TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #31
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post

In that case, just replace WU with a shirtless Ryan Reynolds.

It's a cute routine (if he was a toddler) but not very funny. It takes the "mock news" out of the whole segment. WU should learn from The Onion. Keep him as a writer, get him away from the camera. He stinks.
Weekend Update never was meant to be a true fake news show. It was always over the top. Not meant to be "serious" like the Onion which presents fake news straight. More like Jon Stewart who laughs through the news.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #32
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
Weekend Update never was meant to be a true fake news show. It was always over the top. Not meant to be "serious" like the Onion which presents fake news straight. More like Jon Stewart who laughs through the news.
With Stewart it's a bit different. He's communicating directly with his audience on a personal level rather than trying to impersonate an established anchor. Though he has a news desk and news-like segments, it's a completely different routine. [His material is better too.]

The only anchor that did a smarmy smirk in a way that was humorous was Norm Macdonald. He conveyed to the audience that he didn't care and was intentionally doing it as casually and carelessly as possible. That was part of his schtick. With Seth, it's off-putting.

Colin Quinn, for me, was the worst of all time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #33
Big Deficit
Happy now?

One of the weakest episodes in a long time. The only thing I found remotely funny was the Z shirt spot. The whole show appeared to be "off". The "musical" guests make a big play for being in the top 10 all time worst list on the show. It is nice to see Vanilla Ice can still find work, although it appears he can't afford socks.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #34
Jstkiddn
Fruit Loop Dingus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Deficit View Post
It is nice to see Vanilla Ice can still find work, although it appears he can't afford socks.
The thrift shop was out of socks that day.
Jstkiddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #35
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
With Stewart it's a bit different. He's communicating directly with his audience on a personal level rather than trying to impersonate an established anchor. Though he has a news desk and news-like segments, it's a completely different routine. [His material is better too.]

The only anchor that did a smarmy smirk in a way that was humorous was Norm Macdonald. He conveyed to the audience that he didn't care and was intentionally doing it as casually and carelessly as possible. That was part of his schtick. With Seth, it's off-putting.

Colin Quinn, for me, was the worst of all time.
Totally disagree. Seth is talking to the audience. Macdonald talked above the audience. The smile/smirk are completely different. And he was the worst for me. Colin Quinn, I didn't mind.

Still say that there is little difference (other than the quality of the material and the fact that the Daily Show does longer segments) between the approach of Jon Stewart and Seth Meyers.

But I am done. You don't like him. Most people do. Including me.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #36
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

I never understood Colin Quinn on SNL at all, much less on WU. He was kind of like a drunk uncle, but one that wasn't very good at acting, speaking, or being funny. But he's gone now, and good riddance.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #37
mattack

Seth and his brother on Fallon are always amusing, since they are quizzed about various aspects about their family/growing up/brother relationship, and usually something embarrassing comes up.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #38
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

I deleted it after watching through WU. I had no desire to finish it.