Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-19-2013, 08:04 AM   #31
TriBruin

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
That was my point. They tried to get the viewers to root for Karen and make Ivy look like the bad guy (and believe me, I wanted to root for Karen), but it was simply not believable that any Broadway casting director would have a difficult time choosing between those two.

Granted, there were many, many other problems. But the central premise of the ultra-talented newcomer who doesn't get the starring role solely because she wouldn't sleep with the director simply didn't hold water
Honestly, when the show first premiered, I didn't think either Karen or Ivy would ever have been considered for the show. Meagan Hilty may be a Broadway star, but Ivy was a career chorus member, with not even any supporting roles in her portfolio. A role as iconic as Marilyn Monroe would almost require an established Broadway star to open.
TriBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #32
Eptiger
TiVo N00b

I guess I'm the only person who thought season 2 was less ridiculous than season 1 =P I liked the songs better in season 1, but I felt like the story was in a good direction in season 2. Then again, people seem to love Nashville and I can't stand it. If Smash is a soap opera, Nashville is a bipolar telenovella.

Alas, I will miss Megan Hilty and Katherine McPhee on my TiVo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eptiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:54 AM   #33
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBruin View Post
Honestly, when the show first premiered, I didn't think either Karen or Ivy would ever have been considered for the show. Meagan Hilty may be a Broadway star, but Ivy was a career chorus member, with not even any supporting roles in her portfolio. A role as iconic as Marilyn Monroe would almost require an established Broadway star to open.
I think, a lot of times, in movies anyway, they get a "no name" to play a very famous character. I think it brings the character to the forefront and not the actress. I guess it depends on the intent of the producer/director.

I always felt that Ivy just LOOKED more like Marilyn than Karen. Her body type was more like Marilyn than Karen's. So at first I was rooting for Ivy, since I felt that Karen was wrong for the part. And then it was obvious they were trying to make Karen the more likable.

Shame the show went away from what I thought it would be (and what the producers told us it would be) and ended up a typical night time soap, with Glee elements, rather than the real behind the scenes of making a Broadway show, which they started to veer away from toward the end of S1 and completely away from this season. That's why I stopped watching.