TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 142 votes, 4.96 average.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:43 PM   #2431
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
guess I will upgrade the drive before I take the cable card out of my computer. Can I put a 3 tb in a TiVo roamio basic?
. Yes

HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #2432
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskierc View Post
I see Newegg says that WD replaced the WD30EURX with this one:

WD 3 TB WD Purple SATA III Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM AV Hard Drive 3 sata_6_0_gb 64 MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare or OEM Drives WD30PURX

Which drive would be the best choice? Or would the WD30EURS be a better choice? What is the difference between the three?
The reason another posted to search past posts here, is that NewEgg's declaration is FALSE, period. Don't want to take my word for it? Go to WD's website, or even call WD to ask them. I did, multiple times, and always got the correct information.

Some of the "confusion" might be due to WD officially renaming the AV-GP line to just "AV". Same drives, same model numbers, different official product name. The other thing is that if you want >4TB, there are no current free tools to prep for a TiVo (>3TB (4TB max) must be prepared first). Getting a drive ready to go >4TB requires paying WeaKnees to send you a prepared drive. Also, the AV-GP/AV does not exist (yet) in capacities greater than 4TB (which, itself, was slow to become available).

While the AV-GP/AV line is alive, well, and is not slated for End Of Life designation, at all, the -GP part of the name is only on old stock and/or outdated reseller/seller listings now. The only thing EOL'd was the -GP in the name. As with all drives lines, older models of the same thing have been EOL'd, like the ones ending in EURS (now replaced by EURX).

I won't go into details on why I'd never use a Purple myself, or advise others to use them (for a TiVo). I've peppered many threads (this one, especially) with all the details before. It just draws out the "any cheap drive will do" crowd, and then I either have to engage in battle, or look like I backed down. "Working", and being the best drive (and warranty) for your buck, are two different ends of a spectrum. Any plain WD "green" drive will "work", unless you bought a dud.

The WD Red line is the better workhorse drive, for those who want an AV-GP/AV alternative drive. Everything the AV-GP/AV drives can do, the WD Red drives can also do, and are held to a much higher workload (double) capacity than Purples. IMO, worth every penny extra, over the cost of a Purple.

I won't be drawn back into battles of the past, as the players, logic, and arguments never really change. Some simply advocate for the best, while some advocate for the cheapest (while also implying equality, thus cheaper is best, in their minds).

Your call to make on what you buy, nobody else's.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #2433
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Thanks nooneuknow. For some reason whenever I try to search the forums here, it never works for me. I'll take your word for it.

I was searching for a 3TB drive for my plus, stumbled upon New Egg and saw that message. I will probaby go for the WD30EURX then.

h2oskierc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #2434
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
guess I will upgrade the drive before I take the cable card out of my computer. Can I put a 3 tb in a TiVo roamio basic?
3TB is the max you can drop in a Roamio without any PC work.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:40 PM   #2435
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskierc View Post
Thanks nooneuknow. For some reason whenever I try to search the forums here, it never works for me. I'll take your word for it.

I was searching for a 3TB drive for my plus, stumbled upon New Egg and saw that message. I will probaby go for the WD30EURX then.
Yeah I hear you on the forum search function problem (almost useless, even to those who know how to make the most of it). A Google search, limited to within the forum, with the right parameters, is the best way to search TCF.

I've tried to get NewEgg to correct their "error". That error has led to other resellers (mostly marketplace ones) to follow NewEgg's lead. It's misinformation, but may be intentional, for all I know. For that alone, if I didn't known everything else I do, I wouldn't let myself get click-baited into buying a different drive than what I went looking to buy.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:37 PM   #2436
tootal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
3TB is the max you can drop in a Roamio without any PC work.
I have a pc. so how do I do this pc work?

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:58 PM   #2437
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
For a 3TB into a Roamio? NOTHING! Just swap out the drive for the 3TB.

OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #2438
Teeps

Quote:
The basic TiVo OS is embedded on the motherboard somewhere. PC no longer needed to do upgrade on Roamio models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
For a 3TB into a Roamio? NOTHING! Just swap out the drive for the 3TB.
Just connect the new hdd, after torture testing it first, TiVo will do the rest.

However, at present, there is no way to, expand the new HDD, and save recordings or settings to the new larger drive from the original drive.

Quote:
What happens to the cable card when a hard drive is replaced?
You will have to call your cable co and have it linked to the TiVo.
Should not be a problem.
Anecdote: the last time I did a hdd upgraded. The time warner cable card telephone agent asked if that is what I had done! She, then said: "no problem, I know just what to do." 10~15 minutes later TiVo was back on line...

Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:08 PM   #2439
telemark

Quote:
For 3TB you use PC to view post:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507695

For 4TB you use PC to view post:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=517860

More seriously, you can test the drive in the PC before either.

telemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:50 AM   #2440
don544

12 tb

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrake View Post
Weaknees says they sell up to 12 TB upgraded TiVo's. Anyone try to do this with a drive larger than 3 TB? With 51 pages, that would be a lot of reading through if someone did and said in here.
So still looking and searching ,did you ever find were someone did this other than weaknees?

don544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #2441
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by don544 View Post
So still looking and searching ,did you ever find were someone did this other than weaknees?
I know of a few people looking into it with results that looks promising, but busy with day jobs is why it isn't done by now.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #2442
don544

That is true

Quote:
Originally Posted by telemark View Post
I know of a few people looking into it with results that looks promising, but busy with day jobs is why it isn't done by now.
Understand about the day job

don544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #2443
lessd

12Tb in a Roamio is what, over 1800 hours of HD record storage, or 75 days of recordings if watched 24/7. This need must be for archiving, is not a RAD server a much better choice for that then a 12Tb TiVo drive setup, as if a single drive goes bad, poof, all is lost.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:30 PM   #2444
unitron

Quote:
For 3TB you use PC to view post:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507695

For 4TB you use PC to view post:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=517860

More seriously, you can test the drive in the PC before either.
Both snarky and helpful and informative.

I stand in awe.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:32 AM   #2445
Mikeguy

(I just finished reading all 82 pp. of this thread. (OK, I admit that I skimmed through the not-few posts that were more than a screen long . . . . Folks, really?) Apart from my migraine, do I also now get a free 3TB drive with which to upgrade my new Roamio? )

Mikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:30 AM   #2446
telemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Both snarky and helpful and informative.

I stand in awe.
I think I picked up the snarkiness here. Learned from the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeguy View Post
(I just finished reading all 82 pp. of this thread. (OK, I admit that I skimmed through the not-few posts that were more than a screen long . . . . Folks, really?) Apart from my migraine, do I also now get a free 3TB drive with which to upgrade my new Roamio? )
We were going to give one away but then couldn't agree which model would be best, so you're on your own.
Really that sounds like volunteering to write a summary warning to save the others who accidentally stray in from the same fate.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:49 AM   #2447
HarperVision

Quote:
Quote:
........We were going to give one away but then couldn't agree which model would be best, so you're on your own. Really that sounds like volunteering to write a summary warning to save the others who accidentally stray in from the same fate.
Maybe nooneuknow should give him a WD AV-GP 3TB drive for free for having to deal with those long winded diatribe (yet informative!), War & Peace style posts.

Old 02-25-2015, 08:21 PM   #2448
astrohip
Stuart F

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Maybe nooneuknow should give him a WD AV-GP 3TB drive for free for having to deal with those long winded diatribe (yet informative!), War & Peace style posts.
Speaking of which, where is NOuK? Haven't seen him in a while.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 12:25 AM   #2449
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I don't know......I swear, you're not gettin' me to talk, I'm not a blabber mouth, copper!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-741551705.jpg (37.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 02-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #2450
Mikeguy

A Roamio hard drive upgrade summary attempt ...

Quote:
I think I picked up the snarkiness here. Learned from the best.

We were going to give one away but then couldn't agree which model would be best, so you're on your own.
Really that sounds like volunteering to write a summary warning to save the others who accidentally stray in from the same fate.
Actually had considered that, by the time that I got to the end. But then I got fearful that I just would be stirring up more debate . . . . It's too bad that this board does not have a Wiki feature at the top of the threads, where contributors collaboratively can place and refine the wisdom of the threads--especially helpful with, um, long threads.

Having said that, and especially for those new to this hard drive upgrade thread, the gist, as I follow it (without writing a treatise or going back and researching) and subject to others' commentary/corrections/expansion:

-- yes, the hard drive in all flavors of the Roamios can be upgraded

-- the upgrade process is almost at the level of plug-and-play: open the Roamio case (just a few screws; 1 or 2 Torx screwdrivers required, depending on Roamio unit or model), unscrew and remove the old hard drive (again, limited screws, and Torx screwdriver required), screw the new hard drive in, and close up the case (if I recall correctly, Torx size 8 and 10 screwdrivers are required for the Roamio basic and a Torx 10 screwdriver for the Roamio Plus and Pro, but you may wish to verify this above--also, the screw sizes may have changed over time)

-- the Roamio Plus and Pro cases will slide off after the case screws are removed, while the basic's case has 3 internal tabs that will require the top to be twisted off a bit, perhaps assisted by pushing in on the sides of the case (has been recommended: watch a YouTube video on the Roamio upgrade process, to see this in action)

-- no special treatment of the replacement hard drive is needed, for drives up to 3TB; simply plug the Roamio in after the hard drive upgrade and the unit will do what is needed to it, with your simply needing to go through the regular guided setup again

-- hard drive upgrade sizes: up to 3TB hard drives, without any special preparation of the hard drive needed; for drives over 3TB, the drive will need to be prepared through a computer first

-- any previously-recorded shows will be lost with the upgrade; to save them, you may transfer them from the Roamio (before the upgrade) to your computer (using the TiVo Desktop Plus pay software or pyTivo freeware) or to another TiVo DVR on your network and then back again after the upgrade

-- any previous cable card pairing will be lost in the upgrade and will need to be repeated

-- previous Season Passes will be lost--but, as I understand it, it is possible to save them before the upgrade and then to reapply them after, using the kmttg freeware or, possibly, through the TiVo website (I'm unclear as to this latter possibility--it only may apply as to moving from an earlier TiVo model to the Roamio, or I may have misunderstood)

-- often recommended for the upgrade (but certainly not mandatory or exclusive--successful upgrades have been done with other drives), Western Digital green and red hard drives; personally, I like what I've read about the Western Digital model WD30EURX (see the many positive Amazon.com comments about it from Roamio owners doing upgrades)--note also Western Digital model WD30EFRX

-- the upgrade can be done at any time, that is, with a new Roamio and before ever turning it on (having said that, in my mind, I'd check the unit out first, to make sure that it is working), after the Roamio initially has been checked out, or thereafter--but in determining the timing, note the issues surrounding the loss of recordings and settings

-- opening the Roamio case could void the TiVo warranty and TiVo could deny future warranty or other service; having said that, TiVo seemingly has been more generous than not in this area in the past, when matters are not shoved in its face, and there are no tamper-proof seals on the Roamio (one might want to retain the original drive and put it back in the machine in case the Roamio needs to be returned for TiVo service--but note that TiVo machine logs may indicate the interim hard drive replacement regardless, if the warranty issue gets pushed).

Perhaps this attempt at a summary will assist others. Also, recommended especially to look at the first page (or pages) of this thread and the pictures there--very helpful, indeed. And many thanks to all for their efforts and information here!

Old 02-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #2451
lpwcomp

Quote:
-- any previously-recorded shows will be lost with the upgrade; to save them, you may transfer them from the Roamio (before the upgrade) to your computer (using the TiVo Desktop Plus pay software or pyTivo freeware) or to another TiVo DVR on your network and then back again after the upgrade
Only works for non-copy protected recordings. Very problematic if your cable company copy protects most everything but locals.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #2452
Mikeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Only works for non-copy protected recordings. Very problematic if your cable company copy protects most everything but locals.
Absolutely right--thanks for the addition. Less problematic in the over-the-air world.

And so, even pyTivo won't transfer copy-protected shows?

Old 02-26-2015, 04:12 PM   #2453
lpwcomp

Quote:
Absolutely right--thanks for the addition. Less problematic in the over-the-air world.

And so, even pyTivo won't transfer copy-protected shows?
Correct. It's not the PC program that is in control of what can be transferred, it is the TiVo.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #2454
foghorn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Gee, thanks for that, but I'm not uninstalling it and spending about ~$125 for another 3TB HD "just in case" something happens to it in a couple years. It's been installed for a few months now, btw. You must drive yourself absolutely insane with your OCD.
Well I have 2 basics, one with the EZRX the other with the EURS both 2TB.
We will see which one outlasts the other or me. Still would be inconclusive since one could just be a bad lemon. We would need more samples.

foghorn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM   #2455
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I think he may be using a different name.

cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM   #2456
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry ghost View Post
I think he may be using a different name.
I'm thinking you're probably right.

Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM   #2457
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

TC CLUB MEMBER
Wow!

I spend a couple weeks not posting, and you guys start speculating and gossiping like a bunch of high school girls...

I'd blush, if there was an emoticon for that. (close enough?)

@Mikeguy: Good summary. Now, just make all of that fit into the size of text message, or tweet, without losing any of the important specifics/details, make it a sticky post, and everybody will be happy!

@HarperVision: Nah. Others will come, they'll still complain how many pages or posts there are, and like sands through the hourglass, blah, blah, blah... (War & Peace enough for ya?)

@telemark: Good zinger of a post on how to use a PC to upgrade.

@astroship: I think it's best we don't talk to each other, don't talk about each other, and just mutually agree to disagree on everything (quietly).

@all: Unless something new and relevant happens with the hard drives of the right profiles for TiVo use, is there really anything I haven't already covered, in triplicate (at minimum)? If anybody is about to say no, you haven't read the whole thread. Cheaters!

Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM   #2458
SVTarHeel

I neglected to follow-up my post from a couple of weeks ago. I RMA'ed my bad 1TB WD Green and got a replacement. I ran both WD diagnostic tests and then ran SpinRite level 5. Everything was passed, so I copied the original 320GB drive over, expanded and supersized it, and all is right with the world.

SVTarHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:06 AM   #2459
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
..........@HarperVision: Nah. Others will come, they'll still complain how many pages or posts there are, and like sands through the hourglass, blah, blah, blah... (War & Peace enough for ya?) ............
Haha yeah, that'll work Welcome back!

P.S. - Do I know you?

Old Today, 01:15 AM   #2460
Mikeguy

Highly recommended, for people looking to upgrade: watch the 1-2 or so YouTube videos on the upgrade process (search on, "upgrade Roamio"). Very helpful, especially for Roamio basic owners and dealing with the box's lid, to see the process in action. And then combine with the info. above and it looks like one is set to go.