TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
phydeauxman

Buggy Season Pass Options?

I am switching from DirecTV to Comcast and TiVo. One thing I have noticed is that the options for setting season passes do not seem to work well. On most shows, I only want to record New episodes and not reruns. This works fantastic on DirecTV's DRVs but not so much on TiVo's. I have read through several threads on here related to specific shows but just curious why TiVo has such a tough time with this when DirecTV seems to have it nailed?
phydeauxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
Jonathan_S

Probably because they use different criteria for what's considered 'New'.
TiVo has two things, designed to minimize the chance of missing an episode that can sometimes cause unwanted additional recordings.

The first mechanism is the "28 day rule".
A show is 'new' if it airs no more than 28 days after the original air date (OAD) listed in it's guide data; unless it was
1) already recorded;
2) another airing is currently scheduled to record; or
3) you've manually canceled a scheduled recording
(And of those make the additional episode "Duplicates" which aren't considered new)

This is designed to catch a repeat of any episode that couldn't be recorded in the first timeslot it aired in. (For example you had a conflict at 9pm, but the channel airs an encore episode at 11, or on Saturday, so the TiVo will grab the episode then).

This normally works well enough, because of treating additonal episodes as Duplicates. But this mechanism does cause issues for a brand new TiVo because it doesn't have any way to know that you watched last week's episode on some other device. So it'll attempt to record episodes that originally aired up to about a month ago because they're 'new' to it.

The second mechanism is to 'fail safe' when there isn't enough guide data to be sure that the episode isn't new. The visible manifestation of partial guide data is usually a generic description for the episode; one that describes the whole series. But what's actually missing is some of the "hidden" guide data like the episode ID. In cases where the TiVo isn't positive that the episode is old it'll record it anyway; personally I wish it didn't or that it was a configurable option.

Fortunately except for a few chronic offenders (like comedy central's "The Daily Show") generic guide data is fairly rare; and those specific offenders can be worked around with a custom auto-recording wishlist that explicitly avoids recording episodes with the generic description.

For a new TiVo I'm guessing that you're mostly seeing the first mechanism; so the good news is that it'll calm down in a month as the episodes you watched before buying the TiVo age out.

Last edited by Jonathan_S : 02-06-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
phydeauxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
Probably because they use different criteria for what's considered 'New'.
TiVo has two things, designed to minimize the chance of missing an episode that can sometimes cause unwanted additional recordings.

The first mechanism is the "28 day rule".
A show is 'new' if it airs no more than 28 days after the original air date (OAD) listed in it's guide data; unless it was
1) already recorded;
2) another airing is currently scheduled to record; or
3) you've manually canceled a scheduled recording
(And of those make the additional episode "Duplicates" which aren't considered new)

This is designed to catch a repeat of any episode that couldn't be recorded in the first timeslot it aired in. (For example you had a conflict at 9pm, but the channel airs an encore episode at 11, or on Saturday, so the TiVo will grab the episode then).

This normally works well enough, because of treating additonal episodes as Duplicates. But this mechanism does cause issues for a brand new TiVo because it doesn't have any way to know that you watched last week's episode on some other device. So it'll attempt to record episodes that originally aired up to about a month ago because they're 'new' to it.

The second mechanism is to 'fail safe' when there isn't enough guide data to be sure that the episode isn't new. The visible manifestation of partial guide data is usually a generic description for the episode; one that describes the whole series. But what's actually missing is some of the "hidden" guide data like the episode ID. In cases where the TiVo isn't positive that the episode is old it'll record it anyway; personally I wish it didn't or that it was a configurable option.

Fortunately except for a few chronic offenders (like comedy central's "The Daily Show") generic guide data is fairly rare; and those specific offenders can be worked around with a custom auto-recording wishlist that explicitly avoids recording episodes with the generic description.

For a new TiVo I'm guessing that you're mostly seeing the first mechanism; so the good news is that it'll calm down in a month as the episodes you watched before buying the TiVo age out.
Thanks for taking the time to provide such great detail. This makes sense. Only question I have now is...if I watch a show that recorded as part of a season pass and then delete it...does TiVo know that I once had the recording and the deleted so that I won't record it again?
Old 02-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
jrtroo
User

The rule rules.

So, you can end up with tivo recording something previously recorded a year ago, watched, and deleted. Better to capture this in an abundance of caution.

The worse case of this happening is in a marathon situation, where it is easy to delete once completed.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydeauxman View Post
Thanks for taking the time to provide such great detail. This makes sense. Only question I have now is...if I watch a show that recorded as part of a season pass and then delete it...does TiVo know that I once had the recording and the deleted so that I won't record it again?
No problem.

In the situation you mention the TiVo will remember that you'd recorded (and deleted) the recording for 28 days (there's that number again) from the time you deleted it. (I'm pretty sure it's from date of deletion, not date of recording; but I'm not 100% possitive)

Whether the TiVo would record it again would depend on your season pass setting. There are 3 options:
1) New only - The TiVo wouldn't record it again because it would remember it had been recorded for long enough that additional airings would no longer be considered new
2) New and repeats - The TiVo might record it again, but not for 28 days from when you deleted it.
3) All (with duplicates) - The TiVo will record it again whenever it's on; even if you watched it yesterday. You explicitely told the TiVo you wanted all the duplicate airings recorded
Old 02-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
phydeauxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
No problem.

In the situation you mention the TiVo will remember that you'd recorded (and deleted) the recording for 28 days (there's that number again) from the time you deleted it. (I'm pretty sure it's from date of deletion, not date of recording; but I'm not 100% possitive)

Whether the TiVo would record it again would depend on your season pass setting. There are 3 options:
1) New only - The TiVo wouldn't record it again because it would remember it had been recorded for long enough that additional airings would no longer be considered new
2) New and repeats - The TiVo might record it again, but not for 28 days from when you deleted it.
3) All (with duplicates) - The TiVo will record it again whenever it's on; even if you watched it yesterday. You explicitely told the TiVo you wanted all the duplicate airings recorded
Great...thanks again for the info.