TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
eaglestvo

Uncutting the cord

Twenty six months ago I was so fed up with the high price of cable that I cut the cord and went with OTA. I saw about $150 drop on my Verizon bill, which also includes Fios phone, Fios Internet, and Verizon wireless. I installed a roof top antenna/amp and a Tivo Premiere. Despite all the bad reports on this forum about Tivo and OTA, I can say Tivo and OTA work very well. We get all the Washington and Baltimore channels here in northern Virginia. I was very content with the free TV service at our house on 5 TVs with 1 Tivo.

I was constantly getting sales calls from Verizon trying to sell me Fios TV, and I often listened for price quotes which were all lower than my previous cost but still in the $100+ range. Last week I got a call and was interested, so I got the pricing for adding Fios to a single TV for $15 more than my current package of internet and phone for a total of $116 for all Fios services. That covers 75mb internet, phone with free long distance, extra line for fax, the Fios Prime HD package, and a cable card, and all taxes and surcharges. Plus I get a $250 prepaid Visa card. So I figured that refusing the offer was just being stubborn, and it really is not worth carrying the cord cutter flag for a measly $15/month. I think that lots of incentives were thrown in because my 2 year fios contract recently expired. I am getting a new line installed so it does not interfere with the OTA signal on the other TVs. I really only want a few channels back, and the $15/month is worth it. I still refuse to take a cable box, so I am glad I have the Tivo to use which will serve cable and OTA channels.

Prior to the Fios install, should I run Guided Setup for Cable/OTA without actually having the cable card? Would that save time when the installer is at the house, or do I need to wait until the cable card is in the box? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
eaglestvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
shamilian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglestvo View Post

Prior to the Fios install, should I run Guided Setup for Cable/OTA without actually having the cable card? Would that save time when the installer is at the house, or do I need to wait until the cable card is in the box? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Yes, run the guided setup. It takes a long time to complete, so it is better to have the downloads done. After running the guided setup, force at least 2 tivo connections this should download all the fios channel info.

When he comes just install the cablecard, he will have to pair the card which should only take 10 minutes if he knows what he is doing.
shamilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
eaglestvo

Okay, that makes sense. So the guided setup will add all the channels and guide info for Fios DC to the Tivo in advance. And then the Fios and cable card installation will make the channels accessible.

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
Arcady
Stargate Fan

It will ask you to insert the CableCard during setup. There should be an option on the Premiere for "I will install it later" or something to that effect.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
JoeKustra
Cable only

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglestvo View Post
Okay, that makes sense. So the guided setup will add all the channels and guide info for Fios DC to the Tivo in advance. And then the Fios and cable card installation will make the channels accessible.

Thanks!
That may be true for FiOS. For regular cable the cable card supplies the channels and the internet supplies the listings for those channels. Follow the previous advice, but you may find the channel numbers change. I also had to perform a channel scan after the card was installed, but that may be a wired issue.
JoeKustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
L David Matheny

Make sure the installer doesn't vandalize your antenna connection. In your case, you may have made it abundantly clear that you will still be using OTA also, but sometimes cable installers cut antenna feeds to make it difficult for people to go back to using an antenna. They might even offer to take that ugly old antenna down for you, for the same self-serving reason of course.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #7
eaglestvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
That may be true for FiOS. For regular cable the cable card supplies the channels and the internet supplies the listings for those channels. Follow the previous advice, but you may find the channel numbers change. I also had to perform a channel scan after the card was installed, but that may be a wired issue.
I was thinking that just as a good measure, I would re-scan after the cable card installation. But the advance guided setup would at least get me to a testing point much faster.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
eaglestvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
Make sure the installer doesn't vandalize your antenna connection. In your case, you may have made it abundantly clear that you will still be using OTA also, but sometimes cable installers cut antenna feeds to make it difficult for people to go back to using an antenna. They might even offer to take that ugly old antenna down for you, for the same self-serving reason of course.
Believe me .... the thought has crossed my mind!! This is an install that I would not go away and leave my wife in charge.

I am having a separate line brought in to the specific TV to avoid conflicts with the existing home coax.