TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-16-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
sw10025

Tivo Desktop Plus - Attempted Downloads Failing

My Tivo Desktop Plus was working fine this afternoon, and then this evening, right after the support hours closed, started acting up. Basically, whenever I try to download a video, any video, from either of my Series 2 Tivos, it immediately fails, and nothing I've tried has gotten it working again.

Here's what I've already tried (not necessarily in order I tried them):

1. Rebooting my PC;

2. Repairing Tivo Desktop Plus (through the PC's control panel);

3. Removing and then putting back permissions to download videos in my account on tivo.com

4. Changing the discovery protocol from Bonjour for Windows to Tivo Beacon and back again (didn't work using either)

5. Making both the Tivos connect to the Tivo service (repeatedly)

6. I checked to see if I should re-input my media key but it looks like if I do that, I won't be able to access any of the many, many programs I have on the PC, so I didn't mess with that.

7. I killed all the Tivo related processes I saw in Windows Task Manager and tried reopening Tivo Desktop Plus

I'm out of ideas what I can try, and since I won't be able to talk to support until tomorrow, thought I'd ask here if anyone has any ideas what else I should try. Any thoughts?

Last edited by sw10025 : 02-16-2013 at 12:12 AM.
sw10025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

It seems to have nothing to do with the computer's side, ie: Tivo desktop, etc.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...11#post9526311

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
sw10025

Thank you for posting the link to that thread. I tried searching for the problem, but apparently I don't know any of the lingo that's contained in that discussion, most of its all way, way above my head. Fortunately, I did get the part about turning the clock back, eh voila, that seems to have resolved the problem!

Thank you so much for the link to that discussion!
Old 02-16-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
unitron

All hail notting for figuring it out:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=501069

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
MOJU

Big Grin Changing PC date worked for me, too

So glad I visited this forum, I had 16 shows to download since my Windows update on the 15th, and now, by changing my PC date back to the 12th, it all seems good again in the 'hood...
MOJU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
sw10025

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
All hail notting for figuring it out:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=501069
Indeed, thank you oh wise and benevolent one, notting, as well as those who pointed myself and others to the temporary resolution!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJU View Post
So glad I visited this forum, I had 16 shows to download since my Windows update on the 15th, and now, by changing my PC date back to the 12th, it all seems good again in the 'hood...
To repeat: It has nothing to do with Windows update. Or Windows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
BH9244

I seem to be having a similar problem, I normally use TivoPlaylist to transfer off my 2 premier units to a laptop for later viewing, every time I initiated a transfer the transfer would start then immediately terminate, I tried transferring with Tivo Desktop and that failed as well. I rolled back the date to the 13th and all seems to operate normally.
BH9244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:19 AM   #9
thorpemark

changing the date.. worked.. but why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH9244 View Post
I seem to be having a similar problem, I normally use TivoPlaylist to transfer off my 2 premier units to a laptop for later viewing, every time I initiated a transfer the transfer would start then immediately terminate, I tried transferring with Tivo Desktop and that failed as well. I rolled back the date to the 13th and all seems to operate normally.
I really hate the idea that the solution that works is to change the date on your PC. I'm happy that I am transferring again.. but c'mon now. The session ID timeout thing needs to be fixed.
thorpemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
awsnyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpemark View Post
I really hate the idea that the solution that works is to change the date on your PC. I'm happy that I am transferring again.. but c'mon now. The session ID timeout thing needs to be fixed.
There is a better way (much better actually, since modifying your computer's date could mess up other software), and it's pretty easy too. Morac, Cat God--but realistically TiVo god--came up with it and documented it here. If you're using Windows, you can edit the file in question by right-clicking and selecting Open With...Notepad.
awsnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
mrmega

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsnyde View Post
Morac, Cat God--but realistically TiVo god--came up with it ..... If you're using Windows, you can edit the file in question by right-clicking and selecting Open With...Notepad.
I applied his simple fix yesterday (which needed reboot on XP) and it has worked flawlessly (with the correct date/time) on a S2, S3 HD and a S4 HD using Tivo Desktop on a Windows XP machine

mrmega
mrmega is offline   Reply With Quote