TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
warrenn

Any way, on tivo or other website, to get a list of shows with duplicates removed?

When I search for shows on my Tivo or the tivo.com website, the resulting list has every match for that show or type of show. In some cases, there can be thousands of duplicates. For example, if I search for Movies, I'll see a list like this:

1/10 The Fog 10:00 am Channel 15
1/10 The Fog 10:00 am Channel 225
1/10 The Fog 10:00 am Channel 1220
1/10 Turtles 11:00 am Channel 17
1/10 The Fog 11:15 am Channel 22
1/10 Turtles 11:30 Channel 219

There will be lots of duplicates as the same movie is shown on several channels and at several times. It's cumbersome to browse through when I'm looking for movies to be recorded. What I instead would prefer is just a list of all matching titles with duplicates removed. So instead I would like to just see:

The Fog
Turtles

And then I can click on the show I want to see all the available times when that show is being broadcast.

Is there anything like this anywhere? It doesn't have to be on Tivo or the tivo.com website. I would gladly use another website to find the shows I'm interested in and then enter the specific showtimes into Tivo to be recorded.

ETA: Are there places for me to search and download the whole list as a text file? I can sort it myself. I would want the whole list (all X days) and not just the one page of results (e.g only the first 5 results)

Last edited by warrenn : 01-21-2013 at 03:29 PM.
warrenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
innocentfreak

You can try Zap2it.com. It will still list duplicates, but you might like the formatting more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenn View Post
1/10 The Fog 10:00 am Channel 15
1/10 The Fog 10:00 am Channel 225
1/10 The Fog 10:00 am Channel 1220
These don't look like "duplicates" to me. It appears to be an analog version, a SD digital version, and an HD version.

Remove duplicate channels from "channels I receive" and you won't see the useless SD versions when you have the channel in HD.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
warrenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
These don't look like "duplicates" to me. It appears to be an analog version, a SD digital version, and an HD version.

Remove duplicate channels from "channels I receive" and you won't see the useless SD versions when you have the channel in HD.

That often is the case, but not always. If you subscribe to a premium channel package like HBO, you might have 10 different HBO channels. They often show the same movies across several of the channels.

The reason I'm asking is actually for this reason. The cable company gave me 5 premium channels for a few months (HBO, Show, Max, TMC, Starz). With each one having multiple versions, there are lots of duplicates for the same movies.

That's a good idea about removing the SD versions. That will help get rid of some of the duplicates.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Arcady
Stargate Fan

The reason I think they are all the same channel is because they all start at the same time. Different HBO channels almost never play the same movie at the same time, but the SD and HD versions of the same channel would.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
jrtroo
User

Try browsing by movies and the various collections. Not my favorite method, but it will only show each movie once.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
HerronScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Try browsing by movies and the various collections. Not my favorite method, but it will only show each movie once.
That's what I was going to suggest as well. I skim through the list of HD movies every so often to see if there's a movie we missed that I'd like to record for future viewing.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
warrenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Can you clarify what you mean by "browsing by movies and the various collections"? I just tried looking at Movies:Comedies and I saw duplicates of the same movie at different times, but maybe I'm doing it wrong.