TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-26-2014, 06:12 AM   #9961
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Just keep in mind that WD has updated the version of wdidle3.exe, as well as just (very) recently updating Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, as it does so, more often than you'd expect.

I'm wondering if the possibility of having outdated versions just might be linked to the number of reports I've seen of drive failing immediately, upon beginning a test. Some of the changes have been about removing components of each test (like testing the cable as the first step, invisible to the user), then adding that test back in, after fixing the issue that test had. Each test does more than what the name implies.

The changelogs for DLG/WinDLG show it's not all about updating for newer, or larger drives. There's a lot of things going on. I'd never consider running an old version, unless I had no internet access.

What are the odds that any Ultimate Super whatever CD has a version of something released ~a month ago? Those CDs have been great for me. But, when it comes to the software being current, not so great, and sometimes has been a problem.

The way I see it, is that if somebody can take the time to download the UBCD, and burn an ISO for it, they can (and should) take the time to check the versions.

Unfortunately, WD has cracked down. They no longer allow you to download drive tools/utilities, unless you have a drive registered to you, that the tool is meant for. This is a problem, with wdidle3.exe, since I've never owned, or registered the drives, that tool was made to be used on (which is a short list of drives, nobody would ever use in a TiVo). Thus, I can't download it again, should it have an updated version released.

I can truthfully say that I've experienced problems, using older versions, which were resolved by newer versions.

I tested an EURX with whatever version of the WD diagnostic is on a UBCD from a year or so ago, and I don't think I had any problems with incomptibility.

But I've got an EZRX (for non-TiVo use) I bought recently and haven't unwrapped yet, and I think I'll learn from your experiences and go the registration route before long-testing it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #9962
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Depending on the hardware involved, a USB3 port might not work unless the OS loads the driver for it, and the OS that runs the diagnostics might not have the driver.
True, which has been a problem with many UBCD-type distros (not sure of the current state of all of them). Any chance you might prod the slackers to get the drivers updated? I think even JMFS is limited to USB 2.0, IIRC. I've seen reports, and some evidence, that USB 2.0 devices plugged into USB 3.0 host ports can get a slight boost. This still requires the drivers for the host controller chipset, though.

Another way to do it would be to use any version of Windows with USB 3.0 support, and DVRBARS, which runs within windows, or HDD Raw Copy Tool, which does as well.

If I had known what hummingbird_206 was going to do, I'd have tried to come up with the fastest way to get from drive A to drive B.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:07 AM   #9963
hummingbird_206

Finished copying, yay! Now have the message up that there is extra capacity on the drive, do I want to expand. Do I answer no?
hummingbird_206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:13 AM   #9964
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingbird_206 View Post
Finished copying, yay! Now have the message up that there is extra capacity on the drive, do I want to expand. Do I answer no?
If the drives are the same size, answer no. If you have any doubts, say no. You can always do that step later, if need be.

Next step: Put it in TiVo and see what happens. If the capacity is off, then you can revisit if there is any more to be done to the drive.

Good luck!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #9965
hummingbird_206

Drives are the same size, so answered No. Thanks!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #9966
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Drives are the same size, so answered No. Thanks!
For the record, IIRC, the "expand? y/n" prompt appears regardless of if there is any extra space, every time. But, in the cases where it is known there is extra space (like a larger drive), the correct answer is still no, and you want to do it as a separate step, or it likely won't work anyway (due to some glitch).

I can't recall any "bad things" that might happen by answering yes, in either case. But, here's unitron's chance to "school me" if I got any of this wrong.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #9967
hummingbird_206

The new drive appears to have fixed the pixelation issue. And I'm at 318 hours of capacity. Yippee! Thanks to everyone for the help.

Now though with the new drive, when I push the TiVo button to go the menus, the menu comes up, but the current TV show stays up playing in the background. Never seen that before! Is this a new feature, or did I screw something up, or huh? Anyone got any ideas? I'm off to google, but thought I'd ask here, too.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:12 AM   #9968
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
The new drive appears to have fixed the pixelation issue. And I'm at 318 hours of capacity. Yippee! Thanks to everyone for the help.

Now though with the new drive, when I push the TiVo button to go the menus, the menu comes up, but the current TV show stays up playing in the background. Never seen that before! Is this a new feature, or did I screw something up, or huh? Anyone got any ideas? I'm off to google, but thought I'd ask here, too.
Highly edited/extended post from original post:

No, it's not a new (or previously undiscovered) feature, if it's as I'm picturing what you say. Is it something you could describe better, and/or provide a picture of happening? It should work the way it did before the issues started. No new functions/features should magically happen.

I suggest doing a KS52, see what happens, then do KS 57 if not resolved, then try KS58 if not resolved.

KS52 is the "least likely to brick" kickstart, which re-installs the current software to the alternate partition, and switches it active, after doing a battery of cleanups and integrity tests, designed to function as they would when an update is released, and TiVo doesn't want update-bricked units.

Other things to try: Reboot with Clear Program Information & To Do List, Reboot with C&DE, etc, all the way up to starting over with a new image.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-26-2014 at 09:22 AM. Reason: see post
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:23 AM   #9969
hummingbird_206

Here's the screenshot. I was watching ESPN and when I pushed the TiVo button, the menu came up while the show continued to play, including audio.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (90.8 KB, 105 views)
Old 08-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #9970
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Here's the screenshot. I was watching ESPN and when I pushed the TiVo button, the menu came up while the show continued to play, including audio.
Very neat! Still, not right, shouldn't happen. See my edits to my prior post, if you want to attempt to get back to "proper operation", which would be good for insuring proper future operation, and less issues creeping in.

I kind of wish what yours is doing was a TiVo function that we could toggle.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #9971
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Very neat! Still, not right, shouldn't happen. See my edits to my prior post, if you want to attempt to get back to "proper operation", which would be good for insuring proper future operation, and less issues creeping in.

I kind of wish what yours is doing was a TiVo function that we could toggle.
Yeah, I do kind of like it, but it can be hard to actually read the menus. But I figured something wasn't right. I'll try the KS's you reference above later today and report back.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #9972
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yeah, I do kind of like it, but it can be hard to actually read the menus. But I figured something wasn't right. I'll try the KS's you reference above later today and report back.
Do you have audio in this situation? If not, then IIRC this is caused by a missing or corrupt background graphic file.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:10 AM   #9973
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Do you have audio in this situation? If not, then IIRC this is caused by a missing or corrupt background graphic file.
Yes, still have audio.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #9974
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Highly edited/extended post from original post:

No, it's not a new (or previously undiscovered) feature, if it's as I'm picturing what you say. Is it something you could describe better, and/or provide a picture of happening? It should work the way it did before the issues started. No new functions/features should magically happen.

I suggest doing a KS52, see what happens, then do KS 57 if not resolved, then try KS58 if not resolved.

KS52 is the "least likely to brick" kickstart, which re-installs the current software to the alternate partition, and switches it active, after doing a battery of cleanups and integrity tests, designed to function as they would when an update is released, and TiVo doesn't want update-bricked units.

Other things to try: Reboot with Clear Program Information & To Do List, Reboot with C&DE, etc, all the way up to starting over with a new image.
KS52 ran, no difference.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #9975
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yes, still have audio.
Is it just TiVo Central that is transparent?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #9976
hummingbird_206

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Is it just TiVo Central that is transparent?
It's everything that displays when the TiVo button is pressed, TiVo Central, Now Playing, Messages and Settings, everything. Live TV and Recordings are working fine though.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:06 PM   #9977
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
KS52 ran, no difference.
Even if you completed all the other kickstarts and actions I listed, and one of them fixed it, how much would you trust that nothing else is wrong?

Is it worth always wondering if every future glitch is somehow related, or that fear that your new drive might have a problem already (in the future)?

I'm going to say the best thing you could do for yourself, is to start-over, building a new image on your drive, using a backup image of another S3 to image the drive.

DVRBARS runs within Windows, and the author (ggieseke) likely has a known-good image you could start with. PM him with your TCD model number, and details of your use for the image. Unless he (or somebody else) has done all the work, and made a backup of a S3 already upgraded to 2TB, You'll only use DVRBARS for getting the stock image to the 2TB drive, and you'll have to do the remaining work with other tools/utilities known to work for S3, to do the expanding & supersizing.

DVRBARS modified/truncated backups can fit on a DVD or thumb-drive, and the writing to the drive as fast as the slowest link to the drive, or the drive itself.

telemark is the guy who made the 4TB image for Roamios, and made it available free, is currently one of the most valuable assets here, for the newer TiVos. He could probably walk you through anything, if you know linux (he's not a Windows guy, unlike ggieseke).

Me... Well, being how long it has been since I used WinMFS, MFSLive, or even JMFS, my memory is starting to fail. There are differences between the TiVo HD, like I used to own, and the S3, as you are already aware of. I'm also a Windows guy, often having to relearn non-windows syntax for linux tools/utilities.

I think it's best I back-off, and stick to answering questions that I know the answer to, without any doubts. So, that means me not giving advice on more than getting a good image to work with and applying it to the drive. I'm not up to trying to walk you through a S3 expansion. I likely recall less than you do about what makes them different from a TiVo HD.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #9978
hummingbird_206

Thanks nooneuknow. I have the original drive, so could use that for the image. You make good points about things maybe going south in the future. But I'm pretty lazy so I'm going to leave the drive as is for now and see what happens.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #9979
unitron

Quote:
For the record, IIRC, the "expand? y/n" prompt appears regardless of if there is any extra space, every time. But, in the cases where it is known there is extra space (like a larger drive), the correct answer is still no, and you want to do it as a separate step, or it likely won't work anyway (due to some glitch).

I can't recall any "bad things" that might happen by answering yes, in either case. But, here's unitron's chance to "school me" if I got any of this wrong.
The bad thing that might happen if you don't expand later as a separate step is that the TiVo might not recognize the drive as a TiVo drive and you have to do the restore or copy all over again.

I guess there's something it needs to write to the drive to "finalize" things, and doing the expansion as part of the copy or restore process sometimes screws that up somehow for some reason.

I don't begin to claim to understand it, but I seem to have figured out how to avoid it.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:49 AM   #9980
unitron

I have had the "transparent overlay, audio not muted" happen before on S2s, and it was a temporary thing.

Wish I could toggle it, so I could see what I wanted to and still hear the audio and sort of see the video.