TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 95 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:14 AM   #2191
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
How were you able to prove that to them? I'm also a first gen Phillips TiVo client but they always say that they can't see anything in their system before 2003 (IIRC) due to when they switched their servers over and did the whole "grandfathering" in of service and all. I remember transferring my gen 1 unit's lifetime over to a TiVo HD, but it still didn't flag me as a customer from the beginning in their new system for some reason.
We did the lifetime transfer from our 2 S1's to the original S3 OLED's in December 2006/January 2007 and the S3's inherited the activation dates of the S1's (6/18/2000 and 5/8/2002). The S1's got brand new activation dates since they got a year of free service as part of the deal.

Your HD doesn't show the original activation date of the S1?

Scott

4. S1 Phillips - 120GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
  5. S1 Sony - 30GB - Lifetime transferred to S3
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #2192
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
here is the drive I was considering:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822149569
Apparently nobody else has clicked on this link, or there would be alarms blaring, and flashing red lights, from all informed members involved here.

Here's the tried, tested, and most recommended hard drive product line you could buy (and the drive TiVo uses most, the WD AV Green EURX):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236602

Ignore the Newegg clickbait link, claiming there is a "newer version" available. It's NOT true. If you don't want to take my word for it, ask WD directly, and also ask if WD Purple PURX use in a TiVo is supported, so you can hear it from WD, that it is not (even though they "work").

TiVo sometimes uses a Seagate line of "green" (low power requirement) 5900RPM AV drives, with similar characteristics. But, they are almost never on sale, and tend to cost a lot more than WD drives (and use more power, which is not in unlimited supply in a TiVo).

This will be the only post I make, and will not reply to further questions, as this thread is meant for discussing deals on Roamios, not hard drive questions, support, or other drive discussion (beyond the scope of the end costs, if you buy a Roamio, then upgrade the drive capacity).

My time/focus needs to be elsewhere. PMs welcomed, but responses not guaranteed. In need of a miracle.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:01 AM   #2193
master_yoda13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
I guess you didn't actually read my post?
Hi all, newby here. Thinking of getting a Tivo and interested in the $0 refurbished deal. I'm very much interested in the annual subscription service package, so can somebody confirm again I can still switch to that with the refurbished deal?

master_yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #2194
foghorn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_yoda13 View Post
Hi all, newby here. Thinking of getting a Tivo and interested in the $0 refurbished deal. I'm very much interested in the annual subscription service package, so can somebody confirm again I can still switch to that with the refurbished deal?
Worked for me last month. Great deal! And the refurb works as good as the one I got from frys. Like New!

Ended up with one new, one refurb, 2 original mini's and 1 V2 mini all perfect. No flaws whatsoever with Cox cable cards and tuning adapters.

Works better than my prev Hopper/Joey system.

foghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #2195
master_yoda13

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post
Worked for me last month. Great deal! And the refurb works as good as the one I got from frys. Like New!

Ended up with one new, one refurb, 2 original mini's and 1 V2 mini all perfect. No flaws whatsoever with Cox cable cards and tuning adapters.

Works better than my prev Hopper/Joey system.
Cool, thank you! I'm a current dish customer, so I'm very familiar with Hopper/Joey system, glad to hear that Tivo is better. What kind of MOCA adapter did you end up getting or did you get Tivo Plus/Pro?

master_yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #2196
foghorn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_yoda13 View Post
Cool, thank you! I'm a current dish customer, so I'm very familiar with Hopper/Joey system, glad to hear that Tivo is better. What kind of MOCA adapter did you end up getting or did you get Tivo Plus/Pro?
I got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CZ6WC3A/

My two ethernet Basic Roamios go to this in the garage (which has one ethernet port internet enabled), a coax from this device goes to a three way splitter to 3 Tivo Minis. Perfect replacements to the crippled OTA guide Hopper/Joey system.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:02 PM   #2197
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post
Any particular reason to go that route rather than for the MoCA adapters that TiVo itself sells (at a seemingly good price)?

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #2198
foghorn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
Any particular reason to go that route rather than for the MoCA adapters that TiVo itself sells (at a seemingly good price)?
Yes-

It stands upright (perfect in my leviton wiring panel in garage)
Has 4 Giga Ethernet ports, the regular adapters have 1 10/100 port only
(future proof)

The cheaper one is just fine, but this one is better fitted for my setup.

Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-16-2015, 10:40 AM   #2199
Mikeguy

Thanks--I thought that the 4 ports was a nice addition.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #2200
foghorn2

Quote:
Thanks--I thought that the 4 ports was a nice addition.
Exactly, In my case my Roamios are connected to this via ethernet in the garage, thats 2 ports, one port goes to another switch in the garage feeding it internet/lan, and the coax to a 3 way splitter to 3 mini's. I have one giga port open for another device if needed. The Roamios really do not need a gigabit connection, but it does not hurt either.

The coax connections to the Roamios are exclusively OTA or Cable.

I directed Tivo video traffic way from the main switch and allowed me to use moca for the 3 Minis. Perfect!

One could also use this to allow a Roamio to use moca and at the same time feed internet/lan to 3 other devices in the vicinity, max rate 270Mbps vs 100Mbps (Gigabit between devices connected to its built in switch) with this device vs. the cheaper one.

Last edited by foghorn2; 04-16-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #2201
desertdwelleraz

Yesterday I called Tivo Sales to get the loyalty deal. I have been with Tivo since 2006 sometime, so just shy of 10 years, and my first box was the DT Series 2. I asked for the "loyalty deal" versus asking for the "10 year deal" since I wouldn't quite qualify for it. CSR looked at my account and saw the Series 2 and told me that since I had a Series 2 in the past I qualified for the $99 lifetime on a new Roamio at full price. I went with the Pro for $599, lifetime for $99. I tried asking for the Slide Pro remote as well, and he did not want to budge. I told him I would buy the 3 year warranty ($39.99) if he would throw in the Slide Pro remote ($49.99) for free, and he went for it. So I guess that was a decent deal. Totalled out to about $770 for Roamio Pro with Lifetime, 3 yr warranty and Slide Pro with tax and shipping. I will take it! I have been wanting to upgrade to the Roamio for a while and finally got wife approval, . I asked the CSR about the difference in speed between the Premiere XL4 and the Roamio, and he said it's like Dodge Dart vs Bentley. Hope he is right, but that seems like an exaggeration.

desertdwelleraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks For This Post:
Old 04-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #2202
Mikeguy

Clever negotiation, to tie the remote to the warranty purchase (and to avoid reference to the "10-year" deal)--good for you!

Old 04-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #2203
desertdwelleraz

Quote:
Clever negotiation, to tie the remote to the warranty purchase (and to avoid reference to the "10-year" deal)--good for you!
Interestingly enough, he did say "We used to call this the 10 year deal, but we have changed our marketing for it recently". So maybe the 10 years isn't the qualifier anymore, but something similar instead. In any case, I am just glad that I had it offered, and on the first try.

desertdwelleraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:48 PM   #2204
Mikeguy

Thanks for posting that the 10-year loyalty deal may no longer be just 10 years! Good for people to know (and try).

Old 04-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #2205
davezatz
Funkadelic

Roamio OTA & TiVo Stream, with no upfront hardware fees, for $20/mo and two year commitment:

https://www.tivo.com/aereo_ota_offer
Code: ZG0600BHQX

Not sure if that is a one time use code, or infinite.

davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #2206
NTIV10

For what it's worth, today I called and asked if I was eligible for a loyalty discount. I got a "renewed" Roamio Plus with product lifetime for $425, bought the 3 year extended warranty for $40, and got a slide remote thrown in free. My CSR was super friendly and very helpful.

Also I am not at 10 years yet. Nine and change.

Last edited by NTIV10; 04-21-2015 at 10:44 PM.
NTIV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:15 PM   #2207
Mikeguy

Great deal, there--congratulations!

Old 04-21-2015, 10:54 PM   #2208
tjtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTIV10 View Post
For what it's worth, today I called and asked if I was eligible for a loyalty discount. I got a "renewed" Roamio Plus with product lifetime for $425, bought the 3 year extended warranty for $40, and got a slide remote thrown in free. My CSR was super friendly and very helpful.

Also I am not at 10 years yet. Nine and change.
I'm a 6 year customer and called in today to ask for the "loyalty promo". Best she could offer was a renwed plus for $325 + $200 lifetime. So definitely not as good as your offer, and also not even as good as the normal "loyalty" promo.

$425 for a renewed plus with lifetime included sounds like an awesome deal.

tjtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #2209
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
Has there ever been a single reported case, anywhere, of someone being denied warranty coverage solely because they upgraded their internal drive?

And if so, why does TiVo make it so easy to upgrade the internal drive, with the auto-install software that runs off the bare metal hardware?
Yes. I was denied back in 2007 with a launch TiVoHD. I ended up putting the original drive back in and exchanging it at Circuit City.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:34 PM   #2210
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
And how many hundreds (if not thousands) of folks haven't had issues with warranty coverage after upgrading their internal drive (assuming they hold on to the original)... in the same 8 year span?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- a list of some favorite browser add-ons that help make TCF even more enjoyable!
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:51 PM   #2211
Kipp Jones
AVS Heavy Hitter

Picked up 2 refurb Roamio Plus units for $199 each, they threw in 2 keyboard remotes.

Kipp Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #2212
84lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtv View Post
I'm a 6 year customer and called in today to ask for the "loyalty promo". Best she could offer was a renwed plus for $325 + $200 lifetime. So definitely not as good as your offer, and also not even as good as the normal "loyalty" promo.

$425 for a renewed plus with lifetime included sounds like an awesome deal.
It does indeed. Tivo sent me a "loyal customer offer" for a renewed Tivo Roamio Plus with "service" (I assume lifetime service) for a $524 one time payment. The same deal for the Roamio Pro is $699, renewed with lifetime service.

84lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM   #2213
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
And how many hundreds (if not thousands) of folks haven't had issues with warranty coverage after upgrading their internal drive (assuming they hold on to the original)... in the same 8 year span?
That's the only time I've ever had an issue. And it wasn't a hardware problem, it was a software problem that occurred with analog channels. They wouldn't troubshoot it since they saw that I had replaced the hard drive. In the end I switched to FIOS which was all digital. Which solved the problem for me. Since the TiVo techs had no clue and couldn't understand the difference between a stereo signal and a mono signal with the analog channels.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote