Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #121
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosofy View Post
My theory is that, now that they are infected, they won't get sick from a bite. A simple bite not a death sentence anymore.
I disagree. The fact that they're all infected isn't new. It's always been the case since the beginning of the outbreak. We've seen people (like Andrea's sister) get bit, get sick, and die within less than 24 hours. There's no reason to think that still wouldn't have happened with Herschel and others.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #122
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I disagree. The fact that they're all infected isn't new. It's always been the case since the beginning of the outbreak. We've seen people (like Andrea's sister) get bit, get sick, and die within less than 24 hours. There's no reason to think that still wouldn't have happened with Herschel and others.
But, since Andrea's sister got bitten, we've seen people not bitten get resurrected. That's my theory, and I'm asking people who are farther ahead in the series, or read the graphic novels, to either confirm I'm right, wrong, or it hasn't been revealed. I'm just waiting for someone to get bitten, but not get sick and die.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:39 PM   #123
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
But, since Andrea's sister got bitten, we've seen people not bitten get resurrected. That's my theory, and I'm asking people who are farther ahead in the series, or read the graphic novels, to either confirm I'm right, wrong, or it hasn't been revealed. I'm just waiting for someone to get bitten, but not get sick and die.
That hasn't happened on the show. The only thing that's been stated unequivocally is that everybody is infected, and presumably has been since the outbreak began. We know that everybody who's been bitten onscreen (without getting devoured by zombies, or having the offending limb amputated tout suite) has died and turned, and we've seen no evidence whatsoever that this has changed. We also know that everybody who's died without being bitten (and without their head being destroyed) has also turned.

The comics have treated the matter somewhat differently, so this discussion doesn't really apply there.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #124
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
My prediction is that zombie bites aren't fatal if you're already infected. Am I right? You can answer in a spoiler.
No, the bites themselves are usually not fatal (unless bitten in the neck or other vulnerable area).

Since everyone is already infected, it's the results/effects of the zombie bite that are lethal, due to extreme infection or blood loss, etc.

Rick amputated Herchel's leg to avoid the quick acting infection of other pathogens that might cause death, not the zombie virus, since everyone already has that.

Quote:
But, since Andrea's sister got bitten, we've seen people not bitten get resurrected.
Yes, because you don't need to be bitten in order to die and then turn, since everyone already is infected with the zombie virus. Remember when Rick shot Shane -- and then Shane turned and Rick had to shoot him again? No bites involved at all.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #125
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

OK, I gotcha. I thought Shane coming back (and the guy Shane killed) was something new: everyone was surprised that someone came back without being bitten.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #126
Hank
AC•FTW

Rick knew all along, but didn't tell everyone else for a while on the farm... so yes, at some point, everyone else didn't know that they all were already infected.
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #127
Philosofy
Super Duper Member

OK, thanks for clearing that up. Although it would be a pretty good plot point if my idea was true.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #128
dirk1843
I'm your huckleberry

Spoiler:
Everyone was worried about T-Dog getting bit on the shoulder.....it was even mentioned that you couldn't "cut it off"

I think that without timely removal if possible, the zombie bites are fatal....more than just an open wound or normal infection.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #129
MacThor
Not Pictured

Unless Morgan's explanation in the pilot episode was intentional misdirection, I think it's been established that a bite causes an infection/fever that is lethal, which is separate from the infection (we all have) that causes re-animation.

At the time, the population (and audience) didn't realize the two were separate.
MacThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #130
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacThor View Post
... the infection (we all have) that causes re-animation...

Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote