR items that fans would have been debating until next season started.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #23
mrdazzo7

Meh. I liked a lot of the season - it seemed like a natural progression for a show that started with the concept of vampires mainstreaming into society to explore what would happen if humans suddenly turned on them. The prison, the tests, the laws, all interesting obstacles, etc. The Sookie/Warlow thing made me suicidal, mostly because the "love octagon" aspect of the show has always been my least favorite part (which might be mostly driven by me being a guy). I don't care who Sookie dates, and watching all of these characters pine over each other does nothing for me. So the amount of time spent on that didn't help.

But a lot of the other stuff was ok. They always find interesting ways to weave stories/characters together, which is what I like about the show. I was wondering why the season was only 10 episodes AND seemed rushed but the explanation above makes sense - it definitely showed in the episode that they had to end quicker than they had planned.

I'll wait to see how next season plays out before I judge this episode -if they stuff they set up is interesting enough, then it's all good. I think the idea of humans accepting vampires, then turning on them, then joining forces with them against a new, worse threat is a cool idea. Tara's mother definitely just infected her (she needs a storyline after all)... Gotta feel bad for Arlene, seeing as how her new place is about to get jacked the hell up by Zompires.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #24
Azlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
Tara's mother definitely just infected her (she needs a storyline after all)...

That question was actually answered in the interview I posted above. Here's what he said about that.

Spoiler:
I will put to bed one thing for you: this idea that Lettie Mae is trying to poison Tara? It’s absurd. That is genuine. And I realize that on our show, because it’s been so incredibly plot-driven for the past several years, you insert a Big Bad and then have the characters react in the way we expect them to react. That’s sort of what’s been going on. When we let characters change, when we let the show be character-driven, I think people don’t know what to do with that. So with Lettie Mae and Tara, not to say that everything is going to go great, but the conflict is not going to be she’s poisoning Tara.

Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #25
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

The grandfather's appearance wasn't entirely out of left field. There was a known portal in the bathroom there from wherever Warlow was before and where he put Sookie's grandfather.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
LlamaLarry

Why is Jason's vampire holding him off for 6+ months? Is this the longest relationship Jason has had?
LlamaLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #27
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlamaLarry View Post
Why is Jason's vampire holding him off for 6+ months? Is this the longest relationship Jason has had?
It's certainly the longest relationship he hasn't had.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #28
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It's certainly the longest relationship he hasn't had.
and the longest he's ever been without any!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #29
cheesesteak
Meh.

Tara's greeting to her mother made me chuckle: "The f*** you want?"

Old 08-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #30
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Pam is only 100 years old right? How can she fly? We haven't seen her fly before have we?

Or was that some extra power from the Billith blood?

I'm expecting for Pam to save Eric before he finally burns up.
Queue is offline   Reply With Quote