TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
jhjones75

Stuck on Clear and Delete

I've got a Series 3 HD. It was working perfectly fine, however we replaced it with a Premiere and I was prepping to sell it.

Following the instructions I've done before I went into the Settings and did a Clear and Delete Everything.

It sat there for about 20 hours. It eventually changed from "deleting everytihng, this may take an hour" or whatever it says. Then it changed to "almost there, just a few minutes more." It sat there for about 10 hours. Being an IT guy (and a Windows guy), "reboot" is always my first response, so I tried that.

It's still stuck on "almost there, just a few minutes more" and has been for a few hours.

Any ideas? Is it bricked now? How do I get it back? We just purchased Lifetime for it so that we could sell it.
jhjones75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjones75 View Post
I've got a Series 3 HD. It was working perfectly fine, however we replaced it with a Premiere and I was prepping to sell it.

Following the instructions I've done before I went into the Settings and did a Clear and Delete Everything.

It sat there for about 20 hours. It eventually changed from "deleting everytihng, this may take an hour" or whatever it says. Then it changed to "almost there, just a few minutes more." It sat there for about 10 hours. Being an IT guy (and a Windows guy), "reboot" is always my first response, so I tried that.

It's still stuck on "almost there, just a few minutes more" and has been for a few hours.

Any ideas? Is it bricked now? How do I get it back? We just purchased Lifetime for it so that we could sell it.
Is it a TCD652160? Or a TCD648250(B)?

Is that the original hard drive inside it?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
jhjones75

It's the TCD652160

Yes, everything is original in it
Old 11-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
unitron

Quote:
It's the TCD652160

Yes, everything is original in it
Then the hard drive or power supply or both could have decided to pick this particular time to start giving trouble.

Did you get the $99 lifetime deal on it because of buying the Premiere?

Old 11-17-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
jhjones75

It was absolutely fine before running the clear and delete. I did a connect to tivo service now, then made sure it showed the lifetime service, then did the Clear and Delete. Seems suspicious that it chose to deny when I clicked that button.

When we went to cancel service on it they offered us the Lifetime deal for $99, which kicked in yesterday.

I've got it in Kickstart mode now, and hit option 57. It's doing the green screen thing so we'll see if that does anything.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
jhjones75

Well I checked it about 15 minutes after it started the GSOD and it was back to the "Almost there, just a few minutes more" screen. So not sure if that actually did anything.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
unitron

Do you have a #10 (and maybe a #15 as well) Torx bit?

Old 11-17-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
jhjones75

Yes
Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
unitron

Hook the drive to a PC (as long as it's not a GigaByte brand motherboard), run the drive manufacturer's long test to be sure the drive itself is okay, and then assume the software got scrambled and install from a good backup image, like the ones found here

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...01#post8831301

and if you don't have a free DropBox account, let me send you an invitation via them which will get both of us extra free space even if you open yours and never use it.

That way I can host images for other models as well.

Also, go learn about "capacitor plague" and inspect the power supply closely and carefully.

Even if you have to put some extra effort into this unit, you can sell it for just as much as if you'd originally paid $300 or more for lifetime.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
jhjones75

Actually, looking at the Tivo it says its an R65216 is that the same as the TCD652160?

Now all I have to do is find a PC I can try to hook it up to
Old 11-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #11
jhjones75

Hey Unitron, that worked like a charm! Scan didn't find any issues with the drive, but I just restored your image and everything worked great.

I'm going to have to do the clear and delete everything again. Do you think I might have the same issue again?

I don't have a dropbox account, but I'll PM you with my info so you can get the credit there.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
unitron

Quote:
Hey Unitron, that worked like a charm! Scan didn't find any issues with the drive, but I just restored your image and everything worked great.

I'm going to have to do the clear and delete everything again. Do you think I might have the same issue again?

I don't have a dropbox account, but I'll PM you with my info so you can get the credit there.
My image should have booted straight to the beginning of Guided Setup, which a new owner would need to go through anyway, so there's really nothing to clear and delete.

You could go through the minimum guided setup for your area to make sure the unit is working properly, and then once it seems to be okay, select guided setup again and unplug the unit at the start of it, which means that's where it will go when it's plugged in again.

I cannot guarantee that you or anyone else, including me, might not have problems connecting to the TiVo servers during GS or at any other time.

It's like the weather, someone or something else is in charge and you get what you get.

When you get the DropBox invitation, you have to actually install the program on your computer, but after that you don't have to use it if you don't want to, and they don't spam you.

Apparently you've already done so, and I haven't heard you screaming, so I leave these words as encouragement for others who can help me help fellow TCF'ers.