TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #31
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
how does an insulated cup help cool coffee down to their aforementioned ideal drinking temperature quickly?
well they did mention several times that it takes "about 5 minutes" for it to cool down. Is that any shorter cooldown than without them? Are the Joulies actually helping it cool down? That's what I wondered.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #32
mcb08
Hoya for life!!

According to their presentation, the joulies do extract heat from the coffee initially, making the cool down quicker.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #33
JETarpon

http://www.marco.org/2011/08/10/coffee-joulies-review
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #34
Ment

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb08 View Post
According to their presentation, the joulies do extract heat from the coffee initially, making the cool down quicker.
I have no doubt they work, they just take so much mass to do so and I bet the difference between the Phase Change Material and just a same sized object that is solid stainless is small.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #35
mcb08
Hoya for life!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ment View Post
I have no doubt they work, they just take so much mass to do so and I bet the difference between the Phase Change Material and just a same sized object that is solid stainless is small.
So it would appear:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JETarpon View Post

Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #36
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
well they did mention several times that it takes "about 5 minutes" for it to cool down. Is that any shorter cooldown than without them? Are the Joulies actually helping it cool down? That's what I wondered.
i dont drink coffee but when i used to get a hot chocolate out, the tiny cup kept it boiling for well over 5 minutes..my burnt tongue was proof of that

so in this case i'm confident in saying that any traditional insulated cup is designed to keep something HOT, not cool it down.

matter of fact i can distinctly see advertising for thermoses and the like saying keeps hours hot etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #37
JETarpon

Quote:
There's another one I found besides the one I linked above that compared joulies to rocks. There was no significant difference.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #38
Ment

Quote:
There's another one I found besides the one I linked above that compared joulies to rocks. There was no significant difference.
If it were available, I'd buy a thermos type mug that had a metal sleeve in it as a heatsink. Cool the coffee for the initial sips and keep it warmer at the end.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #39
inaka

It's all fun and games until someone chips their tooth on a joulie...
inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #40
JETarpon

Quote:
If it were available, I'd buy a thermos type mug that had a metal sleeve in it as a heatsink. Cool the coffee for the initial sips and keep it warmer at the end.
Just keep your thermos in the fridge and pull it out when ready to fill it.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #41
Ment

Quote:
Just keep your thermos in the fridge and pull it out when ready to fill it.
That accomplishes the 1st but not the second. My current solution is to leave the top off and take sips then close it for the rest the day.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #42
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Slightly OT-I was watching "Fringe" the other day and the Observers were in an apartment and one of them picked up a coffee mug and said "It's still warm, they could not have gotten far.." and I thought, "Unless they are using JOULIES!"
BA HA HA!
Old 01-16-2013, 02:07 PM   #43
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
Slightly OT-I was watching "Fringe" the other day and the Observers were in an apartment and one of them picked up a coffee mug and said "It's still warm, they could not have gotten far.." and I thought, "Unless they are using JOULIES!"
BA HA HA!
you've just thrown a wrench into every csi ep

!

Old 01-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #44
pmyers

Quote:
LOL...too true.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #45
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
LOL! I don't watch CSI-they do that a lot, huh? Maybe they will see this and JOULIES will get some product placement-maybe it will be a plot point in an upcoming ep!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #46
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by inaka View Post
But how would that be any different than the energy impact of creating/shipping/delivering ice cream to a store like baskin Robbins, etc? You still have to truck standard ice cream in trucks capable of transporting frozen goods. So shipping canisters alone is far easier on e environment unless a T-1000 is around. Then, more importantly, you have to keep standard ice cream frozen at each store, requiring high energy items like large freezers for each store, and a wasteful process where freezers are opened and closed constantly throughout the day when scooping, etc.
Again, I don't know the actual comparisons, but it's analogous to each person having their own coal power plant vs one big coal power plant.. The one big coal power plant can be more efficient and have more stringent pollution controls than if everyone had their own.

(Coal power is yucky, I'm purposely using a dirty power source as an example -- with things like solar or maybe even fuel cells/bloom boxes -- we may eventually get to the point where having each person have their "own" power plant or for a small group of homes IS more efficient.)

I just thought that cooling down tanks of nitrogen to use to make ice cream ONE BY ONE MIGHT use more energy than simply using a freezer to cool a whole GIANT BATCH of ice cream one by one..
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #47
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
LOL! I don't watch CSI-they do that a lot, huh? Maybe they will see this and JOULIES will get some product placement-maybe it will be a plot point in an upcoming ep!
or criminals will start using them and plant them in human bodies then when the law and order coroner says the body is still warm, this just happened, and you have an alibi for hours ago, you are covered!

!

Old 01-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #48
JETarpon

Won't work. Human body temperatures aren't above 140 degrees.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #49
newsposter
Poster of News

you can adjust the compostion of the device to lower the temp

!

Old 01-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #50
mattack

The FUBU guy was on a very recent Adam Carolla episode… Some interesting things, hopefully I remembered them correctly.

I think he said that the talks are *1-2 hours*. This one I'm less sure about (I was paying slightly less attention to this part), but I'm not sure if that meant just the original pitch or the pitch + shark offers, etc. That sounds like an AWFULLY long time for something that's around 8-10 minutes of screen time (IIRC, 3-4 pitches per 40-42-minute show).

What I'm more sure of is that he said there was 6 months - longer (either 6-9 months or 6 months to a year) of vetting for each "deal". Even if each of their or Shark Tank underlings was doing much of that work, that sounds like an AWFUL lot of work since they each keep piling on more deal each week.

He also said 50-60% of them go through.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #51
pmyers

Well on Survivor, tribal councils can last for hours for only a few minutes of screen time so I'm not surprised.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #52
mattack

I thought tribal councils were around 45 minutes of real time.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #53
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I thought tribal councils were around 45 minutes of real time.
I've seen many interviews with Probst were he mentions they can take hours. Sometimes it takes the contestants that long to let down their guard and make good tv.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #54
newsposter
Poster of News

and on apprentice it's the same, heck they had 2 hour saturday night eps just so we could see the boardroom

!

Old 01-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #55
inaka

'Shark Tank' entrepreneur wrecks at Daytona

Quote:
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- Millionaire entrepreneur Robert Herjavec was involved in a wreck in the inaugural Ferrari Challenge event at Daytona International Speedway.

Herjavec, a star on ABC's "Shark Tank," veered off the 3.56-mile road course Friday after getting hit from behind on the seventh lap.

Herjavec was transported to the infield care center, where he was treated and released. His Ferrari was towed to the garage for repairs.

He expects the sports car to be ready for the second of two 15-lap races Saturday. "thx everyone 4 your concern-medical released me-rammed from behind- frustrated but OK-car should be OK for race (hash) 2 tmrow," Herjavec posted on his Twitter page.
http://news.yahoo.com/shark-tank-ent...231553493.html

best yahoo comment:
"Hit from behind, and for that reason, I'm out".

inaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #56
mattack

the 2nd one is almost as good:

the hospital that treated him wanted $10,000 and 20% of his company