TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2012, 10:32 PM   #31
rainwater

I see no reason it doesn't support PCs either. I use Slingbox in the house all the time. Having a stream would be a no brainer since it would allow uninterrupted streaming without affecting what is shown on the TiVo. However, limiting it to iPhones means I have no incentive to ever purchase one.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #32
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
I see no reason it doesn't support PCs either.
I think you mean "MS-Windows". "PC" doesn't truly mean anything definitive.

I would want Linux support, then! (Unlikely, since it has no DRM). And they should do MacOS too!
Old 12-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #33
Dan203
Super Moderator

The Stream uses encrypted HLS which, from what I can tell, is a standard supported by most web browsers. So they should, in theory, be able to support streaming on any platform. Although writing the app portion that goes around the Stream is a little more difficult and they'll likely have to weigh the benefits and costs of supporting each platform. Unless they rewrite it in HTML5, then they could release it on practically any platform. Although adaption to various screen resolutions might still be a problem.

Dan
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #34
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
The Stream uses encrypted HLS which, from what I can tell, is a standard supported by most web browsers. So they should, in theory, be able to support streaming on any platform. Although writing the app portion that goes around the Stream is a little more difficult and they'll likely have to weigh the benefits and costs of supporting each platform. Unless they rewrite it in HTML5, then they could release it on practically any platform. Although adaption to various screen resolutions might still be a problem.

Dan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming

It is not yet a "real" standard. Nor would I describe it as greatly cross-platform or in most browsers (doesn't appear to have Firefox support at all, for example) yet. Looks like it has promise, though.

But what about non-proprietary or non-locked-down OS's? That is a key to me.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #35
Dan203
Super Moderator

The encryption is based on HTTPS so it shouldn't matter if the OS is locked down or not, the connection and the content will still be secure. The iOS app even stores the "downloaded" videos in encrypted HLS format, so the decryption doesn't happen until playback time, which means it should satisfy the "protected path" provision of the Cable Labs requirement regardless of which OS it is deployed on.

Dan
Old 12-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #36
flashedbios

any reason why tivo had to make a separate piece of hardware to do this streaming and couldnt just roll it up in a software update?
flashedbios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #37
Dan203
Super Moderator

Because the TiVo hardware does not have enough horsepower to do the recoding and iPads, and most other mobile devices, do not support the MPEG-2 format that most channels are broadcast in.

One of the higher ups at TiVo mentioned that this transcoding capability will likely be built in to a future TiVo platform. The separate box is just a way to make it available to current in spite of the aforementioned limitations.

Dan
Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #38
flashedbios

wow! mpeg-2 is the most standard video format out there! im surprised that the ipad and iphone don't natively support those codecs.
flashedbios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #39
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashedbios View Post
wow! mpeg-2 is the most standard video format out there! im surprised that the ipad and iphone don't natively support those codecs.
It's not really an issue for mobile devices since there are hardly any streaming services that stream mpeg-2 since it is so large most people would have bandwidth issues streaming it over the internet. I would imagine that type of data would kill the battery in almost any mobile device even if they had the hardware support.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #40
igirl
Tivo and EyeTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsean View Post
Guys,

That slick deals site has info how you can get the TiVo Stream for $110 shipping and no taxes for most. Go there and search under the "hot deals" forum.
We paid full price but were the first on our block to get one! :-)
Old 12-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #41
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Mobile devices are typically limited in both disk space and bandwidth to download videos, either via USB or network. MPEG-4/H.264 was mainly chosen for space/bandwidth reasons then compatibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
I would imagine that type of data would kill the battery in almost any mobile device even if they had the hardware support.
Actually MPEG-2 requires less processing power to decode then H.264 so if a device had specific hardware to decode MPEG-2 it would likely have better battery life then decoding H.264. However most devices don't have hardware MPEG-2 decoders so they use CPU based decoders when they do support MPEG-2 and CPU decoders will eat up the battery a lot faster then a hardware decoder.

Dan
Old 12-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #42
kcossabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Link...

The Stream is a cool toy if you have an iPad.

Dan
Has anyone tried one? My iPad locks up and reboots my Premier, so I assume the same buggy code is on the streamer?
kcossabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #43
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have one and use it every day. It has never locked up my iPad or caused my Premiere to reboot.

Dan
Old 12-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #44
MichaelK

Quote:
for a time MS windows didn't either- you had to buy a separate software package to get a license. It's something of a cost issue if i recall as the people that own the patents for MPEG2 ask for a few bucks a device royalty. MS at the time argued that it was silly to pay for MPEG2 on every windows machine when only some users would ever use it. Apple would probably say the same thing while doing their best to bash MPEG2 and say there are "better" options out there.

Along the same lines I don't believe that android OS devices natively play mpeg2 either- same cost issue- but more complex- a free open source OS can't include the required licenses since no one is paying for the OS- so it can't even be included. The device manufacturer might add it but the OS doesn't include it.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-2

Quote:
MPEG Licensing Authority, a private patent licensing organization, has acquired rights from over 20 corporations and one university to license a patent pool of approximately 640 worldwide patents, which it claims are the "essential" to use of MPEG-2 technology, although many of the patents have since expired.[33][34] Where software patentability is upheld, the use of MPEG-2 requires the payment of licensing fees to the patent holders. Other patents are licensed by Audio MPEG, Inc.[35] The development of the standard itself took less time than the patent negotiations.[36][37] Patent pooling between essential and peripheral patent holders in the MPEG-2 pool is the subject of a study by the University of Wisconsin.[38] Over half of the patents expire in 2012.[39]

According to the MPEG-LA Licensing Agreement MPEG-LA, any use of MPEG-2 technology is subject to royalties.

Encoders are subject to a royalty of $2.00 per unit.
Decoders are subject to a royalty of $2.00 per unit.[40]
Royalty-based sales of encoders and decoders are subject to different rules and $2.50 per unit.[40]
Also, any packaged medium (DVDs/Data Streams) is subject to licence fees according to length of recording/broadcast.
In the case of free software such as VLC media player (which uses the ffmpeg library) and in which the software is not sold, the end-user bears the royalty.[citation needed]

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #45
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Along the same lines I don't believe that android OS devices natively play mpeg2 either- same cost issue-
The primary reasons most portable electronics don't include MPEG2 support:

* MPEG2 is just not used much outside of broadcast TV.
* MPEG2 streams are more than twice the size of "modern" codecs, requiring twice the storage space and twice the bandwidth.
* Licensing costs for something with low demand.
* No hardware support (which is needed in the GPU/chipset to play video without taxing the CPU and battery)
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #46
pesto126

Curious about this.. would you be able to:
a) use the stream to send a program to your ipad and then....
b) use the ipad and Apple TV to stream that show to a TV?

If so, then all you would need would be a stream and an Apple TV to create a remote viewing experience on the big screen... will that work?

Thx!
pesto126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #47
Dan203
Super Moderator

There is a way to use AirPlay if you have a jail broken iPad. However without the jail break AirPlay is disable as is HMDI/component output.

Dan