TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
theanswriz42

Is it possible to network multiple TiVo Premiere XL devices together?

Hey, I'm new here and did a forum search but didn't find much. I was wondering if I could network multiple premiere XL boxes together to share out any recorded shows among one another? Basically just to watch recorded shows in other rooms in the house.

Cheers
theanswriz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Yes, it is a central feature of TiVo DVRs.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
theanswriz42

Awesome, that makes my decision to go with them much better. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Using a router, you can Network Tivos and computers. They can transfer or stream between them.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
mattack

YES, to share recordings (if they're not copy protected, you can COPY -- if they are copy protected, the newest Tivos can stream).. But NOT to share 'recording duties'. In other words, there is no 'cooperative scheduling' to take advantage of more tuners...
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
theanswriz42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
YES, to share recordings (if they're not copy protected, you can COPY -- if they are copy protected, the newest Tivos can stream).. But NOT to share 'recording duties'. In other words, there is no 'cooperative scheduling' to take advantage of more tuners...
So can each one schedule independently or are you still limited to only 2 recordings regardless of however many DVRs you have?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Each is independent on recording anything, each tivo is limited by how many tuners it has, not by how many Tivos are networked. Since Premiere has 2 tuners, they can each record from their own 2 tuners.

Cooperative scheduling is when recording is not available for a program because all the tuners are being used and is pushed to record on other DVRs, which Tivo is not capable of.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
theanswriz42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Each is independent on recording anything, each tivo is limited by how many tuners it has, not by how many Tivos are networked. Since Premiere has 2 tuners, they can each record from their own 2 tuners.

Cooperative scheduling is when recording is not available for a program because all the tuners are being used and is pushed to record on other DVRs, which Tivo is not capable of.
Great, thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #9
PCurry57
Liberal Hippie Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post

This is true of many dvr's. My first foray into TiVo was with DirecTV they didn't network out of the box but could be hacked to do so. Then I upgraded to HD and I was a Beta Tester for their whole home. No shared scheduler. You had to do your own planing to share recording duties. If scheduling two progarms in same time slot use each dvr to record one. This leave one tuner each to record on the fly or watch another program.

MyTiVo actually lets you nanage the season passes online and move them from one series 4 to another. This the DirecTV HD dvrs HR2x doesnt do. When I moved and the eve of the roof on my balconey prohibited the rather larger slimline 5lnb swms dish from hitting sat. I had to switch to TimeWarner. Wasn't going to lease their DVR not at their price so I bought Premiere and lifetime service.

The DirecTV dvrs only stream they don't transfer. The playlist is integrated so you scroll a combined list and you can delete. I'm sure these are features TiVo will eventually add. TiVo iz da bomb. Or as I like to say what all DVR's aspire to grow up to be.

Saving my $ for another XL
PCurry57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCurry57 View Post
The DirecTV dvrs only stream they don't transfer. The playlist is integrated so you scroll a combined list and you can delete. I'm sure these are features TiVo will eventually add. TiVo iz da bomb. Or as I like to say what all DVR's aspire to grow up to be.
Premieres can stream as well and you can remote delete programs, so other than integrated playlist (which I personally wouldn't want) those features are already there.
As for cooperative scheduling there is a semblance of that already using kmttg where you can search for programs and schedule them instantly on any Premiere in your home. Since kmttg has information on the combined ToDo lists of all Premieres when you look at Guide, Search, Will Not Record, etc tables all programs scheduled to record are marked, so it's much easier to do cooperative management. In Will Not Record list you can select a program that won't record because of conflict and schedule to record it on other Premieres in your home, etc. You can also set it up to do all this from Internet (away from home). It's not automated but facilitated cooperative scheduling and something I don't think is available to other DVR solutions. Certainly makes managing multiple Premieres much easier than being completely independent.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
stlbluesfan74
Mike

Yesterday I just installed my second Premiere XL. I am very new to the networking thing. But so far I really love it.

In fact I have a cable card installed on my main Tivo and for the one in the bedroom I am using OTA only. So if I ever want to watch someting on cable, I can simply connect to the living rooom tivo. Saves me from having to by another cable card.
stlbluesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote